Busa Winter Storage Question...?

Busa429

Registered
For those of you who store your bikes, do you fog them before you put them away?  Do I have to pull the tank and airbox to do it?  It seems like the throttle bodies are really hard to get at.

I keep it in a heated garage all winter and can start it periodically, so I'm not sure it's worth it.

Thanks

Fog Them??? What's meant here? I dunno, I'd say take her out whe you got some dry patches and run her for 10 miles or so carefully when the roads are clear. Do they clear up there??? And then run it about once a week for a bit and I'd say you will be OK come Spring.

My .02 anyway....

Well Cool but I mean are we spraying for roaches or something?
rock.gif
Fog yer bike??? Que'?

No need to fog if it's in a heated garage. Mine is kept in a heated building and I start it about once a month and let it come up to temperature and then bring up the revs to about 3000 for a few minuites. Works for me.

By fogging, (for those who don't already know) I mean spraying "fogging oil" into the carbs while the engine is running and just before you shut it down for the season, the fogging oil coats the cylinders and other internal surfaces with a light coat of oil so they don't rust.  

It's kind of a northern climate thing, so I don't blame you southern folks for not knowing.  Your lucky and don't have to store your bikes (or boats, or hot rods, etc).

I think I'll go with Rocket1's plan.

Thanks!

I figured it was something like that. When I was in Colorado I just kept it running for the winter, tried to take it out every week if possible, if not, then I'd just let her run for awhile and move her ever week to keep her happy.

Thanks for getting back to me though. I'd never heard of Fogging Oil.. Used to use 10W40, a little squirt in each cylinder of my Plymouth. Then Crank her over a few times W/O the coil in place to move everything around. Seemed to work pretty well.

so as long as i start the bike once a week i wont have to winterize it?

I keep mine on a Battery Tender all winter and start it once a week, letting it come up to temperature. I also put on the winter riding suit and take it out as much as I can in dry weather. I've had mine since Aug. 2002 and haven't had any problems. The main thing is keeping the battery strong. Don't want any of those freaky high-compression kick-backs caused by a low battery that destroys things like starter gears and engine cases (I think this was only for the 02's and older though).

Keep warm!

Postal.

My battery has always been pretty weak. I bought the bike new last January and it had been sitting in the shipping crate for some time. It was ok this summer as long as I rode it often and didn't keep the high beams on (that's how bad it was). I've had to bump (roll) start it several times. I think I'll have to get a new battery in the spring and/or look into a battery tender.

Is this a common problem with the Busa's?

My battery has always been pretty weak.  I bought the bike new last January and it had been sitting in the shipping crate for some time.  It was ok this summer as long as I rode it often and didn't keep the high beams on (that's how bad it was).  I've had to bump (roll) start it several times.  I think I'll have to get a new battery in the spring and/or look into a battery tender.

Is this a common problem with the Busa's?
No, I don't think it is a common problem. There have been a couple of posts where folks have had too weak of a battery installed and it barely turns the motor over. There was even one post where a dealer swapped out the Busa battery for a cheaper battery. Don't play around with a weak battery, and you should never have to bump start the Busa under normal conditions where you are riding enough to keep it charged. Better get a good OEM Suzuki Hayabusa battery.

Postal.

you can get a bigger battery and install it i wish i could rember the number but my mechanic did this to mine the physical size is not much bigger but output and the amperage storage capacity is

Unfortunate for me i don't get to keep my bike in a heated garage or anything so i hook a batter tender up to it fill the tank full of fuel and add some stabilizer and if there is a chace to ride it in the winter months i try to but don't always happen have consider paying a buddy of mine a small fee to keep it in his show room though thats would be nice
biggrin.gif

Busa429, I went to my dealer to figure out what needed to be done for winter storage.

They recommended fogging it if you keep it outside to stop that condensation and rust. If you keep it inside, I don't think it would be necessary (but of course it wouldn't hurt.)

Iv'e also been told that if you store her outside (not a problem for you, but maybe someone else) that just starting her and running her for a little bit now and then is very bad. It allows for this condensation which we try to prevent by fogging the engine.

So basically the way I've read it is - store outside: change oil, stabilize, and fog, wash and wax, and tape up air intake and exhaust due to rodents. Store inside: change oil, stabilize, wash and wax, and rest is optional.

I think web bike world has a good article on winter storage for motorcycles. Do a search on google.

can someone pleasegon in depth on this fogging thing. Like what do u use and where do u spray? and any other info that might be useful to someone who has never fogged before

i've never done it but i assume the easiest and most effective way is to at least remove the air filter and if not the whole air boxs to acheive the best results and then spray the light coating of oil that you wanted down the throttle boddies and bump the motor over a bit

but thats just my guess on the procedure

Back