Broken Bolt Removal From Busa OUCH (pic)

goblinsix

Registered
You're looking at a broken bolt in the right-side foot peg bracket. Darn thing snapped right in half with minimal torque. It made a nice mess for me to have to clean up. So...any good advice on how to get this bolt out without making a complete mess? The vice-grip around the piece isn't even budging it.

Drill it out? Easy-Out?

Drill and e-z-out. if you can find some left handed drill bits it makes it a little easier, as sometimes they'll grab and spin it right out for you.:thumbsup:

I would try the easy out first...sometimes that works and sometimes not, but if it doesn't work then you already have your starter hole drilled to drill out the remainder of the bolt~!~

Sometimes once you drill a bit out you can take you vice grips and collapse the bolt in to get a good twist on it...

I would try the easy out first...sometimes that works and sometimes not, but if it doesn't work then you already have your starter hole drilled to drill out the remainder of the bolt~!~

Sometimes once you drill a bit out you can take you vice grips and collapse the bolt in to get a good twist on it...

+1 or you could try to dremel a slot and use a flathead but if the bolt broke a screwdriver probably won't touch it either

Looks like a great way to screw up a perfectly good day. Let us know how it works out for you!
Good luck!
Posted via Mobile Device

If you're going to drill it, take a dremel or some other small grinder or file and whack the end of it down as flat as possible. There's nothing like having a good sharp drill bit walk off a broken bolt and scar up your otherwise clean frame. :beerchug:

If you have a Dremel, grind a slot to fit a large flat blade screwdriver. It's the least invasive before moving to a more drastic approach. Good luck.

If you have a Dremel, grind a slot to fit a large flat blade screwdriver. It's the least invasive before moving to a more drastic approach. Good luck.

+1, Dremel to the rescue.. there is enough sticking out to make a nice standard screwdriver slot.

Lucky that you have that little bit still sticking out, take a "cheap" box end wrench that fits snugly over the "nub" of the broken bolt. Zap it with a mig welder and weld the nub of the broken bolt to the wrench........It will spin right out with little effort (cause you just welded a handle to it, LOL) throw the wrench away. If you don't have a welder.....go with the easy out idea.

If all fails you could try......take a nut that fits on the bit of broken piece that's still sticking out. Place it on the sticking out piece, if it could thread on the broken bolt would be great. Then arc weld the nut onto the bolt, use a spanner or socket & back it out of there.

hum i guess the factory is using loctite on those also??? i wonder if some pb blaster and vice grips would work...all the others above are great ideas tho, the dremel/screwdriver one sounds good....good luck:thumbsup:

Back