Bad to Down shift

...So has this thread reached it end
rock.gif
tounge.gif

Nah...this is going to be one of those that just keeps going on, and on, and on...Like the Energizer Bunny.
biggrin.gif

I don't think people were attacking "you" personally...They are attacking the issue of engine braking or not.

The irony of this whole thing is, as "The Big Red One" put it......Most people that have been around bikes for a while already know this, and it's shocking to think that there are people will little experience out there on one of the most powerfull production bikes.  As he said; most of us assume that others have worked their way up to the Busa, and not just gone out and bought a shiney new toy because we had the money.

The learning that most long time riders experience, is one that teaches you what to expect from a bike, and how to feel the bike's handling.  This experience helps you to make sound decisions based on experience and knowledge.  Without anything backing up your decision process, the decision you make may in fact be your last.  For maximum braking effectiveness, you do in fact need to use your gears, but then there's a catch...

As you really stand on the front brake, the weight of the bike is shifted forward.  This reduces the pressure applied to the rear tire by the suspension.  This reduces the available contact patch and if you downshift too aggresively, or attempt to apply the rear brake, then the rear tire is going to lose traction and cause a skid.  Do you know what to do during a skid?  Have you practiced it recently?  Try doing it from 160 mph coming down the straight into a turn.  Holy shid is that fun...scary, but fun.

If the rear brake is modulated and the clutch feather during this emergency stopping, then it will only add to your stopping power.  It will not hurt the bike or the engine.  You can cause damage by gearing down too aggressively though.
What HE said......
VERY well said indeed. Leave it to double aught to explain things with patience and wisdom.
wink.gif
tounge.gif

Outlawed, I wasn't attacking anybody...sorry if it came off that way. I just get frustrated when I hear of inexperienced riders on bikes wayyy over their heads. Motorcycling is one of the most enjoyable things you can ever do when done right, and a life ender when done wrong. I don't wanna see people dying for no good reason cept' nobody ever bothered to try and let them know they need some experience before getting on a bike like the Busa. I'm glad your here asking instead of keeping quiet, doing things wrong, and getting hurt.
wink.gif
tounge.gif
biggrin.gif

wink.gif

tounge.gif

Same as Ego said
biggrin.gif
 I've used the gears for engine braking on every bike I've owned for the last 25 years.

Getting used to it on the track is a little different, but sometimes it's fun when you're on the front brake hard and the back end is sliding back/forth as you downshift.
laugh.gif
I agree with this plus on the track it's super fun, and the picture of it is even better!!!

Back