All my gauges stopped working!!!

scottybusa

Donating Member
Registered
So where do I start? Yesterday I rode and everything worked great.....stopped for about an hour, and when I cranked her back up, there was nothing! Everything read ZERO........my headlight worked, the oil light worked, and the back light was on, but all the gauges stayed pegged at zero.

I drove it to work and parked it for 8 hours.......when I started her up again, the speedo and tach moved up to about the 30mph levels and the fuel and temps jumped up to about half, and they've been frozen there ever since. No sweep, no movement whatsoever. The connection seems fine on the back of the cluster and all of the fuses are fine. I would try the speed sensor, but since the other gauges are screwed up also, I'm at a loss.

I have a TRE installed and also a SpeedoHealer, but even when I bypassed them both, no change!

Any ideas?
rock.gif

Thanks BusaCruise! Yep, I tried that too...........................no luck........it seems very, very dead. I did wash the bike that morning.........I wonder if water got into the gauges and destroyed them.
sad.gif

Pull the guages out and check the connector on the backside. Should have a self-locking tab on it but still a place you should check. If thats not it, find the ground wire running to the guages, run a ground directly to the neg. terminal on the battery. that will eliminate the chance of a bad ground(Hopefully Guages Pop to life). The rest is wire by wire troubleshooting.

I had that problem once, it was my speedo healer. One of the switches were accidentally turned on and nothing worked on my faceplates

(KanjiBusa @ May 01 2007,02:56) I had that problem once, it was my speedo healer. One of the switches were accidentally turned on and nothing worked on my faceplates
I bypassed that, just to make sure it wasn't the culprit, then unhooked the battery for a few minutes before re-hooking it up........and still nothing.
pissed.gif

Ok............I'm sorry, but I think Suzuki dropped the ball on these gauges they designed. After realizing that I had washed the bike the morning of the problem, I decided to tear into the cluster.................

Here is the back of the gauge cluster after removing it from the bike.

P5100001.JPG

The water can get in from all over the cluster.....there aren't any rubber or sponge seals to keep it out......and then there's no place for the water to go quickly, so you can see where the water was just sitting there.

P5100002.JPG

Unfortunately, it was up to the circuit board and it was corroding the board. I found a diode that the corrosion had eaten through the foil part of the board, so I added a small wire and soldered from one side of the diode to the other side of the board.
smile.gif

P5100004.JPG

Yes.....it looks crappy!
wow.gif

My soldering gun was too big for the job, but it worked!!! I also touched up a few other spots that were corroded as well. I'm still not very impressed with the design of this gauge cluster.
Works like a dream again!!!

Very important lesson..............keep the water out of the top of the gauges!!!!
wink.gif

3.JPG

I think you'd be better off trying to retrofit a rubber seal of some kind... expanding foam could make it hard to fix these kinds of problems in the future.... and gunk up everything.

Honestly though, this problem was only the result of long-term corrosion from significant water exposure, right? So maybe if you just drilled a drain hole at the lowest point in the cluster....

Don't use hoses to wash the bike. Just a spray bottle and you're good to go!

--Wag--

Reactions: Ham
I don't understand this one. When I used to open my guages, there was this little thin rubber o-ring that stretched around the perimeter of the guages.
rock.gif

Back