A Quiet Helmet

knippie

Registered
I am looking for a good quiet helmet. I currently have an Icon Air Frame, HJC, and the loudest of them all the GMAX Dragon. I would like members input on this topic. I am leaning towards Shoei. Thank you.

I have tried several helmets. i landed on the Joe rocket CF (made by HJC) i like it, it is very lightweight and very quiet. I used to ride with earplugs but no longer need to.

My HJC is a comfortable helmet, but the wind noise drives me insane. I prefer my ICON but again the wind noise is very loud. I am looking for the best of both worlds comfort and quiet!

I have a Shoei X11, best helmet I've ever had on my head :beerchug: I still use in ear headphones for both external noise relief and so I can hear gps/radar/music :beerchug:

Go with the Shoei X-11. In my opinion it is the best bang for the buck. If you shop around you can pick one up for between 350-400 bucks. Good luck in finding what you want.

No matter what helmet you use ear plugs. Ear plugs helps a lot! I have both HJC's cs12s... Scorpion's exo700s.. both are fine. At one time a Shoei rf900. But earplugs made the difference for me!

I think they are all loud if you have the vents open. I have a Shoei RF1100 that is pretty quiet with the vents closed but loud with them open. Ear plugs for me. :thumbsup:

I concur with most of the posts on here as well. Shoei X11 or X12= best venting helmet on the market, bar none. If you want venting, you cant have quiet. Just doesnt work that way.

Also earplugs all the time, especially if youre trying to preserve your hearing. After 18 years of riding, my hearing is still perfect!

I have Shoei RF-900. However, like others said, it doesn't matter what helmet as the quietes one is still too noisy. Gotta use earplugs. I may recommend the blue ones from any drugstore with as much damping as possible. The best I found are the blue ones with 33 db noise reduction. Buy a pack for a few bucks, and that will last you for a long time. I use a pair for a few weeks. There is like a dozen or two in the pack.

The first time I put earplugs in, I was like: "Wow! That is nice and quiet. I can really concentrate on riding, and not having ringing in my ear after the ride."

My Aria Vector is more quiet than my Icon. I believe the shape of our noggins makes the most difference when you see the same helmet being refered by two different people as quiet or loud.

I find all helmets are loud, no matter how much you give away.

Buy a 250 pack of earplugs on ebay and a cheap helmet - they've all got safety standards to meet so why throw money down the drain? ???

My Arai isn't quiet but it's quiet-enough for me to not bother with ear plugs.
And Arai's long oval is the only shape that doesn't put too much pressure on my forehead.
Cons: It's venting is poor, I can hardly tell if they are open or closed.
The adhesives on the lower molding failed early.
The (US) customer service is abominable.

The previous post "I believe the shape of our noggins makes the most difference when you see the same helmet being referred by two different people as quiet or loud" makes a lot of sense.

Also if they helmet is improperly fit and too large, it will be noisier.

The Arai video "How to fit a Helmet" might be worth watching:

How To Fit A Helmet

Back