MSF Advanced Rider Course (ARC) review

fastblackblur

Registered
Due to an alarming number of United States service members being killed or significantly injured on sportbikes the United States Air Force has mandated that all motorcycle riders who ride any motorcycle that is classified as a "Sportbike" take the Motorcyle Safety Foundation's Advanced Riders Course...

So that people understand the point of view this review is comming from I will go into a little of my personal history. I have attended a dozen or so track days, been to a few rider schools and was even a lucky enough to do a couple novice races. I feel I have a pretty firm grip on performance motorcycle riding but there is still much for me to learn.

So as to follow through with Air Force policy, I found myself in attendance of a locally put on MSF ARC course. It was an interesting experience that I felt obligated to share with the rest of the hayabusa.org community.

Firstly when I arrive at the class I notice that the only other sportbike there is a Buell XB12. I had decided to take the my GSXR The rest of the bikes were composed of a Goldwing, 2 V-rods and various other models of Harley Davidson. Apparently I should have taken more consideration for the classes labeled "sportbike" as I think this would have made a positive impact on my experience. I rarely meet an individual who rides a non-sportbike who enjoys the same aspects of motorcycling as I do.

The classroom portion of the class was a filled with allot of good information. The instructors were great guys who facilitated group discussion rather than lecture out pre composed material. Topics covered were things like line selection through a corner, body position and even talked a little bit about trail braking. It was interesting to see that virtually the entire class had no idea what trail braking was. The only information they presented that I took exception to was application of the rear brake. Although I learned absolutely nothing new about riding a motorcycle, I could tell that most of the other riders were picking up some useful information.

The rider drill portion of the class was kind of fun... I guess. Most drills typically involved 3 bikes on the course at any given time and I found myself unable to do the drills completely most of the times because I was constantly being slowed up by the other students. No big deal. A few of the Harley guys were really having a good time out there practicing their braking, swerving and leaning. It was kind of neat to see them experience these kind of things. I did suggest they find away to add just a little big of speed to some of the drills as I think this would greatly enhance the course, pretty weird to practice trail braking with a 25-30mph starting speed.

Perhaps the most interesting part of the day for me was the insights I was gaining on the other riders, particularly on the topic of what causes a motorcyclist to crash in a corner for no apparent reason. To me the answer is clear. With very few exceptions if you crash in corner it is 100% the fault of the rider. I heard excuses like it's the suspension, it's the tire, it's gravel... I guess I was amazed by the general attitude of the class that seemed to not want to take responsibility for the majority of events that happen on a motorcycle. I can't help but start to think that maybe most riders think like this.

In conclusion... It has been so long since I've interacted with normal everyday riders and I think I forgot how much I've really picked up from doing trackdays/rider schools. I think this course is perfect for the guy who has a grasp on the basic controls of a motorcycle but still needs a little help. However if your comfortable leaning way over on a corner and running a pace that will can get you carted off to jail I think you'll get much much more growth as a rider out of attending a track day.

I wonder why they stereo-type sport bikes.I see lots of harley riders,even military harley riders here by Fort Lewis do stupid stuff all the time on the freeway.I think it should classified for all riders.I think its a good idea to take the class anyway.I did and I have been riding for 20 years or more.

Track day, Track day, Track day....he said track day. Sorry, I'm kind of jacked up over here waiting on the September Barber dates.

Sounds like you learned and shared some wisdom for the road, win for you and thanks for sharing!

Due to an alarming number of United States service members being killed or significantly injured on sportbikes the United States Air Force has mandated that all motorcycle riders who ride any motorcycle that is classified as a "Sportbike" take the Motorcyle Safety Foundation's Advanced Riders Course...

So that people understand the point of view this review is comming from I will go into a little of my personal history. I have attended a dozen or so track days, been to a few rider schools and was even a lucky enough to do a couple novice races. I feel I have a pretty firm grip on performance motorcycle riding but there is still much for me to learn.

