Ram air scoop screens.

Kaptain Kanji

Registered
I went to the metric bike drag races a couple weeks ago and I noticed that none
of the Busas or any of the bikes for that matter had their screens removed
from the ram air scoops. I was wondering if there was a reason they had left them in.?
According to my calculations by holding one of my ram air screens out the car
window at 80 miles an hour, there's one HELL of a lot of wind resistance to that screen.
That got me thinking if someone racing their bike would remove those screens
it would likely give them more ram air pressure into their air box.
Am I full of baloney here, or is there some validity to my thinking.??
Anyway, I only got one screen with my bike, so I took it out and it don't look
too bad without em. Who knows, I may even have a little more boost at 180 MPH. :lol:

I keep mine on so I don't suck in small birds, bigger bugs, & anything else that would piss me off by clogging up my tubes...

Even with mine left in a few weeks back when I got smothered in love bugs I still had to open airbox and clean the filter. Bits and pieces everywhere in there.
Cant imagine what it would have looked like without them still in.
No idea on diff in power without them ?

No screens here. I think it looks cleaner, besides whenever I clean my air filter it's always full of bugs, so if the screens aren't stopping them, what are they going to stop? Small rocks? If I'm getting pelted with rocks then I have bigger problems than bugs in the screens.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

2736766960102950911S600x600Q85.jpg

cheers
ken

No screens here. I think it looks cleaner, besides whenever I clean my air filter it's always full of bugs, so if the screens aren't stopping them, what are they going to stop? Small rocks? If I'm getting pelted with rocks then I have bigger problems than bugs in the screens.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

2736766960102950911S600x600Q85.jpg

cheers
ken

:rofl: You have a great way of putting things

I'll keep mine in, at the dealership we had a 350z ingest a plastic bag which cut the K&N air filter in half then wrapped itself around the throttle body. That was a $1500 repair to replace the TB and clean out the manifold.....:poke:

I would leave it in. I cant imagine that it would help in any way to remove them. you would do far better to do a mod to the stock air filter.

On a side note I never thought about that stuff getting in the filter. How often do you guys clean or for that matter change your filter. I have 11k on my bike and never opened it.

Beautiful looking bike KML. I like that racing stripe and the gold wheels. Wish they had put the
gold wheels on the Gen 1 series. I'm curious about your mirrors, why do they have what looks
like a mirrored surface facing forward.??
As far as bugs, do you have any up in canada, well except for mosquitoes of course.?? :laugh:

I have them removed on my track body, which I've been running around on the street for the past month.

31240_125505284136062_100000297732753_233030_1085112_n.jpg

I rock this when land speed racing with no screens or filter. At +180 mph it's nature's own forced air induction. Can't imaging street riding without screens and filter though.

gsx13ab1~1.jpg

I always how muchg fab work is needed for that airbox. Does it increase the volume of the box or just smooth out all the transitions and keep everything sealed?

Back