PROBLEM: installed HID's and my gauges went out

thelakeshow2k

Registered
just installed the xenonking visionpro hid's (hi & lo). i have a 2005 and did not install a delay switch. took the bike out last night for the first ride and noticed that my speedo went out. when i start the bike up, the speedo needle jumps all they the way to the max speed and back to zero mph (i think that's normal) but nothing when i'm riding. the tach, temp and fuel gauges seem to work fine.

what's going on? :cursin:

happened to me, too. unplug the battery, wait a few secs, plug back in. hope this cures the problem (worked for me).

Did you run it to your stock headlight harness or to a relay going to the battery?
55w or 35w? Low and Highbeam at the same time on startup?

Did you run it to your stock headlight harness or to a relay going to the battery?
55w or 35w? Low and Highbeam at the same time on startup?

i'm running 35w and i ran it to the harness. i have started it once or twice with the hi beam on but try to start it with the lo beam only.

happened to me, too. unplug the battery, wait a few secs, plug back in. hope this cures the problem (worked for me).

i'm in tune up mode this week: changed oil yesterday, changing plugs right now. will try the "disconnect battery" trick tonight. :please::please:

i tried disconnecting the battery but it didn't fix the speedo. anyone have this happen and have a "fix" for it? :dunno:
Did you try starting it up with the ballast disconnected and seeing if the gauge is still messed up?
I forget what it is, but there's a "Gauge Reset" procedure pinned on one of the sections on the forum. Try that first.

Did you try starting it up with the ballast disconnected and seeing if the gauge is still messed up?
I forget what it is, but there's a "Gauge Reset" procedure pinned on one of the sections on the forum. Try that first.

no. the only gauge that doesn't work properly is the speedo. i'm sure it has something to do with the hid ballast. i could disconnect the ballast and start it, but i wouldn't know if the speedo is working until i ride it (need some mph to see if the needle is moving). i'm just hoping there was something else on the bike i could reset/unplug and plug back in. i'm gonna leave it on the battery tender for the night and see if the extra juice will help.

no. the only gauge that doesn't work properly is the speedo. i'm sure it has something to do with the hid ballast.
When I had problems w/ my HIDs, first day, the speedo gauge was messed up, then the speedo and the fuel gauge, then the tach stopped workin a day later...

anyone know if audio insullation matting (1/8" thick clay with aluminum backing) covering the ballast will shield any electrical "stuff" from the gauges?

do you think the speedo is permenently broken (the needle still jumps on start up)?

P1020894.JPG

Try mounting them on the ram air tubes like I did.

A couple folks now are having probs that I have yet to encounter.

My clock lost time twice and thats it ?

I do think it does have something to do with too much aftermarket electrical stuff near the cluster. RFI

??? Mine are mounted on the air tubes and i have never had any problems with them to include starting the bike. Plug and play with zero issues. Everything works as advertised.

Okay guys, similiar issue. When on a highway and at speed sometimes if I hit a small bump or something my speedo will wobble back and forth then correct itself. Fine on startup and on usual riding. I am thinking maybe a ballast shaking near it does this? These are where mine are, is this possibly my issue? I also have a speedohealer, and have yet to rule that out. I have checked torque on speed sensor and seems fine.

Just wanna figure this out before the season really starts. I have my dash apart to put the delay in for the HIDs finally.

and yes I realize zipties are not the answer lol, but I did it quickly last summer. Will be looking at remounting them in next few days.

ballast1.jpg

ballast2.jpg

Back