A very pertinent question about Stonehenge (swingarm nuts)

Kevin Jones

Registered
This is my first swingarm that has nuts on each side of the axle bolt. I guess just torque each nut to spec while holding the other side in place? Or just do one while holding the other side in place? This should be something intuitive but the consequences seem like I should ask someone first. Its a DME aluminum. Brahma nuts on either side of the axle.

Subscribed. Thanks for asking this question as I am in the same boat. I asked the guy when I bought my arm the size of the socket (1-1/2) and if I would need 2 of them and he said NO just 1.

I am just guessing but I would think if you torque one side it would take care of the other. I would just check to see what the other side is after twerking one side to spec.

Interesting. Mine has one and axle is threaded on both ends. If nobody answers, I would figure that in actuality it may be that if I torque them both to the factory spec and the wheel turns fine than I am golden. If I torque 1 side and hold the other, I may be golden too but I will make sure it has significant threads.

swing1.jpg

swing2.jpg

I can see people keeping SWB with 200+ horse but a few trips to the track and they will see, its just not a good thing.

Hey man for mine its only like 50 something pounds of torque, not the factory 72.5 or whatever. I specifically asked the manufacturer their recommendation. I suggest you do the same. Gotta think its longer so the whole leverage thing

Here are a couple questions I asked

1) What size are the rear axle nuts?

2) Will I need two sockets for the rear axle or will I be able to fasten and torque both sides with the one socket. (I need to buy this socket since the stock 36mm doesnt fit).

3) What is your recommended torque on these, stock 72.5?

4) I have the castle nut tool for the pivot shaft and the 36mm for the other side; will I also need the giant allen key for the castle nut side?

5) Stock torque on pivot shaft?

Here is the response,,,

nut size is 1 1/2 inches
torque is 57 ft lbs

one socket should be fine

yes, you will need an allen for the pivot shaft.

stock torque on pivot shaft.

I forgot to ask them about the pivot shaft. I torqued all that to stock. Hmm. Lets see what the wheel feels like when I torque to stock. If its to tight I will be able to tell. If it is, I will back it off to what they told you.

I am going to go with 57 ft lbs on one side. Got chain on this morning at crack of dawn but didnt have time before work to fully adjust it. Still waiting to get that chain guard too (and hugger) which is coming today with that longer brake cable. Now is when I wish I had the adjustable lowering links so that I could do some launching and see what level I can put at before the hugger smacks what is left of the undertail. Until then, I put the stock dogbones on there. I called DME and sent pics and was told that my swingarm is actually a velocity swingarm which I didn't know they made swingarms. Try as a may, I cannot find a number to call velocity and ask. I don't know if the company went under or what but some vendors still sell the turbo kits but I will continue to google.

No im fairly positive they still sell swingarms. I believe a sponsor or two may be vendors. I might ask powerhouse as I think he runs a velocity arm.

Did the guy you bought it from tell you it was a dme? The cost difference isnt very much I believe but obviously The brand/builder of the arm has an impact on price. Maybe he didnt know what he had or the two companies are linked somehow?

No im fairly positive they still sell swingarms. I believe a sponsor or two may be vendors. I might ask powerhouse as I think he runs a velocity arm.

No, sorry, I don't run Velocity, only McIntosh and Trac . . . :whistle:

I am going to go with 57 ft lbs on one side. Got chain on this morning at crack of dawn but didnt have time before work to fully adjust it. Still waiting to get that chain guard too (and hugger) which is coming today with that longer brake cable. Now is when I wish I had the adjustable lowering links so that I could do some launching and see what level I can put at before the hugger smacks what is left of the undertail. Until then, I put the stock dogbones on there. I called DME and sent pics and was told that my swingarm is actually a velocity swingarm which I didn't know they made swingarms. Try as a may, I cannot find a number to call velocity and ask. I don't know if the company went under or what but some vendors still sell the turbo kits but I will continue to google.

Ooooo,Velocity arm huh?:whistle:
I'll just leave this here....

image (1).jpg

I bought it off of the MPS owner Dan, a build he had going in the back of the shop. He changed his mind and was switching it out to be an outlaw. I don't know if he even knew who built it. I can call and ask Sidney if he remembers. I tried googling the hell out of it and I cant seem to find a velocity swingarm vendor.

This is a pic of the swingarm. Doesn't look like the same model as that one but you have me worried. They (Dan and Sidney) thought it was a DME and they were looking for the chain guard. It looks just like a DME but DME said it is absolutely a velocity.

swing4.jpg

Thanks Rob. I just msg'd him. I am hoping that stretch gives me some relief on those wheelies. That and a heavier spring for the shock. I had no idea how expensive those hi po shocks were.

Back