So as to follow through with Air Force policy, I found myself in attendance of a locally put on MSF ARC course. It was an interesting experience that I felt obligated to share with the rest of the hayabusa.org community.

Firstly when I arrive at the class I notice that the only other sportbike there is a Buell XB12. I had decided to take the my GSXR The rest of the bikes were composed of a Goldwing, 2 V-rods and various other models of Harley Davidson. Apparently I should have taken more consideration for the classes labeled "sportbike" as I think this would have made a positive impact on my experience. I rarely meet an individual who rides a non-sportbike who enjoys the same aspects of motorcycling as I do.

The classroom portion of the class was a filled with allot of good information. The instructors were great guys who facilitated group discussion rather than lecture out pre composed material. Topics covered were things like line selection through a corner, body position and even talked a little bit about trail braking. It was interesting to see that virtually the entire class had no idea what trail braking was. The only information they presented that I took exception to was application of the rear brake. Although I learned absolutely nothing new about riding a motorcycle, I could tell that most of the other riders were picking up some useful information.

The rider drill portion of the class was kind of fun... I guess. Most drills typically involved 3 bikes on the course at any given time and I found myself unable to do the drills completely most of the times because I was constantly being slowed up by the other students. No big deal. A few of the Harley guys were really having a good time out there practicing their braking, swerving and leaning. It was kind of neat to see them experience these kind of things. I did suggest they find away to add just a little big of speed to some of the drills as I think this would greatly enhance the course, pretty weird to practice trail braking with a 25-30mph starting speed.

Perhaps the most interesting part of the day for me was the insights I was gaining on the other riders, particularly on the topic of what causes a motorcyclist to crash in a corner for no apparent reason. To me the answer is clear. With very few exceptions if you crash in corner it is 100% the fault of the rider. I heard excuses like it's the suspension, it's the tire, it's gravel... I guess I was amazed by the general attitude of the class that seemed to not want to take responsibility for the majority of events that happen on a motorcycle. I can't help but start to think that maybe most riders think like this.

In conclusion... It has been so long since I've interacted with normal everyday riders and I think I forgot how much I've really picked up from doing trackdays/rider schools. I think this course is perfect for the guy who has a grasp on the basic controls of a motorcycle but still needs a little help. However if your comfortable leaning way over on a corner and running a pace that will can get you carted off to jail I think you'll get much much more growth as a rider out of attending a track day.

Good write up :thumbsup:

And yeah, that's pretty much how those classes go, particularly if you are more advanced than the rest of the class.

Ummm just curious as to where you received the info that the class is made mandatory for all sport bike riders in the AF? I have been on leave for a little over a week now but before i left it was "encouraged and suggested" not mandatory. Is it in an AFI? Also is it reoccurring or a one time deal? Nice write up though.

I toke the advanced course also thinking I would learn something. But nope I didn't the military over reacts with everything that is safety related. But I am going to sign up for some track days when I get a GSXR. Accidents are going to happen with young military personnel, why? I think back how I used to ride when I was 21, yeah there isn't any amount of instruction or warnings that could have made me slow down. Young riders at times ride recklessly, this new requirement by the military isn't going to bring down the number of accidents.

Ummm just curious as to where you received the info that the class is made mandatory for all sport bike riders in the AF? I have been on leave for a little over a week now but before i left it was "encouraged and suggested" not mandatory. Is it in an AFI? Also is it reoccurring or a one time deal? Nice write up though.

I'll have to check the documentation, I'm probably wrong... I know it came down in a memo and not an AFI and that it is mandatory for all active duty sportbike riders at Malmstrom AFB. I've been at Malmstrom so long I guess it just feels like the entire Air Force

Here at Malmstrom I'm pretty sure you can take the class as many times as you want but as it sits now it's only required initially. You only have to pay for it if you fail to show for the class.

