Touring pain

ColdBusa

Take this Jerry, you silly little rodent
Donating Member
Registered
Hey everybody, I was just wondering what you guys do to help with touring pain. I just got back from Sturgis last week and there were 2 days where I did 9hrs of riding and 1 day of 15hrs.

First of all, my a$$ was killin me. I would be able to sit for about an hour and then I would be figiting and moving around as I couldn't get comfy. What seat would you recommend to fix this? it was drivin me crazy.

Also, my right palm (throttle hand) is now numb, and it has been 6 days since I have been home. It is numb and a little sore all the way from the base of my thumb to the other side of my hand, it also tingles at times. What the hell could I do to remedy this?? Would a throttle meister help out my situation?? I really like to tour on my busa, but when this happens I just wanna tip my bike over and burn it, now I don't even wanna ride it until the pain goes away.

Sorry for the long post, any help would be great, thanks.

Gary.

Any touring mods? And yes, Throttlemeisters would help. Want a set? I got some I'll sell.
smile.gif

Hey Gary

There have a been a few posts on this subject before. You may want to do a search and see what comes up. I find with myself after riding for 3-4 hours straight my right hands start to go a bit numb as well. I have some new Icon Merc gloves on the way, these gloves have a thick palm pad on them and may help damper the vibrations from the bike. My current gloves are Joe Rocket GPX gloves, they are comfy but the palms are fairly thin. You can buy a throttlemeister as well I've heard nothing but good comments about them.

As far as the seat goes you want to get a seat from Tobin. This guy from what I hear is mutts nuts when it comes to seats for the Hayabusa. Here is a link to his webpage Tobin Seats

Good luck

CB

Most certaintly the Throttlemeister will help. I do LD rides and relax my fingers ACROSS the levers while contoling the throttle with my palm while using the throttlemeister. Really relieves all the stress in the fingers and hand. Of course you ONLY do this on open roads and NOT in or around traffic. As for your BUTT ! I haven't had any problems with my tobin, but if I were to change and had BUTT Ach problems, I would go with a Russell Day-Long ( day-long.com ). I don't think they're as neat looking  
SHOCKED.gif
as the Tobin or Corbin, BUT they are the MOST comfortable for Long Distance riding. Also, your hands should come back after 4-5 days, you just strain all the muscles and lig's in your forearm, hand and palm. Common for someone who isn't use to 15 hours rides following rides day after day. Soak them in warm water and use some Icy Hot (brand name) pads around your wrist when your at home at night  
beerchug.gif

(ColdBusa @ Aug. 19 2007,21:56) Hey everybody, I was just wondering what you guys do to help with touring pain. I just got back from Sturgis last week and there were 2 days where I did 9hrs of riding and 1 day of 15hrs.

First of all, my a$$ was killin me. I would be able to sit for about an hour and then I would be figiting and moving around as I couldn't get comfy. What seat would you recommend to fix this? it was drivin me crazy.

Also, my right palm (throttle hand) is now numb, and it has been 6 days since I have been home. It is numb and a little sore all the way from the base of my thumb to the other side of my hand, it also tingles at times. What the hell could I do to remedy this?? Would a throttle meister help out my situation?? I really like to tour on my busa, but when this happens I just wanna tip my bike over and burn it, now I don't even wanna ride it until the pain goes away.

Gary.
As far as yer butt, riding for that amount of time is going to hurt one way or another, no matter what seat you use. Best thing that I've found is whenever it starts to get annoying, I simply stop, walk around, stretch, get some water, take some photos...anything to get off the bike for a moment and relax. I've got a Tobin seat and love it, but after multiple consecutive days of 300-500 mile rides, I honestly dont think any seat out there can fix the fact that you're putting a lot of pressure on the same points of your body for 10+ hours a day. Get up and get the blood flowing again!

For your wrists, Thottlemeisters can help reduce vibration, and if you're out in the open and cruising, having them gently hold the throttle open really saves your right hand. On straight highways I can practically ride with my hands barely touching the bars.

Dont burn your bike! I just finished 12 days of riding and tacking on 4000+ miles on the odometer - I glad to be off the bike for a few days, but I'm looking forward to riding out to Vegas in about a week
smile.gif

Start out with shorter rides to build up your mileage/time endurance in the saddle. Sheep skin covers work well if you use them at the start of the ride. Once you get saddle sore, you are shagged anyway. Bring along some talc powder and some zinc oxide to help with the red azz. Throttle rockers help alot on long trips and the same goes for bar risers and taller wind screens.
rant.gif

I just did 6500 in nine days and one thing that helps is to lean into the tank with your stomach and use it to take pressure off the wrists and arms. Also, use two fingers on the grips instead for the full hand helps a lot.

Corbin seat, 3/4" gen-mar risers, heli bars, TL1000 pegs. Totally changes where your weight is positioned and the overall comfort. I can ride the day away and it just feels fine at the end of it.
super.gif

(Cblast @ Aug. 20 2007,03:41) Corbin seat, 3/4" gen-mar risers, heli bars, TL1000 pegs.  Totally changes where your weight is positioned and the overall comfort.  I can ride the day away and it just feels fine at the end of it.  
super.gif
Are the TL1000 pegs better than the Buell pegs?

