Biggest mistake in a group ride is?

I think the biggest mistake is riding in front of people you don't know. I always ride in the back of new, big group rides and wait for the exitement to happen in front of me....and I'm rarely disappointed :banghead:

Do you say not to put the fastest bike in front because that puts pressure on the others to keep up? If so, that could have been an issue yesterday.

While i do enjoy the group rides, i will always keep cool and hang in the back, partly cause common sense says never put the fastest bike up front(i generally ride with harleys and smaller sport bikes) and 2 i really dont mind being in the back where i can keep an eye on everyone else incase something happens and give myself plenty of space.

Although I didn't see it happen, from the way he described it I picture that he was way too close and as she went over the double yellow he filled in her space, however, she corrected and at that point he went into the shoulder to avoid having her hit him. That is way too close.

Not sure if I understand the situation. He's behind her. She's coming in too hot...can't he just see that and get on the brakes faster or harder and let her follow her bunk line? Unless he was too close as in, almost right next to her, in which case, he's an idiot and I'm glad he's at least nice enough of a rider to only go down on his own and not take her with him. Sounds like he was too hot in the corner and lost it and needs someone to blame. (let's face it, everyone that wrecks tries to find blame on something other than themselves.)

I suppose the definition of a motorcycle wreck usually entails that someone is in too hot (ie, over their ability). Part of your "ability" should be to anticipate the mistakes of other riders and factor that into your riding. Not being able to do that is not the girl's fault in this situation.

You ride Your Ride.
Plain and simple.

And I will Ride My Ride.

Preferably Not in a large group.

As soon as I let people,places,or things effect my riding...its not fun anymore.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

I set up group rides with my friends all the time. Most of the time it is just 3 or 4 of us that we call the core group. There are two or three others that come and go as time permits.

I usually lead the bikes but I dial the corner entry speeds way back when I lead. Most of the others in the group have cruisers or standards. You can have a huge effect on the group from the front. I normally have ridden the route a few times so I know what to expect. That keeps me from putting the cruisers in a turn where they may catch a peg.

As for new riders, I am not sure there is any good place to put them in a group ride. I would rather have them in front of me so I can watch them but if they go down it may be more pieces to avoid. If I put them behind me I might get two more wheels added to my ride. As I normally ride two up there is no room on the back for the new guy that really wants that three square feet I am currently occupying. If I can I try to take my new to biking friends on a one on one ride with some familiar areas for them. Just my two cents.

I will ride with others but not on twistys.Dirt is the same but I like to stay out front on the trails.I prefer solo or with 2-3 others.

partly cause common sense says never put the fastest bike up front

If you don't have the displine to ride within your own personal limits at all times, your an accident waiting to happen regardless if your in the front, rear or in the middle. If your smart/lucky you find those limits at the race track...

Rule #1 when riding with a group in the corners: single file in the corners! Pass on straights, whats the big rush?

This is a good topic...
I've been in groups that are level headed and we all keep a safe distance and pace,
and I've also been in groups where it was a "free for all" and they split lanes and did
mock 4 in traffic. All it takes is that one guy who has something to prove to get the
rest of the group rawled up. I hate riding alone, but the hassle of waiting for them to
show up, making sure they're back in time to be home, and worrying about
whether they can make a hard turn is way too stressful. Alotta crap nowadays is involved
in simply just riding w/ some other people.

I hate riding alone, but the hassle of waiting for them to
show up, making sure they're back in time to be home, and worrying about
whether they can make a hard turn is way too stressful. Alotta crap nowadays is involved
in simply just riding w/ some other people.

Yes those kinds of rides are no fun. Constantly glancing in the rear view to see if they made the corner... It's a nice feeling to have confidence in your riding partners.

Group rides are a blast, and around here, if you ride single you are almost guaranteed a ticket as the LE tend to pick on single riders.

It's the exact opposite up here in Washington state. Once there are 2-3 (or more) sportbikes riding together, the Washington State Patrol takes an *immediate* interest in your group. This goes a long way to putting a damper on the enjoyment.