I toke the advanced course also thinking I would learn something. But nope I didn't the military over reacts with everything that is safety related. But I am going to sign up for some track days when I get a GSXR. Accidents are going to happen with young military personnel, why? I think back how I used to ride when I was 21, yeah there isn't any amount of instruction or warnings that could have made me slow down. Young riders at times ride recklessly, this new requirement by the military isn't going to bring down the number of accidents.

Get on the track as soon as you can, it's a real eye-opener.

I can't imagine the things I would have done if I would have discovered sportbikes when I was in my early 20's. Montana had no speed limit back then... I'd probably be laying somewhere chill'n in a pine box.

I'll have to check the documentation, I'm probably wrong... I know it came down in a memo and not an AFI and that it is mandatory for all active duty sportbike riders at Malmstrom AFB. I've been at Malmstrom so long I guess it just feels like the entire Air Force

Here at Malmstrom I'm pretty sure you can take the class as many times as you want but as it sits now it's only required initially. You only have to pay for it if you fail to show for the class.

Ahhhh I see. Yeah when I was at USAFE it was an every 3 year requirement, per the USAFE CC.... which is what I believe it will turn into AF wide within the next few years. I know what you mean about being stuck at one place to long though.

Im a Squadron Motorcycle Coordinator over here at Lakenheath and they are telling us that the new AFI which according to some is gonna change a lot of how things work as far as motorcycles is concerned should be finalized and out this fall like Oct maybe. well see what the final product is.

The Army requires that all sportbike riders take the MSRC (Military Sportbike Rider Course)if the rider intends on riding the bike on any Army installation which the card is good for 3years i believe. Currently for the Army there is no expiration date for the basic MSF card unlike the Navy. I know each branch and installation has its own requirements but at a minimum for a motorcycle rider in the Army you have to take the BMRC and sportbike riders are required to take both courses. Nothing stops the soldier from taking the AMRC rather you're a sportbike guy or cruiser. I'm not taking the MSRC due to the fact I don't ride my bike on post anymore because the PASS/DECAL nazis want me to decal my bike and i refuse to do so. I know of a few miltary installations that after each deployment the command makes riders take a refresher course or the BMRC before being allowed to ride on the home installations.

I think it's still a post command decision, but you can bet that won't last much longer and it will be a DoD standardized requirement across all services.

The Army Reserve tried to pull this stunt off several years ago (probably will try again). Tried to tell anyone owning a motorcycle that we had to take the MSF (on OUR time/dime) in order to ride ANYTIME. Considering that I don't ride on duty, and off duty I am not covered by any military insurance or LoD, I knew they couldn't make it stick. Then they tried to get past it by getting the CG to make it a direct order (but that would have been an illegal order and wouldn't stick). Only time there is legal jurisdiction is when we are on duty (being paid).

However, the truth is, there is a perception, based on facts, that a lot of young soldiers are coming home with a fistfull of pocket money, buying sportbikes and killing themselves in record numbers - trying to recreate the 'thrill' of combat operations. I think the Army is trying to do the right thing by protecting these soldiers from themselves, but as in all large bureaucracies, sometimes the execution gets overblown from the commander's intent by the bureaucrats...

Back when I was at Elmendorf it was a required course if you wanted to bring your bike on the installation. I did not have any issues taking the course as I figured there was nothing to lose by attending. Turned out that I learned a few things and overall I found the course to be beneficial. The added bonus was that the course was free and the DMV and insurance companies accepted the course as well. I say that because I have read a few times lately that some insurance companies do not give any type of recognition for military lead MSF courses.

In any case, thanks for sharing. :)

My wife took the MSF (cost $100) and got a discount from GEICO...but it only lasted 2 years and then they expected her to retake it (our cost $100) to keep the $80 credit. Told them to shove it and went to State Farm.

Way to be behind Air Force :laugh:.

Marines get exclusive camps with the California Superbike School free to add to the MSF Basic, Advanced, and Sport bike rider courses :thumbsup:

Back