Bolt broken off in frame.  Need ideas on removal

Tungsten is sharpend to a needle point extended a little further out of the cup add a little more argon and there isnt usualy a problem.Have done it many times in my dads old shop.But one must go with what is comfortable to them,and when it works sweeeeeeet.Good luck hope your all set with it soon.Would make me crazy. ;)
Really.......even with the heat, and threads right next door.......I've done quite a bit of tig in my life, and I'd call it risky..........that's just me though. :super: :super: :beerchug:

Oh, and what is a tap handle? lol I have never heard that term, does the handle have another name I might know it better by?
Sorry for the delay, had a virus & didn't want to pass it on!

Two types of tap handles. Flat and T
T type is better, basically it is an attachment that will grab the tap (or easy out) by the square end, gives you leverage and lets you hold the tap (or easy out) straight.

Much much better than an adjustable wrench!

Tap_Wrench.JPG

Thanks Mickey :D Well I couldn't find a left hand drill bit or an EZ-out :super: but I did find something at Sears called a bolt extractor - it looks like a pointed drill bit with large spaced threads. I didn't notice that I had lost the proper drill bit that I need to use with it so I couldn't properly use it yet. I also tried something also called an extractor kit, picture below. It didn't work worth a crap. Should Sears have an ez-out? Anyone have a picture so I can see what I am looking for?

drill1.jpg

Also, novice question here :D if I drill out enough of the center of the bolt should I be able to remove it all without damaging the threads or am I going to need to tap a new set of threads?

Also, novice question here :D  if I drill out enough of the center of the bolt should I be able to remove it all without damaging the threads or am I going to need to tap a new set of threads?
Just use a drill bit about half the size of the bolt and make sure it stays centered and you will be fine.

These are easy outs. NAPA or another good auto supply store will carry them. Be sure to use the correct size drill bit, it is stamped on the side of the easy out. A RH bit will work, but it may tighten whats left of the fastenter into the threads.

If you do bung up the threads, you can resore them with a Heli-coil. That's lesson #2.

Easy_outs.JPG

These are easy outs.  NAPA or another good auto supply store will carry them.  Be sure to use the correct size drill bit, it is stamped on the side of the easy out.  A RH bit will work, but it may tighten whats left of the fastenter into the threads.

If you do bung up the threads, you can resore them with a Heli-coil.  That's lesson #2.
Oh no Mikey.... heli-coil.......yer gonna open a whole new can o worms now.......better let him get the broken bolt out first.

BTW.......do you always use that type of easy out........I went to the square type a few years back and have been way happier. :super:

I have use the square style also. I do find they are stronger (more snap resistant) and they bite better, but I have had some stripping issues with them. The teeth are sharper and I think (IMHO) that they may cut and strip rather than turn the fastener. Also, the spiral style has a more gradual taper and I think make more contact with the fastener. Both work and I have had both fail.

If that sucker dosen't want to come out, it's Helicoil time!

P.S. You may be right on this one, as no one want's to deal with a snapped off easy out. Then its time for the pros and an EDM job!

Maoz...I did the same thing when I laid my bike down.  Snapped the bolt deep in the hole.  You can save the threads by taking a dremel tool and drilling yourself a little hole in the center of the bolt.  Go down to the hardware store and get yourself an Easy Out kit.  Put the easy out bit in the hole and take your time so as not to snap the easy out and back the bolt out.  I went and got another bolt from the dealership and it slipped right in without having to retap.  I could have swore that you had taken a pic of my bolt hole....LOL.

Maoz...I did the same thing when I laid my bike down.  Snapped the bolt deep in the hole.  You can save the threads by taking a dremel tool and drilling yourself a little hole in the center of the bolt.  Go down to the hardware store and get yourself an Easy Out kit.  Put the easy out bit in the hole and take your time so as not to snap the easy out and back the bolt out.  I went and got another bolt from the dealership and it slipped right in without having to retap.  I could have swore that you had taken a pic of my bolt hole....LOL.
:tounge: :tounge: :tounge: :tounge: ;) where ya been dude.....that's what we said.

Success! I used a square ez-out after the round ones did nothing for me. I drilled out the center of the hole, tapped the ez-out in, and reversed the bolt out with a wrench. Treads are in perfect condition :D Thanks for all the help guys!

Back