Unexpected long term storage

Blkoutbusa

Registered
Quick question: Wife's bike (2001 GSXR 600) was put away last season after 250 miles of riding. Fuel stabilized and battery tender, all the usual winter sleep stuff lol

This season we had a baby so the bike has not moved or even been uncovered. is there anything special I should be doing to put it away for the winter or to keep it put away for the winter I should say in order to have a successful awakening in the spring?

Quick question: Wife's bike (2001 GSXR 600) was put away last season after 250 miles of riding. Fuel stabilized and battery tender, all the usual winter sleep stuff lol

This season we had a baby so the bike has not moved or even been uncovered. is there anything special I should be doing to put it away for the winter or to keep it put away for the winter I should say in order to have a successful awakening in the spring?

I'd change out the fuel, put new fuel and stabilizer in it and start it up and let it run for a bit to circulate new fuel through the system.

Also re-oil the chain so the links don't seize up...

Anything sitting that long isn't good however.

My biggest concern was the fuel. I have AMSOIL in there and they claim that it's stable for longer than other oils I didn't figure I'm going to change it considering it had only been ridden for 250 mi of the previous season and then even before that I think she may have rode a couple hundred miles a year before but I've changed it in the filter a year ago.

A baby?!? Congrats!! Pull the rear cowl off, put that seat & grab rail back on!!

My biggest concern was the fuel. I have AMSOIL in there and they claim that it's stable for longer than other oils I didn't figure I'm going to change it considering it had only been ridden for 250 mi of the previous season and then even before that I think she may have rode a couple hundred miles a year before but I've changed it in the filter a year ago.
Definitely flush the fuel and what most people don't know is stabil has a shelf life, sea foam is also am excellent stabilizer but even that I wouldn't expect to hold up for that period of time. If you can find it fill it with some ethanol free gas and of course ruin it to get the fresh stuff thru the system. Oil I wouldn't worry about till you pull it out next season. And as Mr. Brown said check the coolant and be sure it's good and topped off.

Is it difficult for you to crank it and take a quick short ride on occasion? Schedule doesn’t allow? That’s what I did with my wife’s bike because she will not ride it once it hit below a given temperature but I don’t like for any of mine to sit. Bike hasn’t been ridden much while she’s pregnant is understandable but did she ride it much before she was? How much time will she have to ride now given the new baby? Perhaps it’s time to sell it??

I would be more concerned with tank rust. Make sure it’s completely full of gas. If not, plan on the tank rusting.

if you can crank bike let run till warm, pull clutch in, and snap lever a few times,put in gear and move forward a few times. Pull clutch lever in and zip tie to handle bar and shut off to store. this will keep clutch pack from sticking.

I wouldn't bother with doing anything. If you used Seafood as a stabilizer it says on the can it's good for 2 years I believe. I ran my 14 very little 2 seasons ago and then not at all until the end of this season. I started it up a couple times in the warm weather just because I felt sorry for it. It was fine with ordinary winter storage routine being followed. Ran great the last month of summer and now it's back in storage again.

I wouldn't bother with doing anything. If you used Seafood as a stabilizer it says on the can it's good for 2 years I believe. I ran my 14 very little 2 seasons ago and then not at all until the end of this season. I started it up a couple times in the warm weather just because I felt sorry for it. It was fine with ordinary winter storage routine being followed. Ran great the last month of summer and now it's back in storage again.
"Seafood??" Let's hope not...!
:lol:

"Seafood??" Let's hope not...!
:lol:

just a couple of spoons of it in your tank and you are good to go for a few years of storage!!
Ive tried it and it does wonders....!!!

51248830_cioppino_1x1.jpg

When I placed my 750 in storage, I filled with oil to top of filler hole so plates wouldn't stick....and placed bike on front and rear stands

When I placed my 750 in storage, I filled with oil to top of filler hole so plates wouldn't stick....and placed bike on front and rear stands

I did that a few times with other bikes when I deployed as I knew I'd be gone for an entire riding season....I made out a checklist and put it in a zip lock bag and fastened it to the key...just in case....

I also drained all the fuel, dried the tank and then oiled the inside as I knew the fuel couldn't be stabilized that long.

I've got 4 more weeks of recovery before I can ride again. Need I worry about what little fuel is in the tank (< a gallon)? Would starting it up and letting it idle to norm op temp be advantageous? Parked outside, covered parking, rarely gets below 40 F. Advice for a month-long storage??

I've got 4 more weeks of recovery before I can ride again. Need I worry about what little fuel is in the tank (< a gallon)? Would starting it up and letting it idle to norm op temp be advantageous? Parked outside, covered parking, rarely gets below 40 F. Advice for a month-long storage??
Various thoughts and approaches to this, I’ve seen some maltreated bikes do just fine with much longer layoffs lots of folks have and had no ill affects

You can simply do nothing but disconnect battery and take it inside the house

I’d at least remove the battery, fill tank with gas and some sea foam and call it a day.

You could buy or borrow a battery tender?

Starting it but not riding it won’t really effectively charge the battery but it is better than leaving the battery connected and not starting it over that time period. Also running it like that brings discussions about condensation within the engine or oil getting acidic/contaminated from not being able to effectively burn off hydrocarbons and crap that I don’t care give any of my attention to lol.

Other option would be if you could pull a RoadToad and store the bike in the house for that time?

If I was closer I’d be happy to come ride it weekly for ya :poke:

Lastly stick to bikes with big powerful motors those pedal bikes will get you killed.

Get well soon Bro!

Back