BT002RS track day (pic)

Mr Bogus

Trouble Makers Inc.
Donating Member
Registered
no point of reference for this tire but it was pretty darn sticky.. I started the day at 27.5/30 (R/F) and it took 3 laps before I could get the back end to feel right.. Day warmed up a bit and it went to 2 laps..

Bumped to 29/30 and life settled right down (36/36 hot off track)

Tires provided decent feedback coming off corners on throttle with just the softest of drift. Control rider told me to use the entire track and so I got into the corners a bit faster and harder coming out and was able to drift the bike to the edge of the track (what a blast that was)..

Had 3 orange shirts waiting for me when I got off the track and they were all pretty surprised how well the big heavy bike did on the track.. Had some pretty good coaching having my own control rider for a couple sessions.. Was even more fun to tell them it was my first track day ever..

second photo is exiting turn 10 (around 7K in third gear)

Most trouble I had was at the end of this straight... laying into the binders from 165 to about 100 is a touchy proposition...

DSCN4046.jpg

PPTurn10.jpg

Last edited:
YeeeHaww!! Makes you wanna do it again, doesn't it?

YeeeHaww!! Makes you wanna do it again, doesn't it?
Yea it was most fun after I could start to concentrate on only a few things instead of "everything" Just watching riding position is a lot easier than trying to remember the track and wondering if I forgot what was ahead..

I ran about 17 miles the first session and by the end of my 11th session, I was running 24-26 miles.. As corners and actions committed to memory, I was able to start working more on technique to get the bike around the track quicker instead of just around the track :laugh:

Well RandyMan, how would you rate the track vs street now that you've had a couple days of track time? Would you recommend the track time vs $ spent to others?

Looks like you had a great time......The first track day is always a blast.....my best time I think was my second or third....after I really got comfortable. :thumbsup:

Well RandyMan, how would you rate the track vs street now that you've had a couple days of track time? Would you recommend the track time vs $ spent to others?
I doubt anything I saw will vary very much from any track in the country and my perception is probably a bit skewed but here is what I saw and I am sure some of it will evolve over a few days at the track :whistle:

Two entirely different environments for sure... I have always been pretty conservative on the street being from AZ (lots of gravel, sand and debris on fast twisty roads by nature of the areas) Have seen just way to many guys go down from lost traction.. (well more go down due to target fixation but that is another issue)

Aside from the blasting around Bash (hardest I ride all year) there are some marked differences I noticed right away..

Tire temps and traction.. all but impossible to get tires warmed up on the street.. sure you can get them sort of heated up but unless you are running the canyons or other relatively twisty section.. the stoplights, low and slow traffic and just putt putt of most riding, the tires are only marginally warmed up and subject to only good traction..

Couple that with the constant barrage of garbage on the road to pickup on your tires? forget any kind of serious tire heating.. At Bash or other multi mile runs, yea you get some heat going but that is when the garbage on the road jumps up.. I have always been pretty aware of tire traction but what you get at the track versus the street "can" be worlds apart.. It is most assuring when you feel that back tire start to take a hook through about the 2nd hotlap on the track.. the controlled drift is a blast when you do not have to worry about sudden slippage..

Something else to note is that a great street tire, is usually only marginal on the track.. in fact, during "riders" meeting, guys on street tires were specifically targeted for warnings... (sure felt good about my tire selection at this point) Pirelli seemed to be the exception (corsa3) to the street tire blues..

The BT002RS I ran, got sticky and just held the track very well.. Most impressed.. I did see a LOT of Pirelli Corsa tires.. the Corsa3 was probably the single most used street tire I saw.. The Diablo supers and other "street/track" tires were everywhere...

Now this is going to draw fire but there were not many guys saying "great" things about the Michelin PP's or the PP2ct's.. complaints were mostly "lack of feedback.. tire just tends to "let go" There were however a good number of PR and PP (regulars) on the 600's.. The liter bikes were mostly on track tires with warmers or Corsa 3's

Cars.. what needs said, not to mention everyone going the same direction..

running lines.. was nice to be relatively certain the guy in front of you is going to hold his line.. by the end of about 6 sessions, i was doing a good amount of passing and knowing which way he was going paid great dividends.. watch his line and pass inside that line.. I had to wait for "staightaways" to pass (beginners can not pass in corners) I think I scared a couple of them as I went by.. (ok so that was fun)..

Was also a lot of fun locked on to a line through a corner and a control rider has the confidence to slide in along side you.. I think I felt better about that than almost any other aspect of the weekend. Hearing a bike coming in on the outside of your line and the tire coming into view is nothing short of "wow".. And then the speed they carried to get by was impressive and gave me an idea of just how slow I was...

If you are going to run the "Busa" on the track, you are at a disadvantage over most of the other bikes just due to weight.. Speed management is a bit more difficult because you can not just follow a guy full tilt into a corner.. (well maybe some can, I sure could not)..

