Budget Turbo Kit

MiwaRob

Registered
So I was over at straightliners at looking over the turbo kits. It appears that a person could piece together an affordable turbokit for a lot less than $4,000.

Turbo manifold- $600
Plenum - $500
PIII - $300
G16 Turbo - $300
Various fittings and piping $300

Total $2,000

what about fuel system? I guess you're going with a very light boost setting since there's no spacer/water inj./intercooler/ext wastegate/bov or anything else

you will need a much bigger fuel pump and an fmu
the fuel rail will need 2 more t inserts or you can get a billet rail

you will also need a wastegate

leme know if you need any help

My personal opinion would be to purchase a hi quality "proven" set-up from RCC turbos or Velocity.Not only will you receive tech assistance,but they make quality kits with proven results & even a warranty on some of the parts.
Alot of our customers try to "piece together" turbo kits trying to save money and the bike usually ends up at our shop to upgrade their kit with quality parts that work good together.These guys usually end up spending more money in the long run and have a pile of parts left over they arent going to use.If you need advise ,feel free to email or call our shop anytime.

My personal opinion would be to purchase a hi quality "proven" set-up from RCC turbos or Velocity.Not only will you receive tech assistance,but they make quality kits with  proven results & even a warranty on some of the parts.
Alot of our customers try to "piece together" turbo kits trying to save money and the bike usually ends up at our shop to upgrade their kit with quality parts that work good together.These guys usually end up spending more money in the long run and have a pile of parts left over they arent going to use.If you need advise ,feel free to email or call our shop anytime.
I couldn't agree more. These guys have already done all the work to build a top notch turbo kit.

Cheap isn't a good term to focus on when adding a turbo system.

My personal opinion would be to purchase a hi quality "proven" set-up from RCC turbos or Velocity.Not only will you receive tech assistance,but they make quality kits with  proven results & even a warranty on some of the parts.
I couldn't agree more. These guys have already done all the work to build a top notch turbo kit.

Cheap isn't a good term to focus on when adding a turbo system.
AMEN brother!

Designing turbo kits (gas) is not for the weak at heart or those without access to a good dyno AND OPERATOR....

Diesels on the other hand are almost idiot proof... no way to lean out a motor and blow it up.. just egt to monitor and start cranking up the injector pumps
smile.gif

The kits we designed and built were never intended to go over about 8lbs boost... product liability is a real issue when selling retail for the street... (not that we never sold the parts to run them up to 15lbs
smile.gif
)

My daily driver made 32lbs boost with massive intercooler and a sprinkler head in front of the thing (Fort Tbird with a 2.3L)

smile.gif

I did say budget, which would not be designed to make over 6 psi. There is no reason why an internal wastegate G16, with a P3 and S2000 injectors should not work. At this level of performance there is no need for a $1,600 ball bearing turbo, external wastegate, dancing bears etc. Would this perform as well as a $4,000 kit, no, but it would work. Now with that being said, I think I'll stick with NO2 and my robust lil stock motor for the time being.

As far as Diesels go, you can burn them up just as fast by squirting too much fuel in there.

If your only doing 6psi boost you don't need S2000s besides there a pain in the ass to get good driveability but you do need a good fuel pump and a 6 to 1 fmu no way you'l get enough fuel to the motor without them

My personal opinion would be to purchase a hi quality "proven" set-up from RCC turbos or Velocity.Not only will you receive tech assistance,but they make quality kits with proven results & even a warranty on some of the parts.
Steve is right, I can speak to that being true. I took the cheap route, it was not a good way to go. Ended up costing me way more in the long run, plus so much hassle! I ended up getting rid of the cheaper components I had, & upgraded & had Smithers work everything out that was not right! It was a mess! I hear great things about RCC! Good Luck!

a low boost setup is not that hard to do... most of what you pay for on a lower end system is the work building the manifolds.. They are easily the hardest part of a build... You are paying for talent more than time or parts... good pipe builders are like good painters... they just have a talent for it..

Yea you can burn up a diesel (note I said add an EGT to monitor) but for stock ford/gm trucks, you can not hurt a motor on the factory fuel load, (they issued us a warranty statement that our systems did not void the factory warranty as long as the pump was not opened up)

I say build it if you want. It is a good experience and there is great satisfaction when it is done and it works.

Walbro fuel pump-- 150.00
Begi fmu- 210.00
Ebay knock off tial wastegate-- 70.00
Ebay T3/T4 turbo-- 150.00
Buy a good header, rcc, velocity, etc.-- 400.00- 500.00
Buy or build your own manifold- spare metal laying around- 50.00 or buy one-- rcc etc.. 350.00- 450.00
Dump pipe, up tube, make your self-- 50.00 plus 25.00 flange.
pc3 - 250.00- 300.00
assorted fittings and hoses are the real shocker 100.00 to 300.00 seriously.
Dyno time for mapping- 250.00 or so

Total between 2000.00 and 2500.00

This is as good a guess as I can give you. I have done it for cheaper before but I made everything and had around 1300.00 in a complete kit.

Good luck. It is alot of fun.

I say build it if you want. It is a good experience and there is great satisfaction when it is done and it works.

Begi fmu- 210.00
Buy or build your own manifold- spare metal laying around- 50.00 or buy one-- rcc etc.. 350.00- 450.00
pc3 - 250.00- 300.00

This is as good a guess as I can give you. I have done it for cheaper before but I made everything and had around 1300.00 in a complete kit.

+1
Turbo bikes are very representative of you get what you pay for. If you have familiarity with building one you may assemble a bike with individual purchase items. If you don't you may build an expensive grenade.

As Steve said it is great fun assembling and building your own kit.

Begi fmu- 210.00
pc3 - 250.00- 300.00

Wish we could go back in time when turbo was affordable :D

Back