Test ride concerns?

Garrison

Registered
Hello gentlemen,

Today my friend offered me the chance to test ride his 04 busa before I purchase it.
I took it around his neighborhood and was surprised at the lack of horror and insane torque I had feared so much. It was a very manageable, albeit beastly, bike.

However, his neighborhood is essentially a ring, and upon hitting the right turn at around 30mph it seemed like the bike was actually fighting me not to turn. It would literally not allow me to drop it into the turn an basically made me take it slow... er.

I come from riding a 2000 Yamaha YZF600R, a fun bike to be sure, but very, VERY nimble by comparison. Is what I experienced the steering damper working or possibly malfunctioning? If so is that a fairly inexpensive fix? I'm getting this bike for quite a steal and I just want to make sure that his mentioning of a sprocket/chain replacement was all that was in order.

Thanks very much for any input; this seems like a very knowledgeable site.

welcome.gif

Has it been lowered?-cables,brake lines etc stretched to their limits? Got some weird tires/wheels on it?  Does the steering turn easily while not moving,steering bearings. Does your friend like doing wheelies? Dampener move freely at mounting points? Although a little heavy, the bike should turn like a dream if he hasn't messed with it.

spider___gravel_011.jpg

welcome.gif

Has it been lowered?-cables,brake lines etc stretched to their limits? Got some weird tires/wheels on it?  Does the steering turn easily while not moving,steering bearings. Does your friend like doing wheelies? Dampener move freely at mounting points? Although a little heavy, the bike should turn like a dream if he hasn't messed with it.
+1
Or are you just use to a 400 lb bike with a higher seat height. The busa is big and it does take a little more muscle to move her around than it does the liters and especially the 600s. If she is at stock height gets full turn in the wheel at a stand still and is in good working order than with a little behind off the bike you can drag pegs my man. Hope you get it figured out.
beerchug.gif

"I took it around his neighborhood and was surprised at the lack of horror and insane torque I had feared so much."

Its a Jekyll & Hyde bike. It morphs instantly at 5K rpm.

Welcome to .org
beerchug.gif
. I agree with what mymaster said. If it has not been lowered I would suspect the tires. I recently changed to Dunlop Qualifiers and the difference is indescribable. I think my Busa turns better with them than my 750 does with the stock tires. Good luck
beerchug.gif

beerchug.gif

Had that feel with mine and checked the air pressure to find it was low. Inflated the tires and all was well.

welcome.gif

Wow, such great responses, thank you!

As far as I know the bike is pristine, brakes and everything seem to work flawlessly. The bike turns like butter when at a standstill and between 5-15mph. The rear tire is completely knackered though and the chain and sprocket are pretty much shot.

Could those be the source of the problem?

+1 to the tires.

I had worn a set down from freeway riding. basically it flattened out in the center.

The sides instead of being round were.. well not round... So I discovered it was a little more effort to push it over, then after I got it over the lip it felt like it almost wanted to fall over.

Sounds like you are experianceing the same problem so I am guessing worn out tires are your problem

AIR! check the tires first. like other's have said this is very important. low air in the tires will make it 'slosh' through a turn badly. i run 42 front and back at all times (not drag racing mind you).

I second the air pressure suggestion. Figure the guy is trying to sell the bike and has no intention of putting any more time into it. Sounds backward, and it is, but sellers do it all the time.

Back