I found myself "too hot and wide" a few times but that "commit and turn" thing I have burned into my own head held and I came out just fine... The bike will certainly do more than I can ask of it..

The other "unusual' thing I noticed was the choice of pipes.. there was not 1 "megaphone" or loud pipe to be found anywhere in the pits.. NOT 1... "Quiet" is the rule, not the exception.. maybe the veteran track guys can give some insight to this..

Two Brothers and Arata seemed to be preferred pipes and an amazing number of "stock" pipes.. and these were on some really fast bikes..

These guys could go by you so fast the paint peels off your tank.. and you only heard the "whoosh" of the bike and then the exhaust as they trail off out of sight..

During my first sessions, it took a control rider 5 minutes to discuss a lap that probably took around 90 seconds going over basics.. By the end of Sunday, I was getting some great compliments from the guys about the bike, how it did and that they were surprised I had not done this before.. (yea some sunshine up my skirt to get me back I am sure) but most of it seemed pretty genuine..

I can not wait to go back with a bit more confidence from the start.. I do need some physical conditioning for sure.. my 50 year old fatazz needs to drop 50lbs and gain some endurance :)

Welcome to your next addiction! Great stuff ain't it? :beerchug:
Yes it is great stuff... I felt a bit more "fear" than any other motor racing sport I have been in.. (MX, flat track, Drag bikes, drag boats, drag cars) and I think it has to do with sustained speed and the amount of time required of you to stay focused.. it is physically demanding but also the mental side is pretty tough..

Looks like you had a great time......The first track day is always a blast.....my best time I think was my second or third....after I really got comfortable. :thumbsup:
I am glad to hear that.. I never got really settled until late the first day and the third session of day 2.. Knowing I will get more comfortable is most assuring.. would really like to get some serious coaching before I get myself into trouble or pick up any bad habits..

Track boogers are a sign that you had fun! Pick away!

IMG_0047.jpg
Yea I feel like dismounting that tire and saving it "as is" :rofl: really proud of my "buggers"
Told you it was fun. :laugh:
Fun absolutley and very educational.. I spent a lot of time wandering the pits asking questions from the fast guys.. They were for the most part eager to help the "new guy" on the "busa" Great comraderie trackside..

They guys from NESBA were really good too.. yea some of the control riders were out to have track time and fun but they also did not miss much.. After every session, I (as well as all the other B class guys) had sessions with the control riders that were "on track" to evaluate the run.. I think I got a bit more attention due to the bike.. (last big bike got wadded up pretty bad I guess and they did not want a repeat)..

Number one thing to fix? "Get off the bike more" (hey I am old and tired, will work on physical part)

biggest compliment? I was smooth and ran a great line... (speed to come next) :) (the smooth part comes from riding with guys like Rayabusa, Busa159 and RacerV, they forced it upon me :) )

This shot was from the 2nd session on Sunday.. I had these three control riders behind me for about 4 laps... amazing amount of detail I got from that session..
DSCN4068.JPG

Last edited:
Very cool, sounds like you had a great time.

I had similar responses from my track day on the Busa. I started in the lowest beginners group and ended up out running the instructor of the fastest beginners group by the end of the day....on BT016 tires! Would love to time warp back with my 08 :laugh:

I had similar responses from my track day on the Busa. I started in the lowest beginners group and ended up out running the instructor of the fastest beginners group by the end of the day....on BT016 tires! Would love to time warp back with my 08 :laugh:
is not a chance I am outrunning any of the CR's... they all come off the stands on slicks and tire warmers.. :rofl: even if they were on 250CC bikes, they would wax me.. some mighty talented riders (and almost every one of them in scuffed up leathers).. No wonder Kevin wanted to join their ranks..

Am sure sorry I had to bug out early sunday... feel really bad you drove as far as you did.. if there was any way I could have stayed I would have.. (leaving girls at home next time) :*(

is not a chance I am outrunning any of the CR's... they all come off the stands on slicks and tire warmers.. :rofl: even if they were on 250CC bikes, they would wax me.. some mighty talented riders (and almost every one of them in scuffed up leathers).. No wonder Kevin wanted to join their ranks..

Am sure sorry I had to bug out early sunday... feel really bad you drove as far as you did.. if there was any way I could have stayed I would have.. (leaving girls at home next time) :*(
He would own me on the corners but any glimmer of a straight away and I was blowing by him.

I almost forgot... Shout out to Ted!! (powers739) for all the heads up info on track day and again for use of tire warmers (did not end up using them however) and the spare fuel tank! (the thing is almost virgin!! what a generous offering... how can I return that favor? )

:clap: Way to go, I would love to do a track day.. :thumbsup:
Gingerman is coming up in June I think? NESBA : Northeast Sports Bike Association is outside Kalamzoo MI

Awesome Randy, I would love to do that one of these days. :beerchug:
I think there is talk of Hallet doing a track day for the Busa guys? You should talk to Steve about it..

Last edited:
Back