Pain in the...legs?!

binx

Registered
I've searched the forums and most tall people have issues with the busa, but I'm 5'9" and find it really uncomfortable to ride more than 30-45 minutes at a clip. I sit back knees pressed in on tank, no real weight on hands. I get pain on the back of my hamstrings and my knees start to hurt pretty bad and even if I slide forward its the same. Im almost flat foot at a stop, but the tank feels way to wide. I talked to Lee about doing the seats and he said it would change the way I sit and that the pain would go away. Anybody short out there that had a similar problem and a tobin seat fixed it. I've put quite a bit of loot out on the things it needed and my wife doesn't want me to drop any more (i know some or all of you understand) I need to know this will work because its getting to the point where its almost a hassle to ride cause its killing my legs. None of my other bikes did this and I've logged 3k on the busa with no signs of improvement. Thanks

Zach

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Everyone is different and the bike just might not work for you. It does for me, but that's me.

I'd be checking your foot placement. - Do you ride with the balls of your feet on the pegs, or do you ride with your feet quite far forward, almost on your heels?
If the latter, try shifting your feet back so that the pegs are just behind your toes.

It's pretty odd. I am 5'9" and don't have issues. I could ride for 1 - 1.5 hours and even then may have no need to stop because of legs. I once rode for 3 hours without ever stopping.

Your complaint seems to suggest that maybe you are not relaxed, you know maybe your legs are tensing up without you realizing it. Maybe you need a bit leg related workout. Try sitting on a bike when it's parked and conciously relax all your leg muscles. Is this how you sit during the ride?

Another thought. I had a problem with stock foot peg positioning. They seemed to be placed too forward which caused me to feel pretty odd - I had to sort of press on them with extra effort in order to support my body - which in turn would load legs and hamstrings in particular. I got an aftermarket ones which allowed me to move foot peg position back about 1". This made it a lot more comfortable.

Are you pressing to hard on your tank with your knees and tensing your legs up, I don't know but just a thought.

I normally ride with the balls of my feet on the pegs, now I've been switching to see if it helps and it doesn't. Maybe its the pegs placement, sat on a new cbr 1000and weirdly felt alot better. I rather push the busa than ride a honda though. I had an 02 and 08zx6r and a08 10r before this. I'll check my seating out tomarrow and see if Its me

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

I am 5'10 and dont have problems? ??? I got buell pegs and no complaints now at all...

here is the link to order and joe is great to deal with. specify gen1 or gen2 just in case. here is mine to give you an idea how low they are. good luck!

20110216_03.jpg

As mentioned above, it sounds like you need to extend your legs a bit. The Buell peg mod is cheap and very effective. Check it out and go from there.

It may be your saddle causing unusual stress, but before you spend the cash change your riding position. This bike is big for guys our size, and I have found that changing my riding position is a must. Here's what I suggest:

STOP SITTING BACK! I am 5'9"...barely, I've owned an 06 CBR1k and now my 08 Busa. Sounds like your feet are too far forward bro. Sit into the tank a little more and relax your legs/feet. You don't have to move your weight to your hands, but you do have to center your weight through your hips/feet. Slide as far forward as you can and relax. Give that riding position a week or two. Your body has to adjust to the change.
:beerchug:

Also, when I am cruising on the highway I typically move my feet forward a bit. I bring the peg to the front of the heel of my boot. This helps as it changes the position of your feet and legs.

Some good suggestions so far. The first item I would install is the Buell pegs, highly recommended! Also, try and observe if you are tense/gripping the tank with your knees. Really make a conscious observation and check. That could be an issue; besides leg/foot position.

Please forgive me if I sound like a "know it all" but I'm going to say this......motorcycle ergonomics are certainly part of this equasion BUT, do you exercise? Do you do leg presses, jog, bicycle, calf curls, Yoga? Is your nutrition good?
I don't know you or the shape you're in but I do know that, now that I'm in kick butt shape, I don't care what motorcycle I ride or where the footpegs are located, I can do it for many hours with full enjoyment. Censor me for being self focused....that would be missing this point. The better shape I get to, the more varied I can perform physical feats with strength, balance and comfort. That includes touring for hours with extreme rear sets, clip ons and a track seat, this is another catagory the motojournalists miss.....making your body capable to match the machinery! Raydog

Im going to check my position tomarrow when I go to americade, its like 2 hours for me so it should be a good trial and error session. Maybe I can get the buell pegs and tobins there...lol Anyone going ??? If so let me sit on your bike, would love to see first hand how these feel. Thanks again for the input. Ill let yas know what I came up with. Hope to see some busa's there and hopefully some org peeps. Ride safe

Zach

Back