Back pains.....

TurboSN95

Registered
I think I finally figured out why I have been having back pains, and I have been in denial the entire time. It seems as if ever since I put the +1" rear end dogbones, I have been getting a sharp pain in my left upper back, near my shoulder blade. Its almost a numb, hot feeling, and it gets worse when i'm doing random things like brushing my teeth, washing the dishes, sitting forward in a chair, walking a lot... I've been going to the chiropractor and he finally said "Stop riding your bike." I stopped for 3 weeks (actually rode a few short rides in between) and it got better. Two days ago I rode for about 100 miles, and the pain came right back.

Related mods on my bike are:

Heli Bars
Tobin Seat (also switched it up with the Gel seat - same issue)
+1" rear dogbones

I am thinking of going back to stock height, to possible even the bike out so I am not on as much of a forward angle, less pressure on the wrists. That pressure maybe is going up my arm to my shoulders, into my back. Just throwing out ideas here.... So far this year I put about 4,000 miles on the bike, so I got my seat time in, but my back doesn't agree.

Try it..
I had to drop my rear an inch and add 1 1/4 risers to get the perfect ride.

465 miles last Saturday and only thing that hurt was my sunburn. (OK and my butt... I think it melded to the seat the last 150 miles)

I think you're done for, you better give your bike to me  
biggrin.gif

It's a good possibility about the back end.  Can't hurt to give it a shot.  
beerchug.gif

I was +1 for 300 miles,didn't like the riding position.Turned in ALOT better and wheelied alot easier
smile.gif
but I went back to stock,now I'm -1 front and rear, it stays.

(proud dad @ Aug. 07 2007,10:15) I was +1 for 300 miles,didn't like the riding position.Turned in ALOT better and wheelied alot easier
smile.gif
How does it handle lowered like that? I wanted to lower it originally, lowered the rear but didn't do the front, and then found out about the +1 and how well it handled. I love it... but the back pains aren't worth it. I will probably try stock height, if that doesn't help then i'll lower it again.

I only lift mine(+1) for the Busa bash's. Otherwise i'm lowered and extended. The extra inch lift in the rear really adds to the weight forward feel and is not a good mod for guys with back pain.

(TurboSN95 @ Aug. 07 2007,09:27) I think I finally figured out why I have been having back pains, and I have been in denial the entire time.  It seems as if ever since I put the +1" rear end dogbones, I have been getting a sharp pain in my left upper back, near my shoulder blade.  Its almost a numb, hot feeling, and it gets worse when i'm doing random things like brushing my teeth, washing the dishes, sitting forward in a chair, walking a lot... I've been going to the chiropractor and he finally said "Stop riding your bike."  I stopped for 3 weeks (actually rode a few short rides in between) and it got better.  Two days ago I rode for about 100 miles, and the pain came right back.

Related mods on my bike are:

Heli Bars
Tobin Seat (also switched it up with the Gel seat - same issue)
+1" rear dogbones

I am thinking of going back to stock height, to possible even the bike out so I am not on as much of a forward angle, less pressure on the wrists.  That pressure maybe is going up my arm to my shoulders, into my back.  Just throwing out ideas here.... So far this year I put about 4,000 miles on the bike, so I got my seat time in, but my back doesn't agree.
add some buell pegs to the list. that might help out a bit

Anyone whose back is jacked up won't get better by riding motorcycles of any kind. You can take measures to reduce the onset of pain but you'll need to strengthen yourself (lower back, abs, legs, hip flexors, etc.) before you truly get to where you want to be.

(Over_Easy @ Aug. 07 2007,10:57) Anyone whose back is jacked up won't get better by riding motorcycles of any kind.  You can take measures to reduce the onset of pain but you'll need to strengthen yourself (lower back, abs, legs, hip flexors, etc.) before you truly get to where you want to be.
No disrespect but this does not hold true for me. I have had lower back pain (even slipped a few disks) ever since my wrestling days 15 years ago. When I ride a couple times a week, it actually gets better. The muscles you mention (lower back, abs, legs, hip flexors, etc) are what I concentrate on when I ride. Pressure off the hands/wrists by using my abs/lower for correct posture, gripping the tank with my legs, etc... When I have gone a couple weeks without riding... soreness comes back. Just some personal experience...

Sounds like when my knee was acting up, excersize and walking bothered it but when I took my Yamaha Raptor out it felt better! My wife didn't believe me at all, but it was true.

