Busa + Snow + Hill + Father..long post

MN72Busa

Formerly known as "Zuki"
Donating Member
Registered
Yes I hate to admit it, but I decided to put the Busa up for the winter - In the garage, so I thought. Well today I decided if I’m going to be doing all the Mods I’ve been ordering up lately, I sure the heck don’t want to do them in a cold Garage....Yah, Nice time to think about that Now!

Ok, well here’s the ordeal, I have to move my beloved busa from the garage to my basement. One of the problems is to get the Busa from the garage to the basement, I have to drive through my front yard, down a 200 foot hill which leads to my backyard( Steep grade, steep enough that a riding lawnmower can not be turned or driven sideways on the hill, or it will roll---trust me---lesson learned more than once). And another 100 feet to the patio door. Problem No#2 being is I have about 6 inches of snow on the ground. No#3 Issue is its frickin real cold outside, and obviously I wouldn’t think to dress accordingly for the weather.

Ok, well call my father on the cell, saying I need help with a project. AS he pulls in the driveway, he see's the Busa warming up & starts to shake his head before exiting his truck. "Umm, what you plan on doing here" he asks. Well, I need to move the Busa around back & get her in the basement so I can do some mods to her over the winter. "Oh yah...well how you plan on doing that"? Umm, not real sure, Guess I’m goanna just rider her through the front yard & hope for the best going down the hill. "Oh - yah...Hrmm, you think that’s a good idea"? Umm, don’t really have a choice. "So, what you want me to do"? Well, not real sure...have a hat or gloves or anything? "Nope, don’t need em, wont break em out until January"...ok dad, well just keep an eye on me & if things start to go bad, how about you sorta do something.

Well, I manage to get a 20 foot run from the garage to the small snow bank which is blocking the path to the front yard. I hit the 1 foot snow bank, got her into the front yard, and it was going good for about 10 feet. just didn’t seem right I was traveling at about 10 mph through a snow front yard, so I thought I better slow down...OK Big Mistake No#1 - Brakes + Snow + Motorcycle = major slide action. I managed to keep her upright, and could hear my father yell "That’s not good"....Well no duh. Ok, time to take a breather, a little anxious on my part & starting to realize maybe this wasn’t such a good Idea. Dad said, ok I will stand next to you, and catch the bike if I fall... (Thinking to myself, oh boy...he’s already planning for the worse).

Ok, I put her in gear and guess what, I send up a snow rooster tail about 10' high, do a 180 & end up going through some 15 inch shrubs, & took out a solar light....but figured, that can be fixed in the spring...have to keep momentum. Well, I got stuck twice before I managed to get to the top of the hill I had to somehow get down.

Both I & my father stood at the top of that hill & didn’t say a thing. Must have been a full minute of looking at our route....well neither of us could find any route / option that wouldn't suggest that we weren’t completely crazy for even thinking about this. Dad than said "well, where do you want me"? I said, I’m not real sure....ok he says how about I stay behind the bike and catch it if you fall. I said how you goanna do that from behind the bike, I think it would be better if you stood in front of the bike. "Ok, sounds good to me" he said, but honestly the look on his face said "ya got to be kidding me"

By this time the neighbor kids were watching, along with 4 guys 3 houses down who were completing a roofing job from the tornados that wrecked our neighborhood a few months ago. Pride was on the line here, both my father & I knew it...we couldn’t botch this, we had to make it look like we knew what we were doing, as this is normal activity for us.

Well, back to the hill...Dad in front of the bike, me sitting on the Busa, clutch in, 1st gear engaged, and brake applied. Slowly, slowly, first 2 feet was going good...thinking to myself Busa seems heavier than I remembered her to be. Rolling at a steady rate now, dad not really doing a great job of holding on, bike sorta pushing him more than he is comfortable with...Decide to put brake on....Oh......not A Great Idea...Momentum still carrying us both downhill, but not rolling, sliding...Dad looking terrified, I’m not sure what I look like (I’m sure like a lunatic), but must keep control...ok, there goes dad, must have lost grip, as he is now sliding on his side down the hill next to the Busa...he yelled something but I was in the Zone, and had no clue what he said.

Busa is starting to slide sideways, must let off break I told myself....front wheel grabs, and slides back to center...cant feel hands anymore, completely frozen, Busa still rolling...look at Speedo and I’m not real sure but I think I’m at about 10 to 15 mph....Dad has recovered from belly slide & starting to run after me and the bike....At least he yelling "Hold on to it...I’m coming"...Nice to hear he's coming, but about as reassuring as, well not reassuring at all.

Somehow, I made it down the hill, but than managed to get stuck about 3 more times in the backyard. Good thing the dog continually barked during this whole ordeal, not like there wasn’t enough racket & stress going on.

Anyhow, we got the Busa inside, half frozen to death, but we got her done. Lots of swearing at the end, and Neighbors got a show, but surely they thought this was gonna end in complete disaster. Just wanted to share the start of my winter project with you all. Dad wants to help with the Turbo if I get it ordered up, so Im sure there will be some messed up stories to be told. So, everyone else have a good day?

Peace

Nice...
smile.gif

I guess i have to call 3-4 friends to move bus to the living room, thanks for sharing..
smile.gif

smile.gif

just think how slick that plastic is on its side, dad belly slidind then running after you. oh i bet it was classic. glad its done and all is good

Damn, I'm glad I live in So. Cal. We don't have time to work on our bikes, really.

--Wag--

Man that's the funniest shat I've read in awhile...I can see it so vividly...
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

No Pics...unless the dog, or neighbors took some. This is one of those experiences that I will never forget, I can laugh about it now, but in all honesty it was a pretty darn stressfull event.
wink.gif

I posted another thread about the 2007 Busa & asked if your gonna keep your current Busa or Upgrade. When I think about events like the DownHill SnowBusa story I shared with everyone, I think to myself - its moments like these that make a bond with your Busa. How could I ever part with a Bike that has made me laugh, and cry so much... Dont think I could ever part with her, might end up getting a newer model someday, but I think my current Busa (Gretchen) is a keeper for life. Glad I could share my experience with you all...Heck if you can share your stupid moments with family, than things just get too serious
wink.gif

wink.gif

Thanks for sharing the story Valium. Sounds like one of the those times that while looking back is worth a good chuckle, but at the time its over stress. I am glad I live on a level piece of land and oh... in the middle of the desert...
smile.gif

Man that's the funniest shat I've read in awhile...I can see it so vividly...
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
+1 Very entertaining write-up. Brought back memories of when I tried a similar thing a few years ago to get the bike from the shed to the trailor through a foot of snow so I could trailer it to Bikeweek. What is it about motorcycle that makes us lose all rational thought and common sense?

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

Hindsight being 20/20 ... next time leave it in first gear and BACK down the hill. Start going to fast simply ease out on the clutch and slow yourself down ... ROFL THAT would require somebody video taping the event!! Glad all ended uopright and in good order
wink.gif

Back