Buell XB12

Can't be too bad a bike since Mr. Schnitz now races on one. He gave up the Kawi for a Buell... Go figure!
rock.gif
biggrin.gif

Ok, I managed a HD store for 3 yrs. I started in the Pre-XB era. The old school buells ie; Cyclone, Lightning, had massaged 1200 sportster motors. Fun bikes (although heavy) I thought the Cyclone was kind of boring, it was the carberated version and down on poop. The Lightning, with an aftermarket can and pwr commander was like being in a 69 camaro with a big block....a kick in the pants to ride around town, wheelie like crazy in 1st. Immmediate torque off idle. But these machines were prone to lots of problems. Mainly cause they shook themselves to death. Because of that they got a real love-hate reputation. Resale on Buells has always been, and continues to be poor. The typical HD dlr doesnt cater to the sportbike crowd, and many just don't want to.

The XB series changed the whole deal...This new bike is cool. Yea, it's no busa , but it makes good power where you need it.
The handling is razor sharp. Put a Buell race can on it and it sounds freakin' awesome. I spent a year on a XB9R and loved it.
There are basically 2 models each available with 2 motors. The S models are more sit up straight models, I don't particulary care for the seating position on them, but they are a great stunter bike. The R models are the sport seating position, clip-ons, higher pegs (although you can put the S pegs on it and get more room)
The motor is all new, not a sporty motor. It does have some vibration, but no where near what the old style had. They have been miles ahead of the old bikes in terms of reliability. Just a good solid bike.
I have talked to Eric on several occasions and he is one passionate guy, really cool. Last time we chatted, he was putting together a hot XB9R for Jay Leno. They have a track version of the 9 that makes 130+ hp. At 400 lbs, that'd make for a royal kick to ride.
You should be able to work a pretty sweet deal on a new one. Find a low mile used and save much more...

All in all it is a great bike. A little too small for my frame, but your average 180lb/5'10" dude that loves the twisties, it is an excellent choice.

Back