Bought a new truck today I will never own

Turbo810

Donating Member
Registered
I bought a new Chevy 1500 LTZ today. They had to get it from another dealer. All was set up so I sign the paperwork. They were going to pick the truck on Saturday and deliver it to me.

So I was on my way back to work and I get a call. The other dealership sold the truck. Now they have to try to find a new truck for me and back date the new paperwork so I can still get the tax credit.

Just thought you might enjoy my little story. I get a nice chuckle out it.

Nice...Went looking for a Toyota truck about 3 weeks back couldnt find the one i wanted at the price i wanted. Dealer told me they cant order but can requestone.. 3 to 6 months maybe.. cool no problem i need to save a bit more cash for a down. Now just after X mas a deal calls me and says my truck in and they cant hold it.. :banghead: Dude Xmas = no cash you told me 3 to 6 months......Wel they did it once they can do it again in 3 to 6 months...we all know how that will go.... well thats my new truck purchase story...

Bummer Turbo hope they get one for you soon.
For me Hey its California, we ride our Busa's all year round :whistle:

Yeah that sucks! I had a friend trade his car in took the new car and drove it for a couple of days and his credit didn't go through. He went back to get car and they had sold it already.

if they sold his car how the hell does that work? What'd they do for him?
Posted via Mobile Device

My question... How is this bike related? :laugh:

Seriously though, sucks that the sold the truck from under you, hope they make it right!

ltz are sweet. im gonna get a one or a platinum f150 later in 10 or early 11

Yeah that sucks! I had a friend trade his car in took the new car and drove it for a couple of days and his credit didn't go through. He went back to get car and they had sold it already.

All car lots have a holding lot. They can't sell the car you trade in UNLESS your credit gets approved. And most hang on to the car afterwards for a week just in case you don't want the car. :whistle::whistle:

I was a new car sales mgr for one of the largest Lincoln Mercury dealers in the country.
Palm Beach Lincoln Mercury, boy did we sell some Lincolns..

Any way..anything goes.
ESPECIALLY AT THE END OF THE YR.

Wanna know what happened to the truck you thought you were getting.
It was sold by an eager salesman who convinced his mgr it was his bonus car and there you go.
Lincoln Mercury had an Elite club for salesman that sold 200 plus new units a yr.
Bonus was $10,000 payable Jan 15th the following yr.
I have seen it come down to just a few cars in the end and salesman will do whatever they can to deliver cars because they are strictly commision.

IF YOU DON'T SPOT 'EM.....YOU DON'T GOT 'EM....
Is what I taught them. If you don't deliver this car now you never will. And you know what over 40% of buyers who sign today will get cold feet before delivery and change their mind......or the mgr from the other dealer they shopped (me) would call them and offer another $500 to sweeten the deal. by the time other salesman speaks to them they are already driving my car !
Sad story but car sales is a cut throat biz because of the pay structure.
Even as a mgr I had a nice 'guarantee' based upon a certain amount of units delivered.
Then the bottom of the American car industry feel out and PBLM went from 250 new units a month to barely 30 in less than 5 yrs.

They will be able to get you another truck just like the one you want , that is unless you had them locate a Pink truck with purple wheels on it or something.
You need to find out from the salesman you signed with how imp this deal is to him and his mgr. It may be to both their bonus unit and you should work them for some free window tint or lifetime oil changes for the inconvenience.

As far as the comment regarding whether or not you can sell a customers trade before they take delivery of said new vehicle. Whoever said it cannot be done is WRONG ! Credit approval doesn't matter.
You have expressed intent to do business and by signing you give dealer permission to dispose of your trade as they see fit. Read the fine print...nobody ever does !
You are dealing with three diff depts. new cars who is selling the new unit, Used cars who watch all trades like hawks to sell to their leads and wholesalers who haunt the lots looking for incoming cars as well. It is all about 'turnaround'. The quicker you can turnover or turnaround a car on your lot the better. Cars are like stocks the value goes up and down daily. Look at SUVs. A couple yrs ago you could get decent $ for one in trade now nothing more than a boat anchor they are. You dont want anything on your lot past 60 days.

