A problem with my oil pan plug?

I just went down to my local auto parts store and bought an over-sized self tapping plug that comes with a very hard rubber gasket instead of the crush washer on the oem plug. Worked like a charm and the washers are like a dollar for 5 replacements.

No problem, going on 2 years now.

I wouldn't use a helicoil if I had a choice between them and a new pan or a "time sert". "Time serts" are a steel thread insert that comes in a kit with installation tools(drill bit, tap, and install tool). They work extremely well and My father has used them for many years on his bikes. I will try to find a link for you.

Time sert
Which kit would you go with for the busa's drain plug? Did the same thing the first poster did winterizing my bike and was gonna go heli coil fix but pondering this now.

Try one of these and dont have to ever worry about striping again

http://www.quickoildrainvalve.com/

But I did a search a new oil pan with gasket new plug and gasket plug is under 125 hipped from

http://www.babbittsonline.com/

good luck hope i never stirp mine out if i do i would defiantely just buy a new pan.
That quick drain valve looks nice but i'd always be afraid of it getting unlocked in mid ride. Real pity if when parked someone messes with your bike and finds how easy it is to let all your oil drain free with no tools.
wowold.gif

Thanks for that babbitts link though! Great prices!
thumb_up.gif
thumb_up.gif

thumb_up.gif

There is a couple on ebay for around $20 although I would ask the seller specifically about the threads and a new one isn't much more than a $100.
A lot of gear-heads (including myself) at one time or another forget that we just need to tighten a plug, not torque a head bolt  
banghead.gif
, good luck.

You just need to understand what and how the items fix your problem..

Timeserts are normally a full metal jacketed threaded insert that countersinks a bit into the pan or what ever you are fixing.

Helicoils retap the hole with a larger tap and then replace the aluminum threads with a new set of stainless threads

Oversize drain plug, cuts a new set of threads and seats itself (easiest by far) Just requires a gentle touch next time to make sure you do not cross thread the plug back in

On our aluminum block race motors we helicoil any holes that have issues (aluminum just makes a lousy media for tightening things)

If you are looking for the easiest method, then go for the oversize plug (they come in several oversizes)
Timeserts are the most "cosmetic" and is certain a permanent fix
Helicoil are not quite so cosmetic and require a bit more talent to install correctly (having a shop do this is cheap and easy)

Most guys that "fail" with helicoils either did not have the pan off, wrong helicoil or just had no business using them in the first place. They are not magical, just a piece of wound square wire.

Perhaps in your case you might be ahead to use the oversize plug first (saves pulling the pan, header if needed etc)
Do take your time and if you are unsure of what you are doing, enlist the help of someone that had done this before.. (it is not that hard to do)

I wouldn't use a helicoil if I had a choice between them and a new pan or a "time sert". "Time serts" are a steel thread insert that comes in a kit with installation tools(drill bit, tap, and install tool). They work extremely well and My father has used them for many years on his bikes. I will try to find a link for you.

Time sert
Which kit would you go with for the busa's drain plug? Did the same thing the first poster did winterizing my bike and was gonna go heli coil fix but pondering this now.
I tried to go to Ron Ayers to use the microfiche to look for the plug size but was unable to get to the site. However, if you find out the size then go to the time sert site and look through their Metric list of kits. I'm sure if it's not there you can email them and ask if they do have a kit.

Sounds like onedowmfiveup is offering you his oil pan. That would definately be the best way to go. Just my 2 cents.

The biggest prob with heil coils or nutserts is they do not get installed correctly if they are not put in strait it will leak, this also applys to oversize self tapping plugs, if you get the pan off you can put it on a drill press to get the hole strait before tapping

Same thing happened to me last summer ... safe to say it was not fun when my oil decided to spill everywhere while going 100 km/h ... when the back tire started slipping & sliding, my heart sunk ... lucky i was able to control it & come to a stop ... i did the temp fix, but it still had the slow leak ... for safety reasons & after reading your suggestions, I think I 'll be replacing the pan before riding season begins this year ...

biggest problem with fixing the pan is the fact it is made of junk pot metal that if it was any good, there wouldn't be so many stripped pans out there. Oversized plugs/bolts have shown a higher success rate than helicoils because the steel just eats the material from usage stress, vibrations etc etc etc.

pans aren't expensive, do it right and replace the pan.

biggest problem with fixing the pan is the fact it is made of junk pot metal that if it was any good, there wouldn't be so many stripped pans out there. Oversized plugs/bolts have shown a higher success rate than helicoils because the steel just eats the material from usage stress, vibrations etc etc etc.

pans aren't expensive, do it right and replace the pan.
thumb_up.gif

r8

Over the years I've actually taken "new" parts, drilled them out, and helicoiled them. Good SH!D, if you ask me. In this case. Clear the part off of the engine, helicoil, or replace. You've already got a couple offers here, "good on ya Board"
thumb_up.gif
, and either way you'll be back to motoring in no time. Just don't do something "real dumb" like wrap the drain plug 600 times in teflon tape and expect it to hold.....mmmkay
rock.gif
?.......no aluminum foil either...you wouldn't believe some of things I've come acrossed....
coolold.gif

Heehee yes i do (as well as my SUBFRAME BRACES GIXX
please.gif
winkold.gif
) . suzuki4life offered up a pan beforehand though and i jumped on it and i don't want to be a jerk jumping ship for a lower price so i'll stay loyal and grab 4life's after he makes sure it's in good condition. It's all about Riders helping fellow riders out.
thumb_up.gif

Heehee yes i do (as well as my SUBFRAME BRACES GIXX
please.gif
winkold.gif
) . suzuki4life offered up a pan beforehand though and i jumped on it and i don't want to be a jerk jumping ship for a lower price so i'll stay loyal and grab 4life's after he makes sure it's in good condition.  It's all about Riders helping fellow riders out.
thumb_up.gif
thumb_up.gif

thumb_up.gif

i think i will go with the coil, i don't want to have to buy a new pan, and tap it for the turbo fittings! Thanks guys!

bowdown.gif

Back