Winterizing

I read an article a while back about those "Storage Bubbles" now mind you I read it but did not investigate the "facts" I read. Please re-read the previous sentence before flying off and flaming me.

These bubbles while from the outside seem like a good idea, looking closer are really not such a good idea. They are inflated with an air pump/fan much like yard decorations. This is unfiltered, undried, untreated air. So there tends to be a build up of moisture in side the bubble along with dust that has no where to escape to. So now the bike is sleeping in moist dusty air.
I read this and it made sense to me, but again I did not investigate these facts. I had thought about one for my Harley but figured that being in a garage and being loved weekly was just fine for all of my bikes. And heck if it hits 35 degrees in January I will show them some real loving.:laugh:
i thought about that too, i figured i could fill it with my compressor through my drier.

For battery maintenance for the winter all I do is diconnect the ground wires on the battery. Leave the battery on the bike. In the spring reconnect the ground wires and bike has always started up no problems. Never had any battery problems this way. I use to take the battery out and bring it into the house and put a battery tender monthly (whenever I remembered to do this) and had more problems with the batteries that way. Had to replace a few. Doing it how I do it now is the easiest and IMO best way.

Rumble

Lucky i live in the south.. so mostly don't worry.. bad thing im in the military so i have to leave her for months at a time :( thanks for the info!

For battery maintenance for the winter all I do is diconnect the ground wires on the battery. Leave the battery on the bike. In the spring reconnect the ground wires and bike has always started up no problems. Never had any battery problems this way. I use to take the battery out and bring it into the house and put a battery tender monthly (whenever I remembered to do this) and had more problems with the batteries that way. Had to replace a few. Doing it how I do it now is the easiest and IMO best way.

Rumble
one of the lucky few... a battery tender is a good idea for most..

I just "acquired" a pair of 2007 ZX600R Kawi's and they were stored with "full" tanks for the last 2 years and the gas still smells fresh.. The batteries? both are toast.. refuse to accept any charge and so just replaced them..

Both bikes fired right up.. took maybe 20 seconds for each to start hitting on all 4 cylinders.. 'whew'

Last edited:
This will be my first experience "winterizing" a bike. Used to just leave whatever.. and charge battery. Live in Oklahoma so i does get cold here. It will most likely be in my seperate storage shed with a vented roof. What do you mean by the flush the coolant lines? Put change the coolant? Sorry for being a noob, but want to take the right measures.

sorry if someone said it already but u should put fuel stabilizer in the gas tank to help the fuel from going bad.... and yes fuel does go bad everyone

Umm I got a problem.... I put fuel stabilizer in and a oil change. Put it on stands but no engine 'fogger' thing. Then in the middle of winter I took the whole tank off to get repainted. Unforuntaly the painter scuffed the heat shield under the tank when painting it. Anyways the bike isn't covered and the garage isn't heated but gets pretty cold... -25 maybe( I'm in Canada so it's freaking ridiculous) Will I encounter any problems? The tank isn't on yet and I havent started her up just incase she blows up :whistle: any tips??

Back