Bought a 2005 LE today

John0872

Registered
I've been lurking on and off for about a year now trying to decide if the Busa is the right bike for me.  I went to the dealership (Coleman PowerSports-Falls Church, VA) on Tuesday and seeing the 05 LE in person sealed the deal.  I'm not a huge fan of some of Suzuki's paint schemes, but the LE looks VERY good on this bike.  

While I'm at the dealership on Tuesday I Talk to the sales guy, he say's "busa's are on special for $9780". I ask if the LE is included and he says "yep".  I ask about all the other fees and he says an additional $980 for tax, tags, freight, setup, etc.  Not great, but not too bad...$10,760 otd for the only color that I really like.  

I wasn't going to seal the deal that day.  I needed time to check insurance rates and think the whole thing through.  

Time to call the insurance company; I'm actually nervous waiting for the callback with the quote.  I was pretty shocked when my agent said full coverage would be $592 a year for full coverage.  I was paying $460 (before I dropped collision) for a 2002 BMW R1150R that only cost $6500 when I bought it used almost 2 years ago.  

At this point I'm on a collision course with buying the busa and nothing can stop it.  

I drove down to the dealership this afternoon and put down my deposit.  The sucky part is I have to wait until Tuesday to pick up my check from the credit union.  4.9% for 24 months sounded better than separating from $10k of my savings.

Now it's time to wait. This is truly going to be one loooong weekend.

John

AWESOME BIKE, DEAL, etc. The stars have aligned my friend!!!

CONGRATZ and welcome aboard the good ship busapop!

congrats on the bike, and thats a great deal on the insurance.

I check with progressive yesterday to see if i could get a cheaper rate ( i pay about 50 bucks per month ) and they wanted 2600 bucks per year.. WTF no accidents and tickets.

who are you with?

congrats on the bike, and thats a great deal on the insurance.  

I check with progressive yesterday to see if i could get a cheaper rate ( i pay about 50 bucks per month ) and they wanted 2600 bucks per year.. WTF no accidents and tickets.  

who are you with?
Check with State Farm, dude. We pay $96/month for a truck, a car, and both our bikes. State Farm is the way to go. I've had one claim through them, and that actually was a bit of a headache getting ironed out, but only because our claim rep was a FNG who was as inexperienced as heck...but it worked out in the end. They rate by CC of the bike, not sport, supersport, et cetera. Give 'em a try for a quote.

And by the way, John...congrats on your purchase! It's gonna be awesome!
wink.gif

Congraduations John! I was at Coleman today too, their Woodbridge store. Not to rain on your parade, but I didn't have such a nice experience. I bought my FJR at Coleman back in March. Bought a Seadoo RXP supercharged jetski too. I took the Seadoo to them back last march for its 10 hour inspection. It was running perfect when I gave it to them (68mph GPS). After I got it back in the water it ran much slower (56 mph GPS) than it did before they touched it. Back in the shop it went. Several weeks went by. Lots of Service Center promises, "It's a bad super-charger sir. We have it on order for you", "Yes sir it'll be done by Thursday", "... done by Monday for sure", "We ordered more parts", "... by Wednesday next week", "... by next Tuesday for sure! Finally, "We can't tell you when it'll be done."

Over 3 weeks and they still couldn't fix it. Finally I called another dealership, and asked if they had factory trained techs, explained my situation and said they'd be glad to look at it. I told Coleman I'm coming to pick it up. Them, just before I take it back, "Sir, I think we have it fixed. It was spark plugs!" Me: "Really? Why would a 4-stroke need spark plugs after only 12 hours?" Them: "Well we ran it in the test tank, so there's a chance it might not be really fixed." They claimed they called Seadoo for technical assistance. Later I called Seadoo myself only to find out, they never called! Obviously they had no idea what was causing the problems. They were just guessing. That was it, I took it back. Tomorrow it goes to a different dealer, and we're planning on calling Coleman's Corporate Headquarters next week to lodge a complaint.

I had a similar experience with Coleman's Service Center with our twin engine Seadoo jetboat a few years ago.

As I stated above I bought my FJR from Coleman. It's coming up on it's 600 mile check up, and there's no way I'm taking it to them for service! The sales department is pretty good, but all bets are off when it comes to their service!

I was planning on buying my '05 Hayabusa from Coleman too until this Seadoo mess started. I ended up buying it from Louisana and having it shipped to me instead (under $10K for everything; taxes, title, shipping, etc).

I really think there's a couple of things going on with Coleman Powersport, 1) because of their locations, they just have too many customers and its negatively affecting the quality of their service work, and 2) Based on what I've been thought it's obvious they don't have factory trained techs.