Let's say customer comes in buys a new car and signs for it only that the one they want is an incoming new yr unit or current yr locate as stated. Ideally you want to deliver locates with 24 hrs and incoming units asap. Cuz people get calls and cold feet. Customer is 'DeHorsed" from his current trade and sent home in a demo ALL THE TIME.
Dehorse means simply to take him out of his saddle and put him in one of yours nomatter what.
This way NO MATTER WHAT customer has to return to your delaership. Although I did lose many deals and have had to pick up our demo from another more aggressive/likeable dealers lot.
Thing is while they are out in your demo their car is getting cleaned, prepped, booked and SOLD Instantly as soon as customer signs papers.
Read the back of the contract. Dealer no matter what takes possesion of your car upon ink drying.
I have sold trades in the past aand had customers back out of the deal. All I can say I hoped the salesman could put that fire out before it got to me but it never did, Somehow the customer always got my unlisted cell # and reamed me a goodin' !
What did we do ? Well some went to court and i do not know what happened as I was not sent or told but some we simpy had to right the customer a check for their car.
This is good if they were reasonable and bought elsewhere but God help you if they got shopped out and simply wanted out...........Yer skrewed dude....
People are not happy after gettin thrown around several dealerships whe they return to see you sold their trade.

You gotta hold their feet to the fire.
Many, many times they would call and say well my son got sick, I broke my foot, Ethel past away....Blah Blah Blah.......we changed our mind we want our car back...we're on our way with your car please have ours ready.....
Oh Chit.....panic !
When they get there the mgr (me) takes them into a room and 'sweetens' the deal after telling them they have no car to pick up and sits back out of arms length and crosses his fingers.
It can and will cement a deal and nobody is more wishy washy than tri-state retirees in SoFla.......:rofl:

Boy I could tell you some stories...
Ones like salesman taking credit cards out of purses and swiping them for depos. When customer gets back they are bullied into signing. Not my practices but it happens.
The worst one was the kids of said retiree. The retiree being an ex navy man and still completely full of wit and vinegar negotiates for 5 hours sometimes and chisels us down to the bone....zero profit..
Then writes a check for $57,000 for the new Navigator they always wanted.
Next day here comes the Navi, the kids and the customer.
Now hes invalid and incoherent. We took advantage of him, how dare us.
he cant evenmake coffee anymore...
All BS. One of only two things.
He got a better deal elesewhere or the kids were pissed he spent 'their' inheritance.

Too much stress , too much shenanigans. Not how I was raised but dealerships are like that cuz they have to be to survive.

Heck the dealer that sold the car you were supposed to get prolly beat your dealer by that one unit for the yr and the mgr got a 25k bonus for doing it....seen it and made it....
In the 8yrs I was there. I started in sales and within 3yrs was on desk.
In my tenure as mgr we were ranked in the top ten dealers in the country out of over 400 for customer satisfaction as well as units sold.
We moved cars period at all cost. Put it over the curb.
I wanna see BRAKE LIGHTS AS MY CAR IS SOLD AND LEAVING THIS LOT DO YOU UNDERSTAND ME YOU LOWLY PEON SALESMAN YOU.......NOW GET OUT OF MY OFFICE WITH YOUR EXCUSES.

Good luck...at the stealership

AND KNOW YOU KNOW...............THE REST OF THE STORY.........GOOD DAY....

Last edited:
I was a new car sales mgr for one of the largest Lincoln Mercury dealers in the country.
Palm Beach Lincoln Mercury, boy did we sell some Lincolns..

Any way..anything goes.
ESPECIALLY AT THE END OF THE YR.

Wanna know what happened to the truck you thought you were getting.
It was sold by an eager salesman who convinced his mgr it was his bonus car and there you go.
Lincoln Mercury had an Elite club for salesman that sold 200 plus new units a yr.
Bonus was $10,000 payable Jan 15th the following yr.
I have seen it come down to just a few cars in the end and salesman will do whatever they can to deliver cars because they are strictly commision.

