Broken Bolt Removal From Busa OUCH (pic)

I have had to use a dremmel to make a small slot in the top of the bolt and use a flathead screwdriver to get it out the rest of the way. I had to take my time getting it out, but it was pretty simple and easy to do.

If you can't get it using an ez out, drill it first dead center with the smallest bit then move up until almost all of it gone. Chase it with the correct size tap to clean the rest of it out. Had a body bolt break on me and I used the same method with no scratched frame or damage to the threads.

First thing you should do is soak it with a penEtrator like simple wd40 or something more drastic like break free.
Let it set overnight and hit it with the stuff a few more times over that period of time.

Then grab it with your wise grips...

ITS FROZEN...LUBE IT UP AND LET IS SIT

A buck says it comes out..

Last edited:
If you heat some other bolt up then hold it on the broken bolt to transfer heat to soften the factory locktite that might work.DO NOT HOLD THE HOT BOLT WITH YOUR HAND'S!!! I will not be responsable for the outcome of that kind of action. Or if you could mig weld a bolt to it the heat from the welder will soften the locktite up and the bolt will probb. come right out.Is there any of the bolt sticking out of the backside to grab?

Last edited:
book say 19 ft/lbs..:rulez:

Actually I never got a chance to tighten the bolt. It broke off-only after about three turns. So it wasn't even half way in. It just snapped in two about 1/3 of the way in the hole. The bolt must have been weakend by something because it came apart very easily.

I just had to extract one of the fairing bolts from my bike this afternoon. I bought some of the cheapo frame sliders, turns out they have ALUMINUM bolts supplied. I thought they were stainless! After 5 months in the bike the threads were galled up enough that it snapped right off when I tried to loosen it for an oil change. I'm replacing them with stainless, but that's another story...

To get it out, I center punched it (mine was flush with the frame), drilled it, and used a screw extractor. Before I put any torque on it, I used a small propane torch, heated the area, and then melted cutting wax into the threads. It works much better than any of the lubes/sprays available, the melting wax will work it's way into the threads almost immediately.

WD40 NUMEROUS TIMES AND TAP IT WITH THE PLASTIC HANDLE OF A SCREWDRIVER.

SPRAY AND TAP...TAP..TAP..

Try it. Let it sit. Spray it. Tap it.
Then grab it with vice grips..

A buck says it comes out..no heat..no drill...nada..

Things dry and frozen in there , need to juice it up and get some liquid in there to soften it up..

Cant hurt..Then you can start replacing your frame...:laugh:

Given that you probably snapped it with a wrench indicates the threads are locked pretty good, probably from corrosion. Recommend drilling and easy out (extractor), but heat it with a propane torch after you drill and before the easy out. The heat will break the threads free. You don't need to get it red hot, just real hot. HEAT!

Just use an easy-out!!! Don't try anything else until you try that first. I had one break off this past summer and was actually able to get it out after I drilled the hole for the easy out. As soon as i tapped the easy out into the hole I was able to loosen the bolt by hand. Didn't use any WD-40 or any heat!!!

Sounds like you might have cross-threaded it in there. Be prepared use a tap n die set.

First thing you should do is soak it with a penEtrator like simple wd40 or something more drastic like break free.
Let it set overnight and hit it with the stuff a few more times over that period of time.

Then grab it with your wise grips...

ITS FROZEN...LUBE IT UP AND LET IS SIT

A buck says it comes out..

+1000 - Definately soak in lube multiple times for several days. Then try one of the mentioned techniques. In the end you may have to drill it out and re-tap.

This always a ***** but patience and lots of penetrating oil will usually win the day.

If this bike was used - someone may have used a thread sealer. Some sealers are basically permenant others can be loosened with heat? Even the semi- permanant (blue locktite) can be a *****. Good Luck...

No....EZ-Out didn't work. The bolt is in there too darn tight. I got the EZ-Out in there but couldn't turn it. So now I have a hole drilled all the way through and not at dead center....this is absurd.

I still don't have it out yet.

No....EZ-Out didn't work. The bolt is in there too darn tight. I got the EZ-Out in there but couldn't turn it. So now I have a hole drilled all the way through and not at dead center....this is absurd.

I still don't have it out yet.
Heat? Penetrating oil? Cutting wax?

I'll try a little harder and show a pic later.

No, I don't have a torch in the house and I've already spent $80 on an EZ-Out kit and a new Tap & Die kit. Just getting a little frustrated and am trying desperately not to f-up the bike.

Back