Enjoy your Busa, but beware the Service Center! As for my Busa and FJR? I'm planning on buying the service manuals and doing, at least the minor, services myself!

That is a good deal for this area ... congrats ... and which insurance company do you use?

Congrats and welcome to the board. Hide your withdrawl slips to your savings account....the mod madness will comence shortly.

Congrats and welcome to the board. Hide the withdrawl slips to your savings account....the mod madness will comence shortly.

FJRider,

I knew Coleman's reputation long before I went there. I will not be bringing my new baby to their service dept.

I read all your posts about your purchase from buyoutofstate.com and if I wasn't so dead set on the LE, I would have done the same thing. Your blue/silver was my second choice. I also thought long and hard about the FJR. I'm anxious to hear your comparisons.

sageronin,

Insurance is with Nationwide. I have my car with them and a BMW M/C. I pay like $180 a year for comp/liability(no collision) on the beemmer. I'm 32 with one recent speeding ticket (I don't think they've pulled my record recently).

John

Cool and thanks John ... I'm definitely gonna' be shopping for cheaper insurance soon ... I'll add them to my list of companies to get a quote from ... I'm using geico now:(

Congrats! Great buy on the bike!

Welcome to the board!

John0872 - Ok, glad to hear you're aware of Coleman's service rep. Let me know if you run across a good wrench turner. I'd definitely like to find an honest service center with trained techs!
smile.gif

The LE was my first choice too, but the blue/silver was close behind. By the way, State Farm quoted me $700/yr (clean record and I'm 52). I'm going to check about moving my home insurance and maybe one of my cars to State Farm to see how much that lessens the Busa rate.

The buyoutofstate.com (Calmes Suzuki) deal worked out pretty good. My hump and left fairing had a few light scratches, but a quick call and an email with pictures to Calmes and replacement parts were on the way (under warrany)! No fuss, no muss! Calmes is a really good dealership to work with. I spoke directly to the owner of the dealership several times. He's seriously concerned about maintaining top-notch customer service. I wouldn't hestitate to buy another bike through them. Just wish I lived closer!

I carried on a lengthy discussion with the guy from the shipping company, who deliverd my Busa. I learned that the shipping containers that these bikes come in catch hell during their transport phase sometimes. Part of the reason for this is the crate isn't quite high enough off the ground for some forklifts, so the forks bang into the metal crate structure, sometimes bending it up, bouncing the bike around, and tearing into the cardboard. Since the open metal crate is covered with just cardboard, it's easy to get scratches or scuff marks should anything penatrate that cardboard cover.

Before you take delivery of your LE I suggest having the dealer roll it out into the sun and check it over very carefully. If you point out any defects they'll replace any parts under warranty, but drive it off the lot and you'll play hell trying to convince them you didn't do the damage.

I'm also anxious to compare the FJR to my Busa. Unfortately I wasn't able to get my tags yet, so it'll have to wait until next week. All I can tell you so far is, they definitely sit differently! The FJR is, by far, more comfortable. At this point, I'm glad I own them both.

John - One other thing. When you get your Busa home, trickle charge the battery over night (a "Tender" charger works great). During the building process I had to put the acid in the battery. I let it sit awhile and checked its voltage. It was pretty low. I'm betting most dealers probably don't put these new batteries on charge prior to customer pick up.

Sounds like a great deal. Enjoy, I know I am...just picked up an 05 LE myself. As far as Insurance, try State Farm, I had American family and they quoted me $1785.00 for the year....and State Farm is $300.00 for the same coverage. 32 years old, good credit, no tickets in 10 years, and Law Enforcement discount (I think). Anyhow, enjoy, and remember the phrase "Self COntrol is good".
biggrin.gif

I'm also anxious to compare the FJR to my Busa. Unfortately I wasn't able to get my tags yet, so it'll have to wait until next week. All I can tell you so far is, they definitely sit differently! The FJR is, by far, more comfortable. At this point, I'm glad I own them both.
You should talk to GM1300 , he had an FJR.

I am pretty certain he does not regret getting rid of the FJR.

At this point, I'm glad I own them both. [/QUOTE]

You have no idea what youve gotten yourself into do you?

I don't understand. Tax, Tag, and paper fees have to be there, but freight, setup and whatever else they try to tack on is all figured into MSPR. I have read that in a number of different places. The price should be MSRP + tax,tag,and paperwork fee ($50). That still sounds like a good deal to me. I just get bugged when dealers charge us twice for something.

Back