(SnapAttack @ Aug. 07 2007,11:46)
(Over_Easy @ Aug. 07 2007,10:57) Anyone whose back is jacked up won't get better by riding motorcycles of any kind.  You can take measures to reduce the onset of pain but you'll need to strengthen yourself (lower back, abs, legs, hip flexors, etc.) before you truly get to where you want to be.
No disrespect but this does not hold true for me. I have had lower back pain (even slipped a few disks) ever since my wrestling days 15 years ago. When I ride a couple times a week, it actually gets better. The muscles you mention (lower back, abs, legs, hip flexors, etc) are what I concentrate on when I ride. Pressure off the hands/wrists by using my abs/lower for correct posture, gripping the tank with my legs, etc... When I have gone a couple weeks without riding... soreness comes back. Just some personal experience...
No disrespect taken. Looks like you may have some special circumstances. Some of the soreness that you experience while NOT riding may be because of the pressure on your back while sitting, laying on the couch driving a car, simple inactivity, etc. Just sitting improperly in a chair or sofa can provide more pressure than riding the busa where you have some support from you upper body - hence sore wrists.

Having said that I would be hard pressed to believe any doctor would ever write "ride motorcycles" as a prescription for back pain. You sure that's not the excuse you're giving the wife/sig. other for riding the busa w/ a chronically sore back?
laugh.gif

(Over_Easy @ Aug. 07 2007,11:55)
(SnapAttack @ Aug. 07 2007,11:46)
No disrespect taken.  Looks like you may have some special circumstances.  Some of the soreness that you experience while NOT riding may be because of the pressure on your back while sitting, laying on the couch driving a car, simple inactivity, etc.  Just sitting improperly in a chair or sofa can provide more pressure than riding the busa where you have some support from you upper body - hence sore wrists.

Having said that I would be hard pressed to believe any doctor would ever write "ride motorcycles" as a prescription for back pain.  You sure that's not the excuse you're giving the wife/sig. other for riding the busa w/ a chronically sore back?
laugh.gif
LOL

Funny you mention the car because I'm in outside sales handling South Texas and Mexico. I put about 50k a year on my vehicles. Perhaps the motorcycle is "exercise" and "stretching" of the muscles since I don't get much walking into a day. Swimming is by far the BEST exercise for my back... the Busa is second... the wife is...

eek2.gif

...I haven't lied to in 15 years and won't start now.

LOL - I know what you were thinking...

(TurboSN95 @ Aug. 07 2007,11:49) Sounds like when my knee was acting up, excersize and walking bothered it but when I took my Yamaha Raptor out it felt better!  My wife didn't believe me at all, but it was true.
IMO - Lose the dogbones and save your back. Buy a GSXR750 or 1000 in the off-season to hit some small runs on the twisties.

I regret ever selling the RC51 and going to just one bike. They all have their purpose... why do we always try to make them into something else when that other thing already exists?

I had my old bike +1 in the rear for a while. I rode it up to NC and back that way. It was great while I was in the mountains, but on the interstate it wasn't as comfortable. I changed it back to stock, and this bike is, too. I have the 1 1/4" GenMar, also.

+1" without any complications, will put a day of riding in and cover about 300+ miles without any problems...

(TurboSN95 @ Aug. 07 2007,10:17)
(proud dad @ Aug. 07 2007,10:15) I was +1 for 300 miles,didn't like the riding position.Turned in ALOT better and wheelied alot easier
smile.gif
How does it handle lowered like that?  I wanted to lower it originally, lowered the rear but didn't do the front, and then found out about the +1 and how well it handled.  I love it... but the back pains aren't worth it.  I will probably try stock height, if that doesn't help then i'll lower it again.
-1 front and rear feels alot like stock height.still have decent ground clearance.And it will amaze you how you can keep the front wheel down in first.It will not turn in as easy as +1,but it's good enough for me.
On the front I have 1 1/4 reaper risers.I still have 1 1/4 raise on the bars being that I lowered the front and rear equally.

lowered_front.jpg

(Powers739 @ Aug. 07 2007,21:37) +1" without any complications, will put a day of riding in and cover about 300+ miles without any problems...
Is that right
wink.gif

(dadofthree @ Aug. 07 2007,22:19)
(Powers739 @ Aug. 07 2007,21:37) +1" without any complications, will put a day of riding in and cover about 300+ miles without any problems...
Is that right  
wink.gif
Unless I run out of talent... Ok, by the end of the day I'm ready to get off the bike...but I'm not sore...

Back