Busa, second bike?

clearwaterms

Registered
okay, I have lurked around, and this is THE most asked question on this board... and I know why, given the abundant respect the busa deserves, it needs to be asked... So I ask you, is the busa right for me...  Bio of information...

Male
unmarried

current bike - suzuki sv650, ~10500 miles 2 seasons, started third season...

my defense of WHY i want a busa...  last year a buddy let me hop on his for a short ride, i got off, truthfully SCARED, it was a fast bike, and while I had no trouble handling the bike, I was afraid what I might try if given the chance to ride one.  However, yesterday I got on the same bike again, and I wasn't scared, the power didn't come as a suprise to me, I felt in control. I wasn't afraid of it. I have never been afraid of the bike, but simply what I might try to do ON the bike. That being said, it is a comfortable bike, it's weight didn't bother me, i didn't at any time feel out of control, The clutch was different then my SV, but never did I feel that I wasn't in COMPETE control.  
I was at one time an avid drag racer, an ex-mustang enthusiast, I had a few 12 second street cars that I enjoyed blasting down the track...  However, when I discovered motorcycling, I got out of the car thing (bikes are far cheaper)  I realized this summer that I miss it, I miss quarter mile racing.  Also, #2 I really enjoy taking longer rides (400+ miles a day) and truthfully anything over 280 on a naked SV with drag bars is about as a 300 pound guy at the dentist who was only given enough nitrous for a 120 pound woman.  My buddies busa seems much more comfortable, especially with a double bubble and a gel seat...

Here is why I think I shouldn't own a busa...  I have never been in a motorcycle accident, I have never ridden beyond my limits and am not a strong enough rider to push my SV to it's limits.  That being said, I am a 26 year old, single man...  the busa is well a BUSA...  an awesome machine capable of extreme things...

So the question is simply, Yes and why, or NO...

However, yesterday I got on the same bike again, and I wasn't scared, the power didn't come as a suprise to me, I felt in control.  I wasn't afraid of it.  I have never been afraid of the bike, but simply what I might try to do ON the bike.  That being said, it is a comfortable bike, it's weight didn't bother me, i didn't at any time feel out of control, The clutch was different then my SV, but never did I feel that I wasn't in COMPETE control.  
You have answered your own question right here.

You are ready for the busa, my son.

Now come over to the dark side.

vader1.gif

Here's my .02:
First, call your insurance company to see if they will even cover the Busa, then see how much. Based on your experience and insurance company, the Busa may simply be cost prohibitive. If you have respect for the any bike and stay within BOTH the bike's and your own limitations, you should be good. But - and this is a big but - the second you lose respect, she'll bite you. Remember that. You said in your post that a reason for not getting the Busa is that you are not a strong enough rider to push your SV to the limit... constantly evaluate how strong you are as a rider... it can change from day to day with how you feel physically and emotionally. Whatever you decide, good luck!

Most sane people won't use all of the power on the busa. The busa can be very timid or the wildest beast out there. As long as you keep your head straight you'll be fine. Just remember, it'll only go as fast as you make it.

You don't sound super excited about the Busa. Are you sure its the bike you want? You mainly mentioned comfort and there are lots more comfortable bikes than the busa. But if the busa is what you really want,

Then yes get one. Even as powerful as the bike is it only gives you what you ask for. You can ride like a granny if you want to.

So ask yourself what you really want, the ask yourself if you have control enough to not get caught up in a crowd and exceed your limits.

Here's my $.02---I just got a '06 'busa in January. I came off of a Yamaha FZ1. I loved the FZ1--fast naked bike, but I just wanted more. I don't have many miles on the 'busa, but so far I love everything about it. Does everything of the FZ1 times 10. The 'busa will let you drive at your limit--timid or wild. That's the decision you make--NOT THE BIKE! Your are 26 years old and should by now have some common sense. I say this because my son just turned 25 and is finally making good decisions. In the end--buy the 'busa and you'll NEVER be sorry.