IF YOU DON'T SPOT 'EM.....YOU DON'T GOT 'EM....
Is what I taught them. If you don't deliver this car now you never will. And you know what over 40% of buyers who sign today will get cold feet before delivery and change their mind......or the mgr from the other dealer they shopped (me) would call them and offer another $500 to sweeten the deal. by the time other salesman speaks to them they are already driving my car !
Sad story but car sales is a cut throat biz because of the pay structure.
Even as a mgr I had a nice 'guarantee' based upon a certain amount of units delivered.
Then the bottom of the American car industry feel out and PBLM went from 250 new units a month to barely 30 in less than 5 yrs.

They will be able to get you another truck just like the one you want , that is unless you had them locate a Pink truck with purple wheels on it or something.
You need to find out from the salesman you signed with how imp this deal is to him and his mgr. It may be to both their bonus unit and you should work them for some free window tint or lifetime oil changes for the inconvenience.

As far as the comment regarding whether or not you can sell a customers trade before they take delivery of said new vehicle. Whoever said it cannot be done is WRONG ! Credit approval doesn't matter.
You have expressed intent to do business and by signing you give dealer permission to dispose of your trade as they see fit. Read the fine print...nobody ever does !
You are dealing with three diff depts. new cars who is selling the new unit, Used cars who watch all trades like hawks to sell to their leads and wholesalers who haunt the lots looking for incoming cars as well. It is all about 'turnaround'. The quicker you can turnover or turnaround a car on your lot the better. Cars are like stocks the value goes up and down daily. Look at SUVs. A couple yrs ago you could get decent $ for one in trade now nothing more than a boat anchor they are. You dont want anything on your lot past 60 days.

Let's say customer comes in buys a new car and signs for it only that the one they want is an incoming new yr unit or current yr locate as stated. Ideally you want to deliver locates with 24 hrs and incoming units asap. Cuz people get calls and cold feet. Customer is 'DeHorsed" from his current trade and sent home in a demo ALL THE TIME.
Dehorse means simply to take him out of his saddle and put him in one of yours nomatter what.
This way NO MATTER WHAT customer has to return to your delaership. Although I did lose many deals and have had to pick up our demo from another more aggressive/likeable dealers lot.
Thing is while they are out in your demo their car is getting cleaned, prepped, booked and SOLD Instantly as soon as customer signs papers.
Read the back of the contract. Dealer no matter what takes possesion of your car upon ink drying.
I have sold trades in the past aand had customers back out of the deal. All I can say I hoped the salesman could put that fire out before it got to me but it never did, Somehow the customer always got my unlisted cell # and reamed me a goodin' !
What did we do ? Well some went to court and i do not know what happened as I was not sent or told but some we simpy had to right the customer a check for their car.
This is good if they were reasonable and bought elsewhere but God help you if they got shopped out and simply wanted out...........Yer skrewed dude....
People are not happy after gettin thrown around several dealerships whe they return to see you sold their trade.

You gotta hold their feet to the fire.
Many, many times they would call and say well my son got sick, I broke my foot, Ethel past away....Blah Blah Blah.......we changed our mind we want our car back...we're on our way with your car please have ours ready.....
Oh Chit.....panic !
When they get there the mgr (me) takes them into a room and 'sweetens' the deal after telling them they have no car to pick up and sits back out of arms length and crosses his fingers.
It can and will cement a deal and nobody is more wishy washy than tri-state retirees in SoFla.......:rofl:

Boy I could tell you some stories...
Ones like salesman taking credit cards out of purses and swiping them for depos. When customer gets back they are bullied into signing. Not my practices but it happens.
The worst one was the kids of said retiree. The retiree being an ex navy man and still completely full of wit and vinegar negotiates for 5 hours sometimes and chisels us down to the bone....zero profit..
Then writes a check for $57,000 for the new Navigator they always wanted.
Next day here comes the Navi, the kids and the customer.
Now hes invalid and incoherent. We took advantage of him, how dare us.
he cant evenmake coffee anymore...
All BS. One of only two things.
He got a better deal elesewhere or the kids were pissed he spent 'their' inheritance.

Too much stress , too much shenanigans. Not how I was raised but dealerships are like that cuz they have to be to survive.

