Bad to Down shift

It must take forever to stop using the back brake only. That’s insane. I hope you never have to make a panic stop. Then again, if your not going fast, you don’t need much brake………

Sometimes I come across a thread that highlights the facts that some of us dont have a clue about riding.

This is one of them

lol at back brake only users, wtf ??

moX
That is like the threads you see so often where someone writes about wanting to buy a Busa and asking about all the mods that they can put on to make it even more powerful and sooooo much faster, when in fact they have never ridden one or anything like it......

The scary part about this type of thread is it makes you wonder how many people are riding these bikes with no real idea of what to properly do in a crisis situation. They are on a bike that will launch them from zero to ballistic in nano-seconds and have no idea how to stop the friggen thing.

Kinda sends chills up your back just thinkin about it.

...Downshhifting to reduce speed is not good! Very dengerous... and very demanding on the engine!! I suggest you get over that habit... could end up in a rear wheel lock up and a bad crash.

...breaks are the best solution to shed speed!! ...In my personal experience, the busa is not too keen about high speed downshifts
Sorry Shenoyp,

On this topic, I completely disagree with you, and so does  every major safety or road racing organization in existance.

Engine braking is not dangerous at all.  Now, improperly executed engine braking on a high performance bike may be dangerous but so is any other improperly executed technique.

If you ask any racer on a road course whether they utilize engine braking, I will bet you that 99.999 will tell you they utilize it HEAVILY, especially at high speeds.

Your brakes will hold up NOT to heavy applications that would be needed on any sort of succesive turns.  Anyone who has experienced brake fade will attest to that.

The key, as others have stated, is matching the gear selected and engine speed consistant to the bikes speed.

This applies to the street as well as the track.

Several of the replies to this thread provide further proof for the need for ALL riders who move up to a high performance bike to take the appropriate training.  I apologize in advance to anyone who may be offended, BUT, the basic MSF course is only a good primer for what is needed to ride this type of bike SAFELY.....
I never use down shifting on a motorcycle to cut speed, and I have never come across a handicap in stopping the vehicle just cause I use brakes only
wink.gif

On this topic, I completely disagree with you, and so does every major safety or road racing organization in existance. [/QUOTE]

...not necessarly!! If im not mistaken Kieth Code who is considered an authority in motorcycle training does not agree to it. Some one correct me if im wrong
smile.gif

...and in my opnion a set of brake pads are lot cheaper than the drive train, gear box which wear out faster cause of engine braking!!

Thats my opinion... and so far it has worked for me
biggrin.gif

It must take forever to stop using the back brake only. That’s insane. I hope you never have to make a panic stop. Then again, if your not going fast, you don’t need much brake………
I dont think this discussion is about using only back brakes.... using only back brakes is absurd!! I dunno about other... but me, by brakes I mean Front and back brakes applied together

biggrin.gif

hilarious thread.

Of course its fine to down shift for slowing any vehicle.

Try slowing a big rig/large truck/etc without gearing down.

Sometimes I'm blown away by different views.

Sometimes, somebody has to be wrong.

Take a drivers course,truck course,MSF course,race school,racecar school,etc etc etc....ALL OF THEM will tell you its how you ride/drive safer,faster,more efficiently.

Its a Hayabusa...  not yer Grannies Chevette.

Ego is also correct,because of the compression and big bore of the Busa,the clutch gives a little in order to prevent rear wheel lockup. A good feature, especially in the rain.  

the ONLY thing I cant think of thats slightly bad about gearing down is, it can cause yer motor to consume a pinch more oil.  I think it creates a little more vaccum and as the motor becomes a bit fuel starved in will suck a bit of oil thru the airbox, or up past the rings.  No harm done thou.

Class is out.    RSD.
Yep, sometimes somebody does have to be wrong....and in this case its scary wrong.............

