Hey everybody... buying a busa as second bike

chuckles_no

Registered
I rode dirt bike a lot as a kid and have had everything from a yz80 to a cz500 before I was 15, then didn't ride again til Last year with my first street bike. It is a Yamaha xj550 so nothing too high end but quick and torqey for a small bike. I have ridden other bikes since, a Harley ("Hardley") sportster 1200, Yamaha r1, yamaha xs750, xj650 turbo, and nighthawk 650.

I went to All Pro motorsports in waukesha to look at an FZ1... (its a naked R1) and liked it a little... Then saw the Busa. I sound like a total weiner when I say it, but I had never seen one up close, let alone sit on it and start it, etc... That was it... I put $2,000 on a layaway plan and will pick it up in april, maybe May. But either way, the deal is done and I am getting a Busa... no backing out now.

It is a 2008 with 1011 miles total.

So I have a year and about 8,000 miles of street bike experience, total. I have been through a lot and learned a lot about my limits in those miles. I also hit a deer at 60mph and busted my knee and foot but didn't drop the bike.

So its too late for advice on whether or not I should get the busa. My questions are just more what to expect? The r1 was too jumpy for me. It wanted to go like a bat outta hell the instant I let the clutch into the friction zone. It didn't feel like there was any control over speed on it.

Is this something I will just have to get used to with the Busa or is it smoother? Anyway... thats me, here for the long haul.... (well, hoping its a long one) and look forward to what comes next.

:welcome::welcome:

Having ridden both? the R1 does not have the pull after about 100mph.. up to that point? they are pretty close (this was all on a road course).. The R1 feels like a feather compared to the Busa so that may be why it felt rather "jumpy"

You have pretty good bike experience so at least you only have to learn the bike and not how to ride.. Have no idea how you are going to sleep for the next few months however... :laugh:

Well I appreciate it. Definitely will get used to it. I learned a lot in a Basic rider coarse and one was learning the friction zone. Its been very handy with anything I have ridden.

Also... about pics... I am going in again on January 2nd to make another $2,000 payment and WILL HAVE PICS. I promise. It still won't mean much as it stays at the dealer til its payed off. But the layaway plan is keeping it stored for free over the winter. Haha... in a heated warehouse at that. When I get it I have to ride it home... its winter and freezing and I am not an eskimo.

It only has 1011 miles on it and is an '08 which dropped the price to $9,499. Much better than the msrp of over $13,000 and retail of around $10,500.

I have also considered training and membership to a track. There used to be a track here in Kenosha wisconsin that also offered training for performance riding.

Anyway... it is oranga and black and completely stock. For now here is a pic of me a couple weeks after me and the deer slayer 550 there took on a moose of a buck... ok... it was a 2 year old. But kilt it nun th'less :) The dent is from my knee.

l_e823b39432a94d74a9ba928df9edcc72.jpg

Last edited:
:welcome: that deer got you good, but you got him better. As for the Busa, smoother power, but more of it. Slow and steady to learn the bike and your good to go. But beware, like Bogus said, it pulls hard even at high speeds, so dont let it sneak up on ya:thumbsup:

:welcome: that deer got you good, but you got him better. As for the busa, smoother power, but more of it. Slow and steady to learn the bike and your good to go. But beware, like bogus said, it pulls hard even at high speeds, so dont let it sneak up on ya:thumbsup:

+100

My questions are just more what to expect? The r1 was too jumpy for me. It wanted to go like a bat outta hell the instant I let the clutch into the friction zone. It didn't feel like there was any control over speed on it.

Is this something I will just have to get used to with the Busa or is it smoother? Anyway... thats me, here for the long haul.... (well, hoping its a long one) and look forward to what comes next.

Yeah it's real gentle, nothing like the R1, and then there's that 180 thingy :rofl:

:welcome: to the oRg brother and as one of my learned brothers use to say " grip it and rip it ".

r1!! nice bike... never ridden 1, thought of buying 1, but then the busa took over :)

Id like to do a track day on the r1!!!

might look into it :)

2 things to tell you here, the bike has an A, B, and C mode that you can select which will adjust how much of the bikes power is available to you. Start off in C mode and as you get accustomed to the weight, balance, and power, move it on up. I am hoping you got that bike out the door at $9500 because they are selling for that price new. Not trying to burst your bubble, just trying to educate you. You may try to get them to knock it down another 500 bucks or so.

Back