BT002 or BT016 for track?

Mr Bogus

Trouble Makers Inc.
Donating Member
Registered
Pretty sure the 002 will win this but curious how both did on the track.. I have sets of each laying on the floor.. Spring Bash is the week before Putnam track day and deciding how to do tires.. Figured I could run the 016 for bash and put the 002's on for Putnam..

Opinions?

Oh my rear tire in the 002 is the 190/55/17 not the 50

Last edited:
BT-016 is TOO soft on the edges for the track :rulez:

On ANYTHING but a cold day (weather) after 2 or 3 laps the 016 gets slippery...use the 002 :thumbsup:

I ran the '08 @ Miller last year with 16's...I also had my '03 there with DOT race tires. I would run the first session in the morning with the '08 (16's) when it was cold...but then the other bike during the day. The 3rd day there it was raining and colder than the first two days...it was nice to have a "street" tire for those track conditions :beerchug:

I gave Bridgestone a call and ask their tech that exact question, "Between the BT016 & BT002RS, which tire would you recommend for track use"? The response was a bit surprising. He recommended the 16 over the 002 for track use. His opinion was the 16 has more advanced technology with grip equal to the 002.

The 002 has dual compound in the front tire with single compound at the rear. The 16 also has dual compound front with triple compound at the rear.

I also ask about the new 003RS which will replace the 002RS. Bridgestone expects the 003RS to be available sometime mid summer. It appears the new 003RS will have multiple compounds in the rear. We'll see?

Bridgestone says they have had good success with the BT016 as a trackday tire.

Now, I said all that to say all this, "When choosing between the BT016 and the BT002RS for track day use, the BT016 may be the best choice"! :beerchug:

I gave Bridgestone a call and ask their tech that exact question, "Between the BT016 & BT002RS, which tire would you recommend for track use"? The response was a bit surprising. He recommended the 16 over the 002 for track use. His opinion was the 16 has more advanced technology with grip equal to the 002.

The 002 has dual compound in the front tire with single compound at the rear. The 16 also has dual compound front with triple compound at the rear.

I also ask about the new 003RS which will replace the 002RS. Bridgestone expects the 003RS to be available sometime mid summer. It appears the new 003RS will have multiple compounds in the rear. We'll see?

Bridgestone says they have had good success with the BT016 as a trackday tire.

Now, I said all that to say all this, "When choosing between the BT016 and the BT002RS for track day use, the BT016 may be the best choice"! :beerchug:

Did you happen to ask him about using the 16 on a "Busa" at the track ???

With the extra weight of the bike...AND that most Busa pilots are a bit heavier than a lot of track day riders. It's just too much for the tire...it is a more advanced design and would work better on a lighter bike/rider combo.

My tires were melting and the bike was slippin' and slidin' everywhere :banghead:

Looks like the BT002 and the BT002RS are different tires? I do NOT have the RS..

Bridgestone Battlax BT-002 Hypersport DOT approved Street/Track Day Tire

I think CharlesBusa has experience between the 2 tires... the RS is not a DOT approved tire maybe?

Last edited:
Grip might be comparable between the two, but the 016 doesn't handle the heat as well as the 002...on a 600, 750, or even a 1K it would work better than the 'Big Girl". The extra weight of the bike AND the torque just EATS up the edges of the 16 :whistle:

Looks like the BT002 and the BT002RS are different tires? I do NOT have the RS..

I think CharlesBusa has experience between the 2 tires... the RS is not a DOT approved tire maybe?

What is the date code on your 002's and exactly which model do you have ???

I suppose you'd have use that rule of thumb "More stick = softer rubber"!

Softer rubber = faster ware!

Just can't have your cake and eat it too, I suppose?

I think either tire would work just fine for the average street rider.

Last edited:
I suppose you'd have use that rule of thumb "More stick = softer rubber"!

Softer rubber = faster ware!

Just can't have your cake and eat it too, I suppose?

I think either tire would work just fine for the average street rider.

Steven, have you ever done a track day on a Hayabusa (full day) not just a session or two?

The 016 is too soft for the Big Girl @ the track...

hmm I will have to check the date codes but seems to me the tires were only about a month old when I got them...(gotta pull them down to look again).. The 016's are 3808 for sure.. so around Sept of 08

Copied from Bridgestone's website...BT-016 compares to...

"Compares to Dunlop Qualifier, Michelin Pilot Power/Pilot Sport HPX, Pirelli Diablo/Rosso, Metzeler Sportec M-3/M-1"

BT002RS compares to...

"Compares to the Dunlop Sportmax GP, Michelin Pilot Power, Pirelli Diablo Corsa, Metzeler Racetec"

The BT-016 is more of a 'street' tire...the BT-002RS is the better tire for the track.

I've used them BOTH on a "Busa" @ the track...the 016 is TOO soft on the rear compounds for a Busa.

Steven, have you ever done a track day on a Hayabusa (full day) not just a session or two?

The 016 is too soft for the Big Girl @ the track...

Rich, if you have no fear of twisting the throttle you can distroy either of those two tires by days end on your fat chick. Your busa will overwhelm the very best race tire and no street tire stands a snowballs chance in hell.

I'm not arguing your experience with track day tires. Tires are indeed a matter of preference. What works well for one guy may not work so well for another. As you know, suspension has a huge effect on how a tire peforms. Although your experience with the 16 was unacceptable the next guy may step up to the plate with different suspension and/or different riding style and the tire would perform beautifully.

I don't have a horse in this race but I have interest in both the 16 and 002 so I contacted Bridgestone to gather info directly from the horses mouth. I was simply sharing what Bridgestones Rep. Adam Kaempf shared with me. Whether Adam is right or wrong, I am in no position to judge!

:beerchug:

Back