Another thing you might consider is compression shorts. Those are the shorts with the gel inserts that bicyclists wear. They don't make them in my size, but BusaWhipped wears them and puts tons of miles on his busa
bowdown.gif
- except when work sends him away so I can almost catch up in the mileage challenge...
biggrin.gif

My butt is usually fine, but my throttle hand goes numb every time. I still think its got something to do with the way I'm holding my wrists. Would throttle meisters help. I already have a friction cruise control so i don't need anything to lock the throttle.

(CrashTestDanny @ Aug. 20 2007,13:05) Another thing you might consider is compression shorts.  Those are the shorts with the gel inserts that bicyclists wear.  They don't make them in my size, but BusaWhipped wears them and puts tons of miles on his busa  
bowdown.gif
 - except when work sends him away so I can almost catch up in the mileage challenge...
biggrin.gif
+1 on the shorts. Make sure you buy top quality ones however. You want the ones that have 6 to 8 panels in them. The padding quality can also make a big difference.

Bike shorts info

The Corbin seat works for me. Some find it bit hard, but it has to break in to your but. It is less comfortable with your legs on the ground at the stop light because of the width. But, are we riding or walking the bike in a parade?

I switch back and forth between three seats. A stocker for around town. The Corbin for anything over say... 30 miles. And I have a Carbin Fiber pan when I'm only putting 1/4 mile on it at a time.

The bike shorts fix a lot of problems. I started wearing them in the late 80's running 2 hour cross country dirt racing. They have always helped but they have come a long way.

(P-Willy @ Aug. 20 2007,10:05)
(Cblast @ Aug. 20 2007,03:41) Corbin seat, 3/4" gen-mar risers, heli bars, TL1000 pegs.  Totally changes where your weight is positioned and the overall comfort.  I can ride the day away and it just feels fine at the end of it.  
super.gif
Are the TL1000 pegs better than the Buell pegs?
They're lower than stock but still not as low as the buell pegs. I have the TL pegs and thought it was a worthy invesment. If you go that route PM Vman1300 - he's got the best deal on the TL pegs.

Coldbusa, +10000 on the Tobin seat - helps a ton. That said, you ride as far as you did in that amount of time something is going to hurt - probably even if you were on a goldwing.

Couple of issue I have with a Tobin compared to the Corbin for long range touring.

1) It is built to hold you in place a bit tighter. You can not slide front to back/back to front to change riding positions every 30-50 miles.
2) The way it is cut down, it decreases the distance from the seat to the pegs, negating some of the effects of installing non-OEM pegs.
3) Being cut down, you can feel your butt touch the seat pan on some of the rougher bumps.

Don’t get me wrong, I have ridden a few miles on a borrowed Tobin. It is a nice seat. I’d love to have on for in town, but I didn’t warm up to it for a longer ride.

On the other hand, many don’t like the Corbin.

You have to find what works for you!

(yamahor @ Aug. 19 2007,22:08) Any touring mods? And yes, Throttlemeisters would help. Want a set? I got some I'll sell.
smile.gif
Really, you got mail.

The Suzuki gel seat works very well for me. I have done many 500 mile days and could have gone more. Not very many people use them, but i think they are great. Only downside is they get hot if you park in the sun. I just cover mine with my jacket when parked.

Karen___bike_019a.JPG

(DREW @ Aug. 20 2007,14:24) Only downside is they get hot if you park in the sun.
You are not kidding there!
AAAssjani.gif

I don't know how they get that hot!

(ColdBusa @ Aug. 19 2007,21:56) Hey everybody, I was just wondering what you guys do to help with touring pain.  I just got back from Sturgis last week and there were 2 days where I did 9hrs of riding and 1 day of 15hrs.  

First of all, my a$$ was killin me.  I would be able to sit for about an hour and then I would be figiting and moving around as I couldn't get comfy.  What seat would you recommend to fix this? it was drivin me crazy.

Also, my right palm (throttle hand) is now numb, and it has been 6 days since I have been home.  It is numb and a little sore all the way from the base of my thumb to the other side of my hand, it also tingles at times.  What the hell could I do to remedy this??  Would a throttle meister help out my situation??  I really like to tour on my busa, but when this happens I just wanna tip my bike over and burn it, now I don't even wanna ride it until the pain goes away.

Gary.
For that kinda riding I'd recommend a true sport tourer. I never do more than light days of ridng back to back...I'm too tall and the busa is comfy within reason.................for a sportbike
wink.gif

I have stock seat and have not had butt pain, but I am also fat and have padding.

I do not have any touring mods. I actually figured out my riding position had a lot to do with my throttle hand going numb. I was putting to much weight on hands and had wrist bent down and it caused had to go numb. I also will hold end of bar with only a finger or two on throttle and it gives you less aggressive riding position. Hold your weight up with legs and the advantage to holding end of bar, if you hit bump on road you do not blimp throttle accidently as easy

Sounds like you may have some nerve damage there? If my hands were still tingling nearly a weak after a ride I would go see a doctor. As far as what you can do to negate this from happening in the future everything everyone else already mentioned plus a Throttle rocker! I would never even attmept a ride like that without bike shorts though!

Back