Thought it was just the HID's... Now not so sure

thelakeshow2k

Registered
Need your input...

Installed HID's and the speedometer and odometer stopped working. speedometer needle (and tachometer) will jump when starting bike but then it stays on 0 mph.

i disconnected the power plug from the HID ballasts and took it for a test run and still no speedometer and odometer. i thought that frequencies the HID put out were interfering with the guages. If the power plug is out, shouldn't the speedo start working again?

i'm thinking the HID installation initially caused the malfunction but now my question is: is my speedometer/odometer permanently broken or is there some reset switch/fuse/???? that i can get it to start working again?

I know it seems like a stupid question but did you unplug the power to the ballast or the cord going to the bulb?

The fuse box is below the clutch side dash panel, accessible with popping out a pushpin and one screw.

Gen 1 right?

I had a similar thing on a gen2... all the gauges would do the sweep but then nothing on the tach and speedo. I unhooked the main plug from the cluster for about five or so minutes and everthing worked fine. There seems to be a capacitor for the clock that kept it on for a little bit... so it had to power all the way down. Hope it works if you try it.

did you loose all gauges or just tach/speedo? iv heard powering down the cluster like stated above works some times.

I had a similar thing on a gen2... all the gauges would do the sweep but then nothing on the tach and speedo. I unhooked the main plug from the cluster for about five or so minutes and everthing worked fine. There seems to be a capacitor for the clock that kept it on for a little bit... so it had to power all the way down. Hope it works if you try it.

tried it but no change. my odometer reads 30 miles. should be 11,000

lost just the speedo and odometer. everything sweeps when i start it up.

Hy, i have this problem on my '00 busa. Installed HID, speedo and odo stoped working, removed HID - still no movement. I tested my speed sensor according to OEM repair manual and it was broken. Replaced it with a new one and still nothing. I don't know what else to do... Here's how to test your speed sensor from OEM repair manual, works:
speed_sensor_test.jpg

speed_sensor_test.jpg

Keep us all posted to the cause of the problem as this may help some one in the future.

yea let us know, I only had the needles reset so I only had to adjust the clock but everything was fine. And what company did u go with for your HID?

Two mechanics think maybe the ballast burned something up on my gauges. I told them the needle still jumps when I start the bike up. It's in the shop now. We'll see.

Two mechanics think maybe the ballast burned something up on my gauges. I told them the needle still jumps when I start the bike up. It's in the shop now. We'll see.

The gauge computer is broken. Find someone who repairs and writes the modules of car gauges, or find a chip tuning guy for cars and ask him to see if can help. This problem is because HID's high operating voltage. There are similar problems in cars.

Best regards.

I'm about to install HID's. Is this a common problem, or does it depend on where you mount the ballast?

Back