Heck the dealer that sold the car you were supposed to get prolly beat your dealer by that one unit for the yr and the mgr got a 25k bonus for doing it....seen it and made it....
In the 8yrs I was there. I started in sales and within 3yrs was on desk.
In my tenure as mgr we were ranked in the top ten dealers in the country out of over 400 for customer satisfaction as well as units sold.
We moved cars period at all cost. Put it over the curb.
I wanna see BRAKE LIGHTS AS MY CAR IS SOLD AND LEAVING THIS LOT DO YOU UNDERSTAND ME YOU LOWLY PEON SALESMAN YOU.......NOW GET OUT OF MY OFFICE WITH YOUR EXCUSES.

Good luck...at the stealership

AND KNOW YOU KNOW...............THE REST OF THE STORY.........GOOD DAY....
Spent 10 years working at GM dealers and this story is total..........

TRUTH!!!!!

Absolutely. Trust me as long as the dealer is still breathing they're making money on the deal. "We're taking a loss on the deal" is BS. They'll wholesale the car and write off the loss actually turning a profit before they lose on a deal.

I actually had a salesman sell my personal truck on me. No kidding, came to me with a story about his car broke and needed to borrow my truck. He wanted to take the customer to lunch while the new delivery was getting cleaned up. This lot had 1000 cars on it and he wanted to borrow mine? Customer asked personally because his daughter thought it looked cool. Meanwhile said customer is crawling under my truck with no kid in sight.???

After a little pressure he finally buckled telling me that the guy called over the phone, bought a truck we had listed online, got there and it was gone. Then he picked mine, made the deal, all that was left was a test drive.

I told him my price, the salesman choked, the guy finally talked to me, he choked. Finally the deal fell apart and the guy left. The salesman was yelled at over losing the sale and for not talking to me before trying to sell my truck.

They will do anything to sell a vehicle, just like BB said.

There may be some truth to it when they tell you they are losing money to 'earn your business'
Ask to see the invoice or MSO on the car. It will have actual dealer cost on it.
Figure cost less rebates and try to work them for what is labeld as 'holdback' on the invoice.
This is usually around 1k that has nothing to do with anyhing other than the very bottom.

I did and we did actually lose $ on some units. I lost up to 4k sometimes just to spot deliver a car I wanted to make go away. And you know what most of the time these were 'aged units' and bonus cars that I would have to pay the salesman a 1k bonus for helpling the store to get rid of it.
Any deal the desk accepts earns the salesman his unit or month bonus no matter what the numbers are and believe me I stood tall before the man (the GM and Owner) many times and had to explain why I lost 4k on a car and still paid the salesman. Because the guy who sold it deserved it and I accepted it sir. Can you say chargeback. Sometimes it came out of my pocket directly other times it came off my total gross for the month which directly came out of my pocket. It sucked being a mgr !:banghead:

When you have units sitting depreciating losing rebates as time goes by you get rid of them no matter what !
If you sell 200 plus units a month, profit on 150 of them and lose your arse on the rest your bottom line is all that matters and as long as it was green and decent I would lose $ on cars all the time to deliver.

I don't have to buy the truck. There is nothing wrong with my car. BTW I still have posetion of my car that I "traded in" on the truck. So if I I'm not happy with the deal I can just walk. The only reason I'm buying is the 0%. There are no 1500's around this area anymore. So they may have to upgrade me to a 2500 for the same price:laugh:.

They may be telling you no more 1500s cuz if they go any farther to get it it will cost them more $ than they figured the deal for.
Ask them how far out they have searched. Region, Zone or state ?
I have brought Navigators in from TX before to save deals.

They are only going 250 miles. The only ones they can find are red, black white. I want granite blue or silver. Like I said I don't need the truck so I can just walk away.

Use the factory website to locate your own truck.
Print out about four or five that meet your needs and go in there with them.
Say one of these is the truck YOU ARE GOING TO GET ME !

Mgrs and salesman generally are LAZY and if it does not show on the first locate they say it ain't out there. They lose the fact that to you it's a special event. To them it's just another unit and you are just someone whom they most prolly won't call or remember two weeks from now.

Followup is key and most don't do it !
Sounds to me like your going to the wrong dealer if they are not doing all to make you happy !
You should be driving the General Mgrs demo now as a sign of good faith from them.
Can't tell you how many times I drove some customers rat hole trade home cuz a salesman made a mistake or something. Not saying your trade is bad or anything !

Back