BUSA vs MOD'D GSXR1000 top end report

mikeyusf

Registered
Alright, here is the report-

Mike:2002 Hayabusa w/ $100 in mods

-1 front sprocket
Zero Gravity Daytona Style Windscreen (the big windscreen)
30,000 miles riding experience
270 pound rider

Cal: 2002 GSXR 1000 w/ $3000 in mods

Stock Gearing
Arrow Full Race System
Power Commander w/ custom map
K&N Air Filter
TRE
Yosh Cams
60,000 miles experience
200 pound rider

Alright. off the line, Cal is ALWAYS been faster than me. But with the busa, I was able to stay within 1 bike length of him consistently. We were launching as hard as the bike would let us. Front tires were bouncing the air, 'mousetrappin', rear tire spinning, we were launching these bikes as hard as they would launch. I was launching at about 5000 RPMS and nearly dumping the clutch at half throttle. Sometimes I stayed even with him, sometimes I fell about a bike length back, but off the line the bikes were extremely close

Mid range we were even also. The GSXR1000 is considerably lighter, and Cal is lighter than me also. But through midrange, the bikes were almost dead even. I developed a technique that seemed to almost pull me ahead of him-

1) I would launch at 5000+rpms with front tire about 3 inches in the air, left foot on peg, right foot on ground
2) I would short-shift into second at about 9500rpm, and full throttle second
3) clutchless into third, stay tucked and I would be gaining on him very slowly

At top end, we were dead even. We did about 6 passes across Gandy Bridge at top end, rolling on at about 80mph, and we were DEAD even. We would ride over a mile at 186+mph and neither one of us even got an inch on the other. Trust me, we were watching to see if one of us would pull away, but it wasnt happening. I did "draft pass" him one time but that doesnt count, lol. Top end between the mod'd 1000 and busa was dead even.

Cornering- The busa and the 1000 are pretty close in street cornering. There is only so far you can go on Street Tires, and we didnt want to push it. We were even going into the corners, even through the middle, but the busa would jump about 3 bikes on him coming out because of the low end torque. Once the 1000 hit it's powerband it was dead even. The low end torque of the busa can really help blast it out of corners a split second before the other bikes will hit their powerband.

All in all, I was very impressed with how the busa held up the GSXR1000. At top end, with stock gearing and windscreen, and a TRE I am sure I could walk him. Off the line, the -1 front sprocket really showed it's value. Cal is an animal off the line, one of the fastest people I've ever seen. And I was able to keep up with him with the stock busa with -1 front sprocket.

Who won this test? Bike vs bike, it was pretty even considering street condition. Rider vs Rider? Cal is a much faster rider than I am. He rides in Miami and Ft Lauderdale, where some of the craziest and sickest riders live, and he's been riding down there for about 5 years, so he's a faster rider.

So to conclude, a slightly mod'd busa will hang with a tricked out GSXR1000. He has over $3,000 in mods to his bike, I have less than $100. We were even everywhere we raced.

It was definitely a fun time for both of us. But no one went home with any bragging rights, just melted rear tires, lol

hope this helps

Mike

SO this was the behaviour you were speaking of huh? Sounds like a good time, sorry I missed it...though I would have been watching all the excitement from about 50 yards behind you. Seems to be where I end up. Hey I would make an excellent Camera mount though, catch all the action ahead of me. Wait, hold on...If I am in Back I get the ticket...Hmmm....I better work on my launches...
Later

No way the busa can corner with GSXR1000. The weight of the bike alone allows it to carry way more corner speed the busa. Are you talking about Florida corners?

Marc "Howlin Mad"

come on Marc, we're talking about CITY streets on street tires. Not knee down at Daytona!

This was a test between friends, not for cycle world, we werent going to take the bikes to the ragged edge on city streets and kill ourselves, lol

Mike

This was a test between friends, not for cycle world, we werent going to take the bikes to the ragged edge on city streets and kill ourselves, lol[/QUOTE]
That would be a bad idea indeed
wink.gif

I can concur entirely: my fiancee drives a bone-stock 1000 and she does have some trouble keeping up in roll ons. On "winding" roads the're pretty much perfectly evened. On the track on the other hand ... Got my ass whooped on Zolder (belgium), Croix en Ternoux (or however you write that - France) and eventually on the "Green Hell". On Zolder she generally beats me by 3 to 4 seconds. I claimed it to be the difference in bike so i took hers for a spin ... and still was 2 seconds slower
lookaround.gif

come on Marc, we're talking about CITY streets on street tires. Not knee down at Daytona!

This was a test between friends, not for cycle world, we werent going to take the bikes to the ragged edge on city streets and kill ourselves, lol

Mike
In that case the comparison is not accurate. If it is city riding then you could have been on a XR50 and got the same results.

That statement could be misread by a rider following a 1000 in a corner with the idea in the back of his mind that he can carry the same corner speed and turf it. Since you pointed out that you comparo was done on city streets then all is good.
laugh.gif

Marc "Howlin Mad"

Back