When reading some of these threads, and responses, it kinda makes me wonder how new some of these riders are to motorcycles in general, and high performance machines in particular. I always assumed everybody worked they're way up from smaller bikes to bigger like I did.....it seemed like in the old days thats what most of my friends did. If you have to ask questions like these and overthink these things when riding the fastest bike made....kinda makes me think you prolly haven't quite got the experience for this level of bike.
This is one of THE most basic riding skills of all  
wow.gif
By the time you're riding and owning a Busa this stuff should all come natural.....if not maybe you oughta consider parking the Busa for abit, getting a smaller training bike, and taking some good classes as RSD suggested  
wink.gif

It does seem like now days we've got alot more new riders jumping on superbikes.......
wow.gif

rock.gif

sad.gif

<!--EDIT|The Big Red One
Reason for Edit: "cause' I can......"|1115766466 -->

wow.gif

I downshift and engine brake all the time. Honestly though, I mostly do it because I think it sounds cool. Probably my inner squid trying to get out...

-Chris

I never use down shifting on a motorcycle to cut speed, and I have never come across a handicap in stopping the vehicle just cause I use brakes only
wink.gif

...not necessarly!! If im not mistaken Kieth Code who is considered an authority in motorcycle training does not agree to it. Some one correct me if im wrong
smile.gif

...and in my opnion a set of brake pads are lot cheaper than the drive train, gear box which wear out faster cause of engine braking!!

biggrin.gif
Shenoyp,

This is not to be offensive. If you ever ride next to someone who is riding the same model of bike, traveling at normal highway speed and the other rider PROPERLY utilizes engine braking and wheel braking while you utilize only wheel breaking, you will be quite surprised at the outcome. If you raise that initial speed beyond 100mph, you will be embarrassed.......

You can get away with never utilizing engine braking forever, however, if you ever come into a situation where your only option is to apply maximum effective braking, not being able to apply engine braking, will lengthen your stopping distance tremendously.

This is based on the assumption that the rider is on a high performance bike, like a Busa, it will not be as effective on a small street bike, but still more effective than just wheel braking.

It is possible that there is some racer out there who is alergic to engine braking, though I highly doubt it. We are not talking about which color is faster here, this is pure physics at it's best.

As to the brake pads?? If you apply engine braking properly you are not wearing ANYTHING out on your bike. There will be no more wear on transmission or drive train components than there is when you upshift.

I strongly suggest anyone who does not engine brake because they think it is wearing components to reconsider, you are wrong on this one. Thats right, this is not an issue of preference.

WHY ARE WE EVEN BANTERING THIS ?

who started this lame azz thread....

what a big   flop....

BIG flop needs...   . The big smackdown.

wink.gif

smile.gif

biggrin.gif
Shenoyp,

This is not to be offensive.  If you ever ride next to someone who is riding the same model of bike, traveling at normal highway speed and the other rider PROPERLY utilizes engine braking and wheel braking while you utilize only wheel breaking, you will be quite surprised at the outcome.  If you raise that initial speed beyond 100mph, you will be embarrassed.......

You can get away with never utilizing engine braking forever, however, if you ever come into a situation where your only option is to apply maximum effective braking, not being able to apply engine braking, will lengthen your stopping distance tremendously.  

This is based on the assumption that the rider is on a high performance bike, like a Busa, it will not be as effective on a small street bike, but still more effective than just wheel braking.

It is possible that there is some racer out there who is alergic to engine braking, though I highly doubt it.  We are not talking about which color is faster here, this is pure physics at it's best.

As to the brake pads??  If you apply engine braking properly you are not wearing ANYTHING out on your bike.  There will be no more wear on transmission or drive train components than there is when you upshift.
No offence Heli busa...
biggrin.gif

See ... I think Im being confused here. Maybe its how I put things across. By saying I dont downshift does not mean that if I am somewhere in the 5th gear and I brake to stop at a signal light, I dont come to 1st after the bike has stopped... Thats not what I'm trying to convey.

What Im saying is, I apply brakes first... to bring the RPM to a more tamer situation, as I downshift. Coming to the right gear that will let me tap the full potential of the bike, as I open my throtle again.

I have seen some of my friends not even touching breaks... and just downshifting crazy...and then pulling the brakes in in a emergency situation!! For me ... that just does not work.

biggrin.gif

WHY ARE WE EVEN BANTERING THIS ?

who started this lame azz thread....

what a big   flop....

BIG flop needs...   . The big smackdown.
super.gif
I would expect to see a thread like this on a newbie forum for sure.....but on a Busa forum its kinda sad. No downshifting during braking?.....brakes only??......rear brake only?!?!? My god people
wow.gif
wow.gif
wow.gif

Maybe the Busa IS more of a poser bike than I thought
wow.gif
...say it isn't so.....................

