Best washing techniques

BUSAFETT

Registered
OK- Today my bike is really due for a bath, and this is my first time cleaning her up.

Does anyone have recommendations for do's/don'ts, soaps to use/not use, towel or 150mph air-dry?  
biggrin.gif
 Areas to avoid water contact?

Please share with the rest of the class..

BUSAFETT

<!--EDIT|BUSAFETT
Reason for Edit: None given...|1144594633 -->

I have a really soft bristle brush that I use, lightly towel dry, let it set and drip dry for a little while then wax and then go ride.
wink.gif

Spray bike with low pressure water ,just rinse off the dirty areas , dry with a mircofiber towel while misting a detailing spray(as a lube) , then wax with non abrasive wax and polish with a clean mirco fiber towel .

The key is not to scratch the paint
If the bike is really dirty I will use a lambskin mitt ,bucket of soapy car wash soap and then rinse ,wash, rinse ,dry,wax.

Mark

Power wash her once a month whether she needs it or not. Anything more is taking away from my riding time.

When I do wash I dry her off with the leaf blower...works great and gets me really weird looks from the neighbors  
tounge.gif
[/QUOTE]
Talk about looks , I dry my dogs with leaf blower, they like it but I do get the funny looks from the neighbors

Mark

The local Hooters has a bike wash on Saturdays in the summertime! Not that I would guide anyone to do such a thing but...
hot.gif

Never use water only use lemon pledge cleans and wax at same time (shh its a secret) and WD40 on a rag to clean wheels.

wipe and wax only, and wd40 on the wheels also, only water she gets is if we ride in the rain
tounge.gif

Wash mine at the car wash every so often. Key is not to get too close to the radiator and Ignition area, wipe down and blow off.

what ever car wash soap i got i use... rinse down with low press. water... clean with mit/soapy water and rinse and dry with towel... then wipe down with honda cleaner... couple times a week i have to wipe down with honda cleaner due to the dusty nature of our north Texas DIRT air we have... black bike turns brown over night after a wash
sad.gif
Going to buy one of those "car dusters" at walmart for like $10 this week... few of my riding partners have them and use them to get all the dust/dirt off before a ride...
cool.gif

i spray concentrated simple green on the grease spots about a min or 2 b 4 i hose the bike down.. easy way to get the grease in tough spots out. spray the bike down lightly and then i just get car soap, and wash. then i wax the bike and then polish.

ok +1000 on the honda polish
here is something of interest
the honda polish cleaner is made by s100. But they have done everything to match honda formula but they just cant do it. I called and talked to a guy that works their and asked if he could sell it straight to me he said he wished he could and he knows that s100 is not as good but it is as close as they can get it without a patent violation

Back