Here's my .02:
First, call your insurance company to see if they will even cover the Busa, then see how much.  Based on your experience and insurance company, the Busa may simply be cost prohibitive.  If you have respect for the any bike and stay within BOTH the bike's and your own limitations, you should be good.  But - and this is a big but - the second you lose respect, she'll bite you.  Remember that.  You said in your post that a reason for not getting the Busa is that you are not a strong enough rider to push your SV to the limit... constantly evaluate how strong you are as a rider... it can change from day to day with how you feel physically and emotionally.  Whatever you decide, good luck!
as for insurance. I am not worried about that. Being 26 and a home owner, motorcycle insurance is actually CHEAP... (my SV is only like $240 a year) even if the busa is triple, insurance wouldn't be a factor... the financials of owning a busa, I understand... It's the ability to handle the bike's prowess...

You don't sound super excited about the Busa.  Are you sure its the bike you want?  You mainly mentioned comfort and there are lots more comfortable bikes than the busa.  But if the busa is what you really want,

Then yes get one.  Even as powerful as the bike is it only gives you what you ask for.  You can ride like a granny if you want to.

So ask yourself what you really want, the ask yourself if you have control enough to not get caught up in a crowd and exceed your limits.
Charles,

currently there are three or four motorcycles that I am considering...

The busa (first choice, why in a minute)
The VFR800 / Sprint 1050
the FZ1

The busa is my first choice, although the honda interceptor is a fine motorcycle, to me, it just appears like you get more bike with the busa for not alot more money. The sprint 1050 is also a fine machine, but I have heard it gets less then steller reviews and in truth neither of these motorcycles will fill my want to try drag racing.

next is the fz1, while this bike gives me the comfort and power that I want, it lacks with wind protection that the busa has. and in truth the difference in cost between this bike and the busa, makes me want the busa all that much more... The older FZ1 is carbed and doesn't offer great range gas mileage wise, while the busa is fuel injected and even though I don't think you get great range from a busa (don't know) it's just more bike, for not alot more money.

If you train your right hand to move a little slower, you will have no problems with the 'Busa. As has been said earlier, if you treat her with respect she will treat you treat you well, but if you take her for granted, she will bite you hard.

Go for it.
smile.gif

Buy the Busa and turn the SV into a track bike. because once you have the Busa in the garage you'll never want to ride the SV.

http://svrider.com/articles/sep05/SV_learned.htm - i posted on another forum, less busa oriented and asked the same question that I asked here, but also provided some of the other bikes I was considering (although, truthfully I am leaning more and more towards a busa) and one of the people posted this article in response it's a cool read, about a guy who went from a sv650 to a busa... I would love to ask this guy sometime what he thought about the actual changing of the guard

Here's my .02:
First, call your insurance company to see if they will even cover the Busa, then see how much.  Based on your experience and insurance company, the Busa may simply be cost prohibitive.  If you have respect for the any bike and stay within BOTH the bike's and your own limitations, you should be good.  But - and this is a big but - the second you lose respect, she'll bite you.  Remember that.  You said in your post that a reason for not getting the Busa is that you are not a strong enough rider to push your SV to the limit... constantly evaluate how strong you are as a rider... it can change from day to day with how you feel physically and emotionally.  Whatever you decide, good luck!
as for insurance.  I am not worried about that.  Being 26 and a home owner, motorcycle insurance is actually CHEAP... (my SV is only like $240 a year)  even if the busa is triple, insurance wouldn't be a factor...  the financials of owning a busa, I understand...  It's the ability to handle the bike's prowess...
Dont assume anything. You better make that call to the insurace company. Others hear have made that mistake. You may get the shock of your life. They may insure the SV, but some companies wont even touch the busa.

Here's my .02:
as for insurance.  I am not worried about that.  Being 26 and a home owner, motorcycle insurance is actually CHEAP... (my SV is only like $240 a year)  even if the busa is triple, insurance wouldn't be a factor...  the financials of owning a busa, I understand...  It's the ability to handle the bike's prowess...
Dont assume anything. You better make that call to the insurace company. Others hear have made that mistake. You may get the shock of your life. They may insure the SV, but some companies wont even touch the busa.
your right, first i would call my insurance company and confirm that they will insure my bike, and secondly confirm that they will do it for a resonable price... If it isn't I have the insurance that my home is currently through (allstate) and (statefarm) at my disposal for insurance claims. Currently I have Country Companies and they are VERY bike friendly

Sounds like the Busa fills your wants to a T. You sound mature enough. Time to pull the trigger
smile.gif

Back