That is interesting...How does the rider in front of you overcooking a corner equal you crashing?

When you don't want to admit to target fixation... :whistle:

Mea Culpa. I am guilty of exactly this. Following too close on a fast paced ride. Hard downhill RH turn with unexpected gravel in the road. Bikes in front of me checked up, caused me to panic and I checked up too. Ran across road and dropped it in the gravel. If I'd kept better spacing I'd been able to react better. Wasn't even my bike I dropped (Again, to the owner, I am SOOO SORRRY).

The answer lies within the question: the biggest mistake was - to go on a group ride (with strangers). A close group of friends who ride regularly and know/trust each other is quite different from a bunch of strangers getting together and then starting to push it. Even one wildcard rider is one too much, not to mention more.

Also, sitting on someone's tail on a street ride is a bad idea. What's fine on the track is not OK on the street - for obvious reasons - the level of predicatability.

I always hear this age old excuse of I was "To Hot" to make the corner. Almost always a lame excuse. The reason you fail to negotiate the corner began long before you reached the tip in point. It's called excessive speed. Yep, you guessed it, you were to fast on the straight before reaching the corner. Combine excessive speed on the straight with a lack of skill to negotiate a fast corner and you've got yourself a crash! If you aren't speeding on the straights the corners are cake, even for the inexperienced in most cases.

It all begins with to much speed on the straight. Once the rider realizes his entry speed is beyond his relm of expertise they always and I exagerate "ALWAYS" tip in to early since the safest place to be in thier mind is away from the shoulder or centerline where the danger exists. Once the bike is tipped in early we all know the results, you run wide on the exit which compounds the problem. Results is almost always stand the bike up, lock the rear brake and off they go on an off road site seeing tour.

Numerous corner getoffs could be avoided if the rider simply had better brake control. Most street guys have very VERY poor brake control. Those big 300+mm dual brake disks will burn off speed at an amazing rate, it's the fear of application that handicaps many riders.

I have been on countless group rides and alway enjoy the comraderie of meeting new riders and enjoying the social activities. The best advise I can recommend is to set a limit on the straights such as 75mph or less if there are new riders. This keeps the less experienced corner carvers from blasting the straights in order to keep up. I have found this to be the single best rule to establish in order to avoid corner crashes.

Excerpted from my group riding guidelines:

As a finally thought – be a good group member! Good groups don’t need members with big egos or a need to prove that they are the fastest or most skilled rider. If you must “go your own wayâ€￾ or “do your own thingâ€￾ and cannot ride at the groups slower pace, do not want to ride a certain route, or be a part of the group’s agenda please feel free to ride solo. Good group members should want to ride with others, and hence put aside their person preferences and agendas. Good group members are flexible, patient, courteous, and sociable. Always keep in mind that the purpose of this group is to have fun, meet people and safely ride motorcycles together.

I ride with 2 groups with a total of just over a hundred riders. In both groups - the one I started and the other that I ride with regularly there is a strict "no jackassery" rule. Leave your ego at home, if you want to ride - we ride at the lowest common denominator. That which makes the least expirienced rider feel comfortable. The Group Leader is responsible for setting that tone for the group and quite frankly I have never had anyone challenge my group ride ethos when it has been explained.

Really this is an issue of civility, Safety is always paramount and is always the first priority - fun, friendship and comaraderie is second - and actual riding is third. What you say? Riding is the third priority, yes - with respect to groups you won't be doing any riding or not for long if you don't have the first two.

I like to ride fast but with group rides it's about the group. Save your more "spirited riding" for solo jaunts or with small groups of like minded individuals. If you want to earn the respect of riders and show your real motorcycle chops recognize and help the least expirienced and skilled riders - ride at there skill level see them home safely and they and others will respect you more than zooming ahead of them and leaving them in the dust.

So the biggest mistake in group rides is - Drum roll please - Jackassery !!! - Jackassery just don't do it! Check speed and keep intervals.

Group ride pictures:

101_0107.jpg

101_0123.jpg

101_0189 (2).jpg

Back