Basic mechanic skills, if you don't have em' should you be riding?

Rothman

"Professional Lurker"
Registered
There are lot's of people who ride. Many shapes, sizes, races, and creeds. What I find amazing is how little a majority of riders actually know about their bikes.

When I first started riding, I made it a point to learn as much as possible about my bike. What should you be looking for before you go for a ride? If you answer was " F' it, let's go!" then I wish you luck. I just plain wouldn't feel safe if I didn't at least know basic maintenance practices.

I would say that roughly 90% of the folks around here haven't got clue 1 about their bikes. I've only seen one or two bikes around that actually have a properly adjusted and lubricated chain. Most look like they're going to burst off at any moment due to extreme tension, no lube, and corrosion. They have sharkfin sprockets and forks that spew oil with every bump. Lot's of these guys have really nice bikes too.

....I went for a ride with one fella a few months back that has a new Ducati street fighter. He was complaining about how the bike felt unstable through the turns and was a little bouncy. I asked if he set his suspension. He gave me the all too typical with this question deer in the headlights look. The guy has been riding for years and didn't even know how to adjust his suspension...not even a little. What's dampening?:banghead: Why does nobody know how to do this? It's one of the most important parts of making your bike ride well.

....A guy I work with rides a fat boy harely and and wanted me to take a look at it because it was acting sluggish at WOT like it had no power. I walked out to his bike and grabbed the throttle, gave it a half turn without any tension on the cable .....???. You could literally turn his throttle halway around before it engaged and he didn't realize it.

I think part of the licensing process should be how to do a pre-ride inspection. Not just black and white questions, an actual hands on inspection. If you can't succesfully tell if your bike is safe to ride (at least the basics) then you fail.

I'm my opinion, if you dont know how your bike works, you shouldn't be riding. You are a danger to yourself, a danger to me, and a danger to others.

Rant over.....

Please feel free to join my rant:laugh:

My bike has a chain? It needs to be adjusted? OMG the forks have oil in them? :banghead:

From my dunce stool :cookoo:

I agree. I can understand, not actually breaking and changing chains, tires, mechanical repair, but to not be able to know if your bike is safe or a death trap... :banghead:

Maintenance is part of having a motorcycle. Learn it, love it, practice it.

We just have to face facts guys, some people just dont have mechanical minds. It would make a lot of things easier but a lot of bike mechanics would be out of work also.

Why not just open a shop that does REPUTABLE work for REASONABLE prices, and your problems would be solved! Everyone is happy! :thumbsup:

Some guys rag on me because I keep my bike so clean. Part of that is for looks, the other part is that while I am claening, I am inspecting. Bolts, brakepads, chain, etc. You would be surprised how much little stuff you find while cleaning.

It is not good to make first impressions, but when I see a bike that is filthy, I usually assume that it is not maintained, either. I know guys that ride a lot, and their stuff is dirty, but maintained. But they are usually the exception to the rule.

We just have to face facts guys, some people just dont have mechanical minds. It would make a lot of things easier but a lot of bike mechanics would be out of work also.

I'm not suggesting that they should know how to fix it. I think it's at least important to be able to identify problems. By all means take it to a shop, heck I wish guys would take their bikes to a shop at least then it would be safe.

I pay my mechanic a lot of money to take care of all that! That's why he is on speed dial. My mechanic is the bomb and he is a good friend, he never lets me ride unsafe. He is like Slick Will in Biker Boyz and I am Smoke!!! :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

I pay my mechanic a lot of money to take care of all that! That's why he is on speed dial. My mechanic is the bomb and he is a good friend, he never lets me ride unsafe. He is like Slick Will in Biker Boyz and I am Smoke!!! :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Have you had your suspension set up?

Were you on the bike when/if you did?

I've seen to many cases where guys take their bike to mech and have the suspension set up without atually compensating for rider weight (laden) sag.

Adjusting the suspension like that is like trying to ink a tatoo blindfolded.

Not to be "that guy" but I've owned several sport bikes, and have only had 2 suspension setups done. It makes a huge difference (I'm a big guy) and it is definitely worth it, but the other countless bikes were completely ride-able in their stock form.

Just don't want it to be made out that it is completely unsafe without a proper set up.

