A Word to the wise.

Kerbie:

My dealer says this is NOT a recall, but just a service bulletin.  What's up?  How can I prove to them that it is a recall?  Thanks dude!  
rock.gif
You can't because it isn't a recall.

I just talked to my dealer, my 02 starter is clunking too. I have to take it in for them to check it out. If they replace it, the dealer has to send the worn parts back to Suzuki for proof that it was needed... No word as to who pays for checking it out...

My 2001 has starter problems as well. This is the second time. It has 2300 miles on it. The main starter shaft gear was chewed up as well as the idler gear. The starter was previously replaced under warranty but nothing else. The result is the starter getting chewed up. My buddy also has a 2001 with 1900 miles on it and it just started to slip the starter sprague clutch occasionally. It spins then occasionally grabs.

Hi All, I'm new to the group.A former 34 year mechanic/service manager for local Suzuki dealer-now with a independent shop of my own. There is (as of this date)no recall on the busa starter clutches. The problem seems to occur under certain conditions,(1)high heat-low battery charge;(2)poor quaility gasoline;(3) opening of the throttle while starting the engine;and (4)high compression(above 11:1)and/or big bore pistons.Suzuki Service Bulletin GS/GSX/GSX-R No.126 dated 12-10-02 shows the Interchange Info between the 03 and earlier models.The 03 starter clutches are not interchangeable with earlier models,but the rest of the starter parts are,if you want to buy a 03 starter motor,03 starter idle gear limiter,03 limiter pin,03 starter clutch cover,cap and gasket.I have built 7 - 1397cc;13:1 CR;.395/.378 cam and bored throttle body(48mm)engines to date.Each is using the stock starter motor and starter clutch.Starter mods include the heavy duty starter gear(APE) and GSTX12-BS battery with AWG 4 wiring from battery to starter relay to starter motor and AWG 4 cable from engine ground(at the starter motor) to the battery negative terminal. The stock wiring is IMHO to small to give full amps to the starter motor in high engine heat conditions,which cause the engine to spin over to slowly and invites the kick-back that causes the starter damage.Stock engines benefit from the wiring change and larger battery.Also,not opening the throttle when trying to start the engine in high engine heat coditions(stock or modified)greatly reduces/eliminates the chance of engine/starter kick-back .Suzuki will warranty any starter problem,if the bike is still under warranty and the dealer can verify the problem.If the bike is just out of warranty,a good customer atitude and a caring service manager can get Suzuki to "Good Will" warranty the problem.Calling Suzuki directly and complaining loudly does nothing to help your problem and can in fact slow the process as that gets others in to the loop which slows down/stops the process.Go to your dealer as Suzuki prefers it this way.If your dealer is crap,find one who cares,they are out there. I hope this can help. Louis..

In my last post,I talked about using the Suzuki bulletin to replace the 1999-2002 starter parts with the 2003 parts.These are the part numbers:use p/n 12600-24F00 Limiter,starter idle gear to replace the earlier Gear,starter idle No.1.P/N 12615-24F00 pin to replace the earlier pin.The ealier idler gear bearing,2 flat washers and the wave washer are not used.P/N 31100-24F10 is the new starter motor needed to engage the limiter gear.P/N 11380-24F20 is the new Cover,starter clutch and is larger . P/N 11382-24F20 is the newer cap,starter idle gear.P/N 11491-24F01 is the newer Gasket,starter cover.P/N's 11492-24F00 Gasket;09280-33004 O-Ring; and 09166-16002 Gasket are all the same parts used from the earlier models.If your starter clutch is bad,use the new part 12600-24840 and do not install the K3 style starter clutch in a earlier model busa. Louis..

Hi all,

My starter just cratered yesterday, taking the idler with it, a costly exercise so ppls with older busa, I recommend a trip to a dealership to turn over a low miles engine, you might surprise yourself how accustomed to rattles and clunks (cry for help before the Harakiri)

My question then is; Having seen the bined pieces I could not help but wonder how many pieces of metal are now swimming around in the engine. has anyone had bad experience after a starter motor grenading itself?

if the starter cost $400 i'd hate to see what the engine would cost to rebuild!

Ed

hey guyz...im new to the group and kinda new to riding...I just get 2000 hayabusa with 19500 miles on it and taking it for service. Any tips?
thanks lot :)

I posted the following information under "Starter Clutch Failure" and there was no response. Have a look, maybe someone has some additional information:

I am writing from Cyprus. I am the official Suzuki mechanic for the area of Limassol. I am
MOTO-TASSOS (6 Larnakis street, 3021 Limassol, Cyprus)
Telephone: +357 25 33 80 25
Telefax: +357 25 33 74 79

The following bike came in
Chassis number JS1A1111200-113554
Engine number W701-143409
2002 model

800 km on the clock. Clutch-starter problems. The dealers advised that we change it, under warranty. We did.

