Be carefull with your ram air tubes...

MC MUSTANG

Peace Keeper or Ban Hammer-it's up to you; IDMBT#9
Staff member
Administrator
Registered
Hokay, I said I was going to run a play by play in the mods forum for when I installed my shift light and gear indicator.
I haven't yet, because I couldn't figure out how to write all this down...but I did come across an issue that still has me a little upset.
So, I got hit by a car the day I registered my scoot back in the states after coming home from Japan.  I went down pretty hard, and being new here, I took the scoot to the only shop I knew about in the local area.  Guy was a harley/goldwing mech, but he said he would look at mine....since he was a former Marine...I said yep fix'er up.  When I picked the scoot up, I noticed a gap on both sides of the nose (front) fairing; the nose and the lowers just didn't seem to line up right.  A little while later, I asked my new guy (John Cohorn, Turn One Performance and Graphics) why the fairings didn't fit right and he said that the fairing stay was probably bent just enought to throw off alignment. I was thinking that if that was the case that one side would be really close and the other way off....
Anyway, I took the nose off to install my shift light and gear indicator.  When I went to put it all back together, I noticed that it was way too hard to line the ram air tubes up... so I went in and looked real closely... They had been resting up against the nose, not over the ram air inlets in the nose fairing.  It had been that way for almost 2 years!  So, If you have pulled the nose off and the fairings don't line up right, or it is just a pain to get the nose on, those ram air tubes should be suspect number one.  You should not have to force the nose, at all!
Just so that someone doesn't have this problem and let it sit in the future.

Now for the "Can ya help a brotha out" part.  My son stepped on the baggie that I had all my plastic fasteners in, and as you can imagine, smashed most of them to bits!  I was able to find the small push pins (most of the ones I need) but not the big ones for the inner fairings (the ones that you use a screwdriver to pry up, right under the gas tank).  Anyway, I lloked them up at RonAyers.com and to buy them (and a fairing screw and a couple of the push pins), the total cost was like $7.65 or so, but shipping was eight dollars.  I was wondering if anyone has a couple of these laying around that they would be willing to sell and send.  If I am gonna spend money like that, I would rather go throught the board.

Anyway - here are the part numbers that I need:
09139-06087 (screw, undercowl)
09409-07332 (I need two of these) (clip, side pannel)
09409-06314-5PK (I need three or four of these) (clip, inner fairing)

<!--EDIT|MC MUSTANG
Reason for Edit: None given...|1140293813 -->

Can you post some pics of the damaged ones....if I have the right ones I'll send them to ya....no charge
wink.gif

I have everything you need. FREE!!

I'll shoot you my phone number, you can call and we'll sort the mess out!
tounge.gif

Wow. You guys are awesome. The ones in TDucks pic are some of the ones I need. I'll see if I can find the old pics...
Thanks a bunch!

I noticed that it was way too hard to line the ram air tubes up... so I went in and looked real closely... They had been resting up against the nose, not over the ram air inlets in the nose fairing.  
First of all, the guy that installed that was an IDIOT!!

A Harley Mechanic! Enough said. Marine or not.

Anyway- remove the worthless screens in the inlets and you won't have the dreaded problem of hard installations. Be sure to wear a leather glove or use a needle-nose pliers when removing,, the screens will try to poke your fingers.

Your airbox will pressurize better, too!
super.gif

FREE- nose screens available to anyone that asks before 4:00pm PST today!
smile.gif

These are just spares I picked up at my local automotive store.
They are not oem but do the same darn thing.
Check out your local auto parts store in the fastener section of course or auto body department.
Think they were 25 + 15 cents respectivly.
I'll send you these 4 if you P.M. me your address by 7p.m.
I am out of here for 8 days working, won't be near a computer.

These are just spares I picked up at my local automotive store.
They are not oem but do the same darn thing.
Check out your local auto parts store in the fastener section of course or auto body department.
Think they were 25 + 15 cents respectivly.
I'll send you these 4 if you P.M. me your address by 7p.m.
I am out of here for 8 days working, won't be near a computer.
TDuck...Thanks, if the have those at the at Autozone and such I will look there! Thanks for the gouge!

Good luck on your trip!

I noticed that it was way too hard to line the ram air tubes up... so I went in and looked real closely... They had been resting up against the nose, not over the ram air inlets in the nose fairing.  

Anyway- remove the worthless screens in the inlets and you won't have the dreaded problem of hard installations. Be sure to wear a leather glove or use a needle-nose pliers when removing,, the screens will try to poke your fingers.

super.gif

smile.gif
So are you putting anything over the inlets to keep the bugs and stuff out?

Can you post some pics of the damaged ones....if I have the right ones I'll send them to ya....no charge  
wink.gif
BA thank you, that is awesome. It sounds like cookie knows what I need, so I am going to try him first....I think it will be easier that way.

super.gif

smile.gif
So are you putting anything over the inlets to keep the bugs and stuff out?
Who cares about bugs and things?

I clean a bird out of there a while back. It was funny, I was on a back road and saw this little guy fly right in front of me from the right,, but I never saw him continue on to the left?
rock.gif
I had a few questions in my mind,, bent forward over the nose (whilst still moving) and looked for the poor little thing, never saw him and went back to riding.

Later that week after being caught in a rain squall on the way home I did the normal striping down of the plastics once in the garage. Both lowers and the nose.

Well, I decided to take the filter off after everything was cleaned to take a look inside the box and "low and behold" here was the remains of the poor, limp and lifeless bird that had played a final game of chicken with the mighty Hayabusa's low pressure area!
tounge.gif

I used a glove to remove the little critter. Wrapped him in plastic and buried him in the back yard.

Funny, extreme story but removing your nose section only takes approximately ten minutes tops.

Well, I decided to take the filter off after everything was cleaned to take a look inside the box and "low and behold" here was the remains of the poor, limp and lifeless bird that had played a final game of chicken with the mighty Hayabusa's low pressure area!
tounge.gif

I used a glove to remove the little critter. Wrapped him in plastic and buried him in the back yard.

Funny, extreme story but removing your nose section only takes approximately ten minutes tops.D
So you've got your own "pet cemetery" in the back yard?

Come to think of it,, I was in the middle a deep sleep last night and I was woke up to this strange mumbling at the window. I looked up and it looked like a Looney Tunes get together out there.

After trying to wave them off for about five minutes or so I started to wonder why they just kept laughing at me?
jump9.gif

Anyone have a reputable realtor they can refer me?
idea.gif

Back