If someone is not smart enough to know that they might want to be capable of a system check before hurling through the air at 80+ mph 3 feet off the ground, what makes you think they would be any better off if they id work on the bike???? Seriously, I think you should know the bike if you ride it, especially a bike with the performance of a Busa.

It's the modern world we live in. Folks don't think about maintenance, not on their cars and certainly not on their ridden twice a month bikes. Plus lets think about this for a minute.

On a car when have you had to,
Adjust the throttle cable?
Inspect the shocks (Forks) for leaks?
Adjust the suspension?
Thoroughly inspect the tires and replace them if they have so much as a thumbtack in them?
Change the oil every 1500 miles like some claim?
Check valve lash every 24K or so?
Clean, hand lube and adjust a chain?
Spark plug inspection every 6K miles and replacement every 12K?

Sad, but true. Cars have gotten so good that it's made us quite complacent. Folks just aren't brought up knowing that they need to check oil, air up tires or anything else. Today a light comes on, they get it checked, they wait for the light to come on again. That mentality moves over to bikes except bikes aren't quite as refined as cars maintenance wise.

It's scary in a lot of respects. I've bought three bikes at three dealerships and not a one gave me a mechanical walk through and nobody thinks about maintenance so they don't check the manual. Like I said ride that bike a couple of times a month, weekly at best and the problem compounds itself.

It's not that getting things fixed is an issue for most folks, it's that they just don't know and don't want to go through the trouble to take it in for basic maintenance.

Paid a local mechanic $30 to set up my bike's suspension for my riding style/preferences And YES, I was bouncing up and down on it a few times as he took measurements and made adjustments.

OP, I agree with points you made. Curious how you feel about drivers who do not have a clue about how a car works (engine, transmission, brakes, etc.)......should they be driving :whistle:

I can say that it is important to keep an eye on your bike. When I ride I do a quick inspection. Are the tires there? Are they flat? I then kick the chain to see what kind of gunk/dirt falls off, if it isn't much I know she is still clean. Then I fire it up and see if the back brake lever is still there, well it wasn't so it was along side a road somewhere. Don't really need a back brake for a sport bike anyway! Then while idling, I check the instrument cluster. Yup, it keeps telling me my Fuel Injection is good with a flashing FI all the time. I then rev it up a little and clear out the smoke from idling. I never knew the Suzuki motor had so much smoke on start up. Of course the bike doesn't need oil or it wouldn't run, that is some special oil from the factory, it has lasted me 20,000 miles. Maybe its the factory oil filter? Anyway, off I go. I do a quick brake test to stop and sure enough if I grab a hand full of brake it will stop sooner or later with the normal loud squeal. Must be a stopping sensor to let people know I'm stopping. I will have to buy some tires next as I think I saw cords about a month ago.
I didn't like the vibration in my mirrors so I pulled them off, why do I need to look at what I'm passing for? So, that is how I start every ride. A full system check, safety check and I'm off. No Harley can keep up with me. I am the bike King!

OP, I agree with points you made. Curious how you feel about drivers who do not have a clue about how a car works (engine, transmission, brakes, etc.)......should they be driving :whistle:

I feel the same to an extent. In a car you have airbags, four wheels, crumple zones and the like which at least help you as the driver to be safer in case of an accident. On the flip side, if you're driving a car you should at least have enough knowledge to know if your tire's are low, your blinker is blinking too fast and most likely burnt out, or if your brakes aren't quite working the way they used too. Sknight had a good point above, cars have gotten better and have warning bells and whistles so to speak that indicate problems all the way down to the most basic things liketire pressure.

Let's be realistic though, do people regularly drive their cars as hard as they do their motorcycles?

Tough enough to get people to brush their teeth in the morning; they aren't interested in cleaning their chain! :D

Some guys rag on me because I keep my bike so clean. Part of that is for looks, the other part is that while I am claening, I am inspecting. Bolts, brakepads, chain, etc. You would be surprised how much little stuff you find while cleaning.

Exactly. When I change my oil, I go through everything very thoroughly, more so than the usual pre-ride check. When I change tires, I do a much more thorough check of the chain, etc. as well.

It is not good to make first impressions, but when I see a bike that is filthy, I usually assume that it is not maintained, either. I know guys that ride a lot, and their stuff is dirty, but maintained. But they are usually the exception to the rule.

My bike has a tendency to be pretty dirty in general but it's not TOO bad! :D I'd rather be riding it than washing it anyway!

--Wag--

Back