Update 2 years later

Mike56James

Registered
About 2 years ago i was new to the org and new to the motorcycle world all together. I went out and brought a busa as my first bike ever. Came to the org for advice and i must say it was the best thing i could have done (other then buy the bike it self :laugh: ) I read the comments from every one who replied and i took Four major things away from it. 1. Take My Time dont rush.
2. Ride with your brain never let pride get behind the handlebars. 3. learn and master my skill. 4.no matter where your from or who you are the org is a family. With that in mind i took two MSF classes and found a nice big empty parking lot close to my house... Oh and invested in some frame sliders "THANKS DAVE". i spent about 2 months in that parking lot riding every day 2 hours after work and about 4to 6 hours a day on the weekend. after that i spent the next 3 months driving around the neighborhood. since i live in Maryland the bike went up for the winter but believe i brought it out any and every chance i got thruout the winter. Year two was when i fell in love with Tiffany(my busa) all over again confident with my skills i started riding to work and really any chance i got. it wasn't untill late july of year two i started riding the highway, took some time getting use to but i got it and now i got about 11,000 miles on her and i love i wanna give a special thanks and shout out to every body who replied to that post Thanks alot. i ride alone most of the time and its no better feeling then pulling up beside some guys on there 750's and 1000's and they all break there necks trying to see what ima do.............. i normally tease them a little bit then go one about my way. I still go to that parking lot just to ride and remind myself to always respect her power so i can continue to enjoy the ride..... Starting to flirt with the idea of doing some track days idk yet if i do you guys will be the first to find out.:thumbsup:

it is soooooooo great to hear that you took what could have been an easy way out and took the path less traveled. now you have experience and respect..glad we can help and hope to ride with you soon.:welcome:

You will love your first track day!
Dont be such a stranger...18 posts in 2 years???
We are family here too, drop by more often.

Glad to see you are doing well. I concur, you will love your first track day. :beerchug:

you probably have more miles in that parking lot than i've been able to ride in the last year

it is soooooooo great to hear that you took what could have been an easy way out and took the path less traveled. Now you have experience and respect..glad we can help and hope to ride with you soon.:welcome:

amen!

Mike, I was scared to death of my Busa when I first got her. Had to take her over two mountain ranges to get her home. Try Hopland Pass and Mt Saint Helena for your first ride on a superbike...yikes...Parked the damn thing and went out and bought a Vstrom 650. Learned how to ride that and slowly started riding the Busa...fell deeply and irreovocably in love.
Mike, if you take a track day or two that is when your confidence will grow in your bike and your skill level will go off of the charts compared to what it is now. It is probably the best day in your life in the motorcyle arena. You learn that big girl can really move and corner. Braking takes some doing to get her down to entry speeds. Make sure you have upgraded your brakes to HH pads and make absolutely sure you have stainless steel braided brake lines. Busa doesn't do well with OEM lines at the track. Way too much fade and can get the fluid almost boiling due to heat dissipation from the rotors. Be careful not to gun the throttle in corner exits or you will feel what a massive squirt of adrenaline feels like and the need to go change your underwear. Also remember to blip your throttle when running at high speeds and dropping into lower gears...or you will hop the rear end and it is not the funniest thing to experience...yes, i'm aware of exactly how it feels. Smooth and easy makes for a fast lap...they have all kinds of instructors who are there specifically to make sure you understand braking, cornering...and such. Swear to heavens...you will love it...

What a nice heart warming story of a man building a relationship with his beloved busa. Congratulations on two years and 11K miles of riding without a getoff.

However, you left out the part of the story about your trip to Cycle Gear and your experience with the little cutie behind the counter who so affectionately helped fit you into your new Dainese leathers, Alpine Star boots & Gloves preparing you for that dreaded first get off! And those stinkin getoffs always seem to come when least expected, damit!

I'm staying tuned to your thread awaiting that heart warming portion Paul Harvey would address as "The Rest of the Story"! :beerchug:

great update, it's always good to hear about another biker learning how to handle his/her machine :beerchug:

Back