Biggest mistake in a group ride is?

OldMan

Registered
I say it's following too close! Yesterday during a 10 rider twisty and fast route we had one guy go down. He said the rider in front of him was crossing the double yellow, as she was too hot in the corner??? Anyway, instead of hitting her he slid into the shoulder, and literally dislocated his shoulder on a boulder!
We all know to keep a safe distance, my advice now is if someone is on your ass, pull over and let them pass!

2011-10-08_11-55-28_480.jpg

No doubt, especially if you are not familiar with them or their riding style. There are only a couple people I am confident enough in their style/ability that I feel safe riding in tight proximity with on twisties or at any kind of speed. Even then there are always times when anything can just happen. Always best to keep enough distance that if they were to just stop suddenly you could do the same w/o plowing them or having to take a ditch to avoid them. Also nice to know if that happens that someone else isn't gonna rearrange your undertail either.

Hope he heals up quickly. And next time hopefully he won't have to connect another shoulder with a boulder.

golden rule is ride to your ability not theirs :thumbsup:

i hate group riding ( unless she is really nice of course ):laugh:

...participating in one. Unless you know them/their riding ability like the back of your hand.
Exactly! If there are more than 3 I get a little edgy. I guess it's my age and being really selective who I choose to ride with these days.

Group rides are a blast, and around here, if you ride single you are almost guaranteed a ticket as the LE tend to pick on single riders.

You are responsible for making sure you are maintaining a proper following distance and passing safely.

I enjoy riding with others, but 99% of my riding is solo. Running in a group hard with blind corners can be hazardous as well.

He said the rider in front of him was crossing the double yellow, as she was too hot in the corner???

That is interesting...How does the rider in front of you overcooking a corner equal you crashing? Is it so hard for us to admit when we make mistakes?

If u have New rider in the Group take 5 mins explain how your group rides. and give them the Rules of your group, No passing Etc. Hand signals and your group will have a Safe Ride.. Hope the rider heals up Fast. The Bike is replaceable..

While i do enjoy the group rides, i will always keep cool and hang in the back, partly cause common sense says never put the fastest bike up front(i generally ride with harleys and smaller sport bikes) and 2 i really dont mind being in the back where i can keep an eye on everyone else incase something happens and give myself plenty of space.

I always am the last guy in the group. Since I have the fastest bike on a Harley ride by a large margin, I watch out for the others and can always catch up to them quickly if cut off at a light etc. I also find it wierd that people try to ride over their ability on a group ride. Seems silly. But, maybe they don't know they are riding over their ability? Makes you go HHHHHmmmmmmmmmm..................

Not sure if I understand the situation. He's behind her. She's coming in too hot...can't he just see that and get on the brakes faster or harder and let her follow her bunk line? Unless he was too close as in, almost right next to her, in which case, he's an idiot and I'm glad he's at least nice enough of a rider to only go down on his own and not take her with him. Sounds like he was too hot in the corner and lost it and needs someone to blame. (let's face it, everyone that wrecks tries to find blame on something other than themselves.)

I suppose the definition of a motorcycle wreck usually entails that someone is in too hot (ie, over their ability). Part of your "ability" should be to anticipate the mistakes of other riders and factor that into your riding. Not being able to do that is not the girl's fault in this situation.

I say it's following too close! Yesterday during a 10 rider twisty and fast route we had one guy go down. He said the rider in front of him was crossing the double yellow, as she was too hot in the corner??? Anyway, instead of hitting her he slid into the shoulder, and literally dislocated his shoulder on a boulder!
We all know to keep a safe distance, my advice now is if someone is on your ass, pull over and let them pass!

WERD!! :thumbsup:

Back