Attended a funeral today

MC MUSTANG

Peace Keeper or Ban Hammer-it's up to you; IDMBT#9
Staff member
Administrator
Registered
Well - where to begin? My wife is heavily involved in out local homeowner's association and through it I met a guy named Ralph - (his wife was involved as well). Ralph was an older guy (57) but man did he love bikes. He had a Goldwing trike that he and his wife rode together, and a Valkrie that was all his. I did an ABATE Toy Ride a couple of weeks ago and Ralph and I had a blast there... well, last Sun morning, Ralph passed away - Sat was his anniversary and he had played a round of golf, gone on a ride and then took his wife to a rally were they were voted thier club's couple of the year for this year... when he went to sleep that night he never woke up.

I went to the viewing the other night and it was a little strange... all goldwing riders sort of looking at me wierd because I choose to ride to the funeral home to see him - sort of seemed like the right thing to do, you know?

Anyway, while there, his widow asks me to participate in the funeral procession - I could not say no. So, today, at 0830, I show up to the funeral home again. The ride Capt doesn't know that I was asked, so he sort of gives me grief about the ceremony being private, etc... well, the last thing I wanted to do was cause trouble, so I get ready to mount up and just meet them at the cemetary... when someone comes running back just about screaming at the ride capt for chasing me off... turns out that Ralph had mentioned me to a few of his group friends and had intended to try to recruit me into thier GWRRA chapter (Gold Wing Road Riders Association) - someone recognized Bessie from Ralph's description. Anyway - then all of a sudden everyone is my friend...

Anyway, we head out to PCola to the Military cemetary and he recieves a military funeral - complete with a rifle volley -
It was really a humbling experieince - anyway -
Senior Chief Libertini - rest easy Sailor, we have the watch.

Great story Shawn.

I'm proud to know you.
beerchug.gif

Tough times before Christmas... my prayers and thoughts are with you and your friends families!

My deepest condolences to you and your friend's family. Such a young age. Life is short.

I could only hope to have such a day for my last one on earth. At 56 years old, this story hits home. I try to live each day as the last . The last thing I do when talking to my family, is to tell them I love them. You never know when it will be the last time you speak to them. Shawn you are a stand up guy, I'm proud to know you. What was no doubt an uncomfortable situation for you has meant something special for the family I can assure you. Prayers to the family.

RIP Senior Chief Libertini...

Funny how a fallen rider can bring new riders together... isn't it?

I'm sure Ralph was glad to see you riding Shawn !
beerchug.gif
Prayers sent to his family .

Sorry to hear about your friend Shawn. You are truely a man of honor. Semper Fi

Back