All of California ~ is on F I R E again *

The Ferguson fire about 25 miles north has grown to 33,000 acres, about 51 square miles and is still threatening to cross into Yosemite. Supposedly 13% contained, whatever that really means. Triple digit heat isn’t helping either. The funeral for the Cal Fire dozer operator killed a few days ago was held today.
Aaahhh, summertime in California.:(

Red's backyard stomping ground(Idyllwild)is now on fire and another new one up in Redding.

Yeah I was just reading, mine (Ferguson) has grown to over 44,000 acres and Yosemite is closed. My area is a ‘locals only’ road and although not threatened by the fire, ash is covering my yard and it’s smoky outside. The Carr fire in and around Redding in Shasta county is out of control altogether it seems. Summertime in California...

I work in San Jose, so I have the surrounding area. In the last 3 weeks I have worked 4 fires, most recently in Gilroy. When these go they happen quick, 3 of the 4 I found out about or ran across on my way home then had to engage with Cal-Fire and local agencies. I usually do what I can to investigate the cause. One was caused by a mower in tall grass. The rest are still under investigation. People really need to make sure they have defensible space, sad to see homes go up like that. It has gone so far as to be accepted as the norm and we stood up a Wildfire Safety dispatch, including deployment of new weather stations, 24/7 monitoring of all state fire agencies within our service territory. Once the fires are cleared then we get to go to work. We are also employing proactive de-energization of our facilities in Tier 3 Extreme risk areas. Pic below was taken on one of the fires, line crew replacing a pole in fire area after air assets were released and granted access. Located in the San Jose area using specialized equipment due to terrain.
Line crew.jpg

Wouldn’t it be nice to have a fleet of say two dozen 757 sized water tankers that could drop in sequence one after another on these great fires.
Yes it would.

I am still figuring out the use, but we did also just purchase two Blackhawks to help out with some heavy lifting, which we loan to agencies when needed.

Not the first time Lake Mathews area caught on fire ~ these wildfires are insane out here & need to stop *

Air quality is nasty right now ~ smells like a camp fire site *

Maybe our POS governor and his billionaire butt buddy Tom Steyer could use the $1.5 billion generated yearly in extra taxes from cigarette sales to buy a few more tanker planes?

Back