I have an idea...lets start a poll.....how long have you been ridng and how many bikes before the Busa? And be honest...............
wink.gif

I'm just curious cause' I think maybe I've been under the (wrong) assumption for years, that most folks worked their way up to bikes like the Busa
rock.gif

On a side note...I do understand a newbies fear of hurting their brand new bike....but that just points out the glaring fact that thats a
newbie.gif
fear, one which you should be WAYYYY over by the time your owning a Busa. You should know by then that modern bikes properly ridden and shifted are almost bulletproof, and will last FAR longer than you and the next 3 people who own it will ever have to worry about......so if your gonna do this thing fer cryin' out loud do it right
wink.gif
tounge.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wink.gif

Ok so starting it here might be dumb i have been ridding since i was like 14 not as big as a busa but two wheels powerd by a good motor none the less. So as everyones bashing eachother and namely ME. wtf not like i asked what was a brake for just that i come acorss threads here and there saying that its bad. So i came here to people that have helped me in the past (put yourself here) and cant belive some of these cracks towards drivers that may not no as much as you.

I don't think people were attacking "you" personally...They are attacking the issue of engine braking or not.

The irony of this whole thing is, as "The Big Red One" put it......Most people that have been around bikes for a while already know this, and it's shocking to think that there are people will little experience out there on one of the most powerfull production bikes. As he said; most of us assume that others have worked their way up to the Busa, and not just gone out and bought a shiney new toy because we had the money.

The learning that most long time riders experience, is one that teaches you what to expect from a bike, and how to feel the bike's handling. This experience helps you to make sound decisions based on experience and knowledge. Without anything backing up your decision process, the decision you make may in fact be your last. For maximum braking effectiveness, you do in fact need to use your gears, but then there's a catch...

As you really stand on the front brake, the weight of the bike is shifted forward. This reduces the pressure applied to the rear tire by the suspension. This reduces the available contact patch and if you downshift too aggresively, or attempt to apply the rear brake, then the rear tire is going to lose traction and cause a skid. Do you know what to do during a skid? Have you practiced it recently? Try doing it from 160 mph coming down the straight into a turn. Holy shid is that fun...scary, but fun.

If the rear brake is modulated and the clutch feather during this emergency stopping, then it will only add to your stopping power. It will not hurt the bike or the engine. You can cause damage by gearing down too aggressively though.

Read pages 42 and 43 of the owners manual.

And here's a quote for you from the section on Riding On Hills:

"When descending a long, steep slope, use engine compression to assist the brakes by shifting to a lower gear. Continuous brake application can overheat the brakes and reduce their effectiveness."

Of course, maybe Suzuki don't know what they're talking about - they only DESIGNED the Hayabusa...

I don't think people were attacking "you" personally...They are attacking the issue of engine braking or not.

The irony of this whole thing is, as "The Big Red One" put it......Most people that have been around bikes for a while already know this, and it's shocking to think that there are people will little experience out there on one of the most powerfull production bikes.  As he said; most of us assume that others have worked their way up to the Busa, and not just gone out and bought a shiney new toy because we had the money.

The learning that most long time riders experience, is one that teaches you what to expect from a bike, and how to feel the bike's handling.  This experience helps you to make sound decisions based on experience and knowledge.  Without anything backing up your decision process, the decision you make may in fact be your last.  For maximum braking effectiveness, you do in fact need to use your gears, but then there's a catch...

As you really stand on the front brake, the weight of the bike is shifted forward.  This reduces the pressure applied to the rear tire by the suspension.  This reduces the available contact patch and if you downshift too aggresively, or attempt to apply the rear brake, then the rear tire is going to lose traction and cause a skid.  Do you know what to do during a skid?  Have you practiced it recently?  Try doing it from 160 mph coming down the straight into a turn.  Holy shid is that fun...scary, but fun.

If the rear brake is modulated and the clutch feather during this emergency stopping, then it will only add to your stopping power.  It will not hurt the bike or the engine.  You can cause damage by gearing down too aggressively though.
What HE said......

Back