rear wheel axle nut

samw5

Registered
wondering how much force is required to loosen the real wheel axle nut.

been trying with my older torque wrench but this thing isn't moving. It's tacking at 140lb.ft on the dial and still won't move.

read that the proper spec was 100ft.lb.

also turning counter clockwise (just making sure).

Yep - Counter-clockwise. TQ spec is 72.5 ft lb. Sounds like someone got it on there pretty tight! Use a long breaker bar...

kk, making sure, i guess i need to get that can of whoop a$$ open!

kids... another reason not to skip breakfast!

Eat your Wheaties
tounge.gif

You should never use a torque wrench to break nuts/bolts lose, you can damage them. They are designed for precision tightening of nuts/bolts.

I also forgot to mention that I am in the same boat, but I think it's because I put a little to much A55 behind it and buggered up the threads. So, I have a new axle here ready to go the next time I take the rear wheel off, which just may be this week if Barber Motorsports works in my favor this coming weekend, track day...

old torque wrench (the non-adjustable type with reading gauge on top)... don't use it for anything else but the fact that it's a 1/2" drive and long enough (figured more leverage).

In any case I'll try with my regular 1/2" and a pipe or something.

I bought a breaker bar for the axle nut... it can be a bugger!

soak it in wd-40 & try an impact if you have access to one. short sharp burst may be easier on the axle than cranking on it with a cheater pipe. I always put anti-seize on them, haven't had any probs yet. good luck.

Never tighten the thing more than 72 lbs torque.... in fact, tighten to 72 and then back off enough to line the holes to put the pin through the holes.
beerchug.gif

Never tighten the thing more than 72 lbs torque.... in fact, tighten to 72 and then back off enough to line the holes to put the pin through the holes.  
beerchug.gif
I did it wrong! I went the other way and tighened it to line up the cotter pin holes... now I have to replace the axle. Not a big deal, just another thing to play with...

Back