1200 km on the clock. The bike came in again, same problem. The dealers advised we fit the "2003" kit. Before fitting the kit, I measured the crankshaft.
Permissible runout per Suzuki, 0.05 mm
Runout as I found it, 0.50 mm

I refused to fit the kit, because the bike would have the same problem again. The dealers claimed they contacted the factory, who said we should proceed and fit the kit, and that 0.50 mm runout was permissible.

In my (very long) experience with engines, a 0.50 mm runout on the crankshaft is NOT permissible. The dealers refuse to bring me in direct contact with the factory.

The bike is in my workshop for ANYONE to inspect. I have photos and engineers' testimonials about the crankshaft.

Please, tell your dealer: measure the crankshaft!!!

THANK YOU!!!

Just a quick post as I need to get to the dealer this AM. This starter problem is alive and well on ALL 2002 Busas. I bought this bike 1 month ago and still haven't seen the rpm above 6000 yet.The bike had 700 miles when I got her and 900 now...babied. The clunk sound and a tow to the dealer and the starter hsg and case have big chunks out. The dealer was going to use extended warranty but I "reminded" them of the recall so they are going thru Suzuki. Unknown what parts exactly but will post at a later date. It's not a matter of if,it's a matter of when according to dealer mechanic"off the record". I'm heartbroken because I know it's going to take forever with backorders and the like.Gotta go!

I have a 2000 with a lot of motor mods. My compression is about 12:1.

I haven't had any starter problems yet, should I do/change something before things go boom??? Any help would be appreciated.

Just a quick post as I need to get to the dealer this AM. This starter problem is alive and well on ALL 2002 Busas. I bought this bike 1 month ago and still haven't seen the rpm above 6000 yet.The bike had 700 miles when I got her and 900 now...babied. The clunk sound and a tow to the dealer and the starter hsg and case have big chunks out. The dealer was going to use extended warranty but I "reminded" them of the recall so they are going thru Suzuki. Unknown what parts exactly but will post at a later date. It's not a matter of if,it's a matter of when according to dealer mechanic"off the record". I'm heartbroken because I know it's going to take forever with backorders and the like.Gotta go!
i know how you are feeling mate, i have been told 7 weeks at mo but have since been told it could be 12-15 weeks this is for starter clutch probs amounst others. my bike is out of warranty but still suzuki are standing all costs. which i thought was damn good of them as they could have said no.

chin up let me know how you get on

Thanks for the support guys...sure appreciate it. I went to the dealer today and all but two parts are in. The only problem was my bike was out in the rain, a real toad strangler. The service mgr said "he'd see what he could do to put it inside". I probably would have said something else but wasn't in the mood to get all pissed off and move the bike to another dealer 25 miles further away! It's not the water of course, it's the principle as last Friday I asked him to keep it inside which he blew off. Getting back to the Clutch, I marked the old cover and confirmed with parts that a newer bigger cover was ordered and rxd. So, for the moment everything is going as planned one week after failure. Later!

just been told all my parts will be in on friday, but due to backlog of work i still wont get bike until 17, 18, or 19th of nov, still that is a lot better than 7 to 15 weeks. the workshop has done its best for me and i cant ask for more than that. :) :) :)

Lauduatte, glad to hear you are getting parts sorted mate, luckily i am going on a cruise soon so when i get back bike should be done.

I have to say I was on edge when my S.C. failed... Well Failed is putting it lightly. The Thing Fragmented Like a Genade. It took the Lower engine Case and outer covers with it. Was the nastiest thing I have ever heard. Its a 2001 and out of Warranty. I took it to the dealer and I was on a 1 month waiting list just to take a look at it. Needless to say I spoke to the The Manager at the Dealership and Suzuki home office in California.. and Suzuki Said they would "GOOD WILL" all the upgraded parts for me. Thats Better than I thought I would ever get. :D

i got my 02 and it has almost 13000 on it and nothing YET i should get off my ass and do the upgrade b4 i HAVE to do it with added costs.. how hard is it to change to the heavy duty gear?

Ohay yoiu guys have made me extememly nervous. How do i check to see what starter i have? Also can i put the thing in myself.

Back