ah dang, another insurance thread

I do full coverage on everything and had progressive for many years on everything-sport bikes, Hot rods, choppers, home ect. When I went looking to buy a Gen 1 busa, the deciding factor was insurance cost. My driving record is good(knock on wood). I called progressive and they wanted $1,560/year to insure a Gen 1 on my current policy with my chopper. I checked with the some other big box companies and some smaller companies just going down the list-they all came in around the $1200-$1560/yr. That was kinda sealing the deal that I wasn’t going to get a busa. But my final call was to State Farm- they came in at $650/yr full coverage on the ‘06 I bought. They were cheap enough that I checked everything else I have(home, car, my chopper) and they came in cheaper with equal or better coverage. I called progressive and talked to them about the big cost savings and switching, even emailed over the quotes as they asked for proof-they basically said “yeah we can’t compete with that” even with me being a platinum/Diamond super club whatever top tier long term customer I was rated as and I switched everything to Statefarm. A side note from me though is in the past when I was young State Farm was expensive for me to insure anything fun and why I never went with them. I’m a bit older now(low 30’s) and State Farm is a win right now. Technically you should check rates annually to see who is coming in cheapest for equal coverage as they do change over time. Progressive used to be cheapest, but a lot of folks I know are switching over to State Farm or smaller regional companies. As for payouts- I’ve had pretty good luck with both progressive and State Farm in the past.

I was in the same frame of mind....if the insurance was crazy for my Hayabusa, it was going to sit at the dealership..

Luck had it and my insurance premium is very similar to what you paid and thus the bike came home to me..

It's sad when this sort of thing has to come into play.

I was in the same frame of mind....if the insurance was crazy for my Hayabusa, it was going to sit at the dealership..

Luck had it and my insurance premium is very similar to what you paid and thus the bike came home to me..

It's sad when this sort of thing has to come into play.
Yeah, I was looking into several bikes from the ‘06-‘09 era an
zx-14, s1000rr, busa, gsxr 1k, zx10r, r1, CBR 1k and for the money the busa was the most reasonably priced for they type of bike and performance capability. The s1000rr was the most at like $4500/year, so it was out. I’ve always been partial to the Gen 1 busa body style and always wanted a Gen 1 and the ‘06 I ended up getting already had some cool parts hanging on it so I scooped it up. I always do full coverage which is more expensive, but I’ve known some folks who kept the cheap route on insurance and it cost them more in the end after accidents or thefts, so I’ll pay the bit extra in premiums.

Back