Bolt broken off in frame.  Need ideas on removal

maoz

Registered
One of the main bolts that attach the right side fairing to the frame was broken off in the bolt hole when I laid my Busa over. :sad: I would greatly appreciate some assistance and ideas on how I can remove this broken bolt from the frame. Obviously I can't bolt on a new fairing until I resolve this. As you can see from the pictures, a small part of the bolt hole was sheared away as well.

I have enclosed a couple pictures, one of the hole with the broken bolt in it, and one of the corresponding fairing bolt hole on the left side of the frame so you can see what this bolt is supposed to look like.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

DSCF1221.JPG

Here is the corresponding hole on the left side of the frame, i.e. what the right side hole should look like.

DSCF1222.JPG

Sears my man, they hae several tools that should make short work of it. Also because it is your frame you might to take it too the Pro's and let them do it, just to make certain your frame isn't damaged in the process.

It allmost looks like there is a steel insert pressed into the backside there in the top photo. I would Johny Cheese specifically, before anything gets more broken...

Go to a machine shop supply house.  Get a LEFT HAND drill bit and an easy out.  buy a tap handle to fit the easy out.  You are going to use a left hand drill bit so if it catches, it loosens (rather than tightens) the bolt.  Sometimes the bolt will come out with the drill bit alone!  (We can only hope)

Center punch the broken bolt.  Be sure you get the punch mark as close to the center of the bolt as possible.

Using an electric drill in reverse, drill a hole with the left hand drill bit in the bolt,  It is OK if you go through the bolt, but don't drill into the engine behind it!  Be sure you drill STRAIGHT into the bold, you don't want to damage the threads in the frame.

Put the easy out into the hole and firmly (Not too hard, not too soft) tap the easy out into the hole until the teeth bite.

Attach the tap handle to the bolt and unscrew it.  It you still have trouble getting the bolt out, tap the back of the tap handle with a ball peen hammer while trying to unscrew it. (may take 2 people to do this)

As the bolt sheared and didn't break because you were tightening it too hard, it should be easy to remove.  The only trouble you may have is it looks like the top of the hole may have been damaged in the accident.

Removing the bolt should clean up the threads, but if necessary, use the proper size tap to chase the threads.

Good luck!

I agree or you can kick-it redneck and hit it with a chisel until you can put a straight slot screw driver.:p

Go to a machine shop supply house.  Get a LEFT HAND drill bit and an easy out.  buy a tap handle to fit the easy out.  You are going to use a left hand drill bit so if it catches, it loosens (rather than tightens) the bolt.  Sometimes the bolt will come out with the drill bit alone!  (We can only hope)

Center punch the broken bolt.  Be sure you get the punch mark as close to the center of the bolt as possible.

Using an electric drill in reverse, drill a hole with the left hand drill bit in the bolt,  It is OK if you go through the bolt, but don't drill into the engine behind it!  Be sure you drill STRAIGHT into the bold, you don't want to damage the threads in the frame.

Put the easy out into the hole and firmly (Not too hard, not too soft) tap the easy out into the hole until the teeth bite.

Attach the tap handle to the bolt and unscrew it.  It you still have trouble getting the bolt out, tap the back of the tap handle with a ball peen hammer while trying to unscrew it. (may take 2 people to do this)

As the bolt sheared and didn't break because you were tightening it too hard, it should be easy to remove.  The only trouble you may have is it looks like the top of the hole may have been damaged in the accident.

Removing the bolt should clean up the threads, but if necessary, use the proper size tap to chase the threads.

Good luck!
Mikey's right on the money......had to do this hundreds of times in my life........only didn't work, maybe 3 times in all.
Should work no prob on aluminum.......I've taken them outta rusty bolt holes b4.
give er a wirl.........just make sure ya drill dead in the center, and use a bit small enough so that ya don't hit the threads. :beerchug:

Is this a bolt that also mounts the engine? If not, does it have any clearance behind the frame? There is a chance that the bolt actually extends behind into open space, in which case you might be able to get some small plyers at it and actually unscrew it back out from behind.

Probably would not work but I am just trying to think outside the box. Otherwise try the methods listsed above.

:cool: Welder with a tig machine can add material in 2 seconds without touching the threaded area and then remove easily,if you were close my garage would do.This will leave original threads intact and wont cost much money. :beerchug:

shodas right also , weld a bolt onto the broken one then pull her out(or build up a weld onto theold bolt then tack a bolt onto it.) but try mickey d s method first.

shodas right also ,  weld a bolt onto the broken one then pull her out(or build up a weld onto theold bolt then tack a bolt onto it.) but  try mickey d s method first.
How would you weld a bolt on to the broken one, or build a weld onto the broken bolt without damaging the threads......there's no room to fit the bolt and still weld in there......unless it was a very small bolt.......but even then it would be tight, and you'd probably still damage the thread's :super:  :super:
I think Mikey has the way this time virtually no risk. :thumbsup:

Thanks guys, especially Mickey D :) I'm going to give this a shot today. As much as I wrenched on my ATVs and motorcycles I've never had to remove a broken bolt that was completely broken off in a case. Wish me luck - I'll need it!

Oh, and what is a tap handle? lol I have never heard that term, does the handle have another name I might know it better by?

shodas right also ,  weld a bolt onto the broken one then pull her out(or build up a weld onto theold bolt then tack a bolt onto it.) but  try mickey d s method first.
How would you weld a bolt on to the broken one, or build a weld onto the broken bolt without damaging the threads......there's no room to fit the bolt and still weld in there......unless it was a very small bolt.......but even then it would be tight, and you'd probably still damage the thread's :super:  :super:
msf, your prolly right, i took a good look at the pics and that bolt is in there good no way i know of to tack anything to it without damage but then i only play with my mig.this method has helped me a lot on cars especially manifold bolts.

msf, your prolly right, i took a good look at the pics and that bolt is in there good no way i know of to tack anything to it without damage but then i only play with my mig.this method has helped me a lot on cars especially manifold bolts.
I hear ya.......just kinda freaks me out a bit being it's kinda deep........wouldn't wanna wreck the poor guy's bike. :eek: :thumbsup: :beerchug:

Tungsten is sharpend to a needle point extended a little further out of the cup add a little more argon and there isnt usualy a problem.Have done it many times in my dads old shop.But one must go with what is comfortable to them,and when it works sweeeeeeet.Good luck hope your all set with it soon.Would make me crazy. ;)

Well I didn't get a chance to work on it yesterday but I am going to give it a shot this morning. Worse comes to worse I'll just have to drill it out and tap a new hole. I'm just glad it isn't a structure bolt.

Back