A NEWBIE EXPERIENCE:2000 miles later

:thumbsup: You seem to have the right attitude. That thing about the rear brake however doesn't sound right. Leave that rear alone. I still have stock rear pads on my '01. I scrub them once in a while to make sure they don't rust and still operational.

Ride like you are invisible. Do that 4 second thing they teach you MSF classes. Give yourself a 4 second window down the road. In intersections and drivers trying to enter on my right side I do a little weave within the lane and hit the high beam flasher multiple times to make sure he signals me. I also installed a very loud Stebel Nautilus horn and my finger is on it when my 4 second window is impinged upon. Also, dark helmets, dark bikes, and dark jackets are the hardest for cagers to pick out in the background. Safety studies say that light color helmets and lime green jackets are the quickest to be picked out in the background. It is a jungle out there. I also don't agree with guys who say don't use the rear brake in an emergency situation. The physics of the emergency stop would state three rotors being squeezed will stop a heavy bike like a Busa quicker than just the two front rotors. If you start to lock it up..either front, back, or both...release pressure and reapply...the main thing is not to grab at the brakes but to quickly squeeze. I think many guys have different opinions on this...and may say so. But think about it...2 versus 3. I know that somewhere I read that it is better to stay on the bike and brake it hard all the way to impact and you have a better chance of survival then getting off and sliding with no brakes to slow you down...I am glad you didn't suffer a collision..and you have the right to be angry when someone just imperiled your life...2hip

:cool:
Ride like you are invisible. Do that 4 second thing they teach you MSF classes. Give yourself a 4 second window down the road. In intersections and drivers trying to enter on my right side I do a little weave within the lane and hit the high beam flasher multiple times to make sure he signals me. I also installed a very loud Stebel Nautilus horn and my finger is on it when my 4 second window is impinged upon. Also, dark helmets, dark bikes, and dark jackets are the hardest for cagers to pick out in the background. Safety studies say that light color helmets and lime green jackets are the quickest to be picked out in the background. It is a jungle out there. I also don't agree with guys who say don't use the rear brake in an emergency situation. The physics of the emergency stop would state three rotors being squeezed will stop a heavy bike like a Busa quicker than just the two front rotors. If you start to lock it up..either front, back, or both...release pressure and reapply...the main thing is not to grab at the brakes but to quickly squeeze. I think many guys have different opinions on this...and may say so. But think about it...2 versus 3. I know that somewhere I read that it is better to stay on the bike and brake it hard all the way to impact and you have a better chance of survival then getting off and sliding with no brakes to slow you down...I am glad you didn't suffer a collision..and you have the right to be angry when someone just imperiled your life...2hip

Thanks for the advice 2hip. I actually have a good orange reflective vest but I haven't worn it in a while. I have vowed to always have it on for night rides from now on. As for helmets I have two GMAX with the blinking red lights in the rear for night time visibility. One is red and white and the other is the black matte pictured on my original post. Despite being less visible at night, my fav is the black one:cool:.

I always wonder if flashing the headlights will send the wrong message to a driver that I am giving him/her way to go ahead infron of me???

As for the front brake only vs both brakes discussions, I am so confused by all the opinions it makes me dizzy. Both is what I was taught as well and I always use both. I wonder if I only had used front brake only, would I have been able to slow to 2feet away from the fender or would I have collided with the car because of more braking distant needed???

Back