A newbie experience-first road trip

KFORCE1

Registered
Hello, I recently got a sweet deal on a blue/black 08 Busa from a dealer in Canton, OH. Bike was $9270 OTD. I live in Maryland so I will had to pay taxes and registration in my state.

So here is my story:

I caught the motorcycle bug sometime last year. I have a few friends ad co-workers who ride and I asked tons of questions to get some knowledge about riding. Well, this past February I took the MSF course and immediately bought a brand new 2007 ZX6R for $5600 from a dealer in Texas. I practiced for a few weeks on a parking lot near my home to get some slow maneuvers and emergency skills before I went to the main roads. I even purchased the Ride like a pro 5 video and practiced the skills taught by the Motorman. Well, that was a good bike but it was lacking in low end torque which seemed dangerous at times getting out of corners and intersection in traffic. I also hated it when cagers would tailgate me during my break in period. The bike could only do 45mph at 4000rpm. At 6'3 my legs were comfy but it had a hard seat and my wrists would be killing me after a short spin. So I started looking online for solutions and modifications to make it a more comfy bike and add more power. I didn't like the fact that it would cost me a few thousands just to customize it to my liking so I started looking at superbikes. I has been visiting this site. Foe a while now and getting alot of info on the hayabusa. I also seriously considered the zx14 but the Busa won me over with it's bold muscular look. So I posted the ZX6R on craigslist and in two days sold it for $6900 with 425miles on it(I wish I bought three...$$$$$). So I decided to wait a while because the Busa is a more expensive bike. Man! I missed riding. It would hurt see other riders out there in fine weather while I was locked in a cage. So I started to look for deals out there and on a search came Harding's Park Cycle in OH with two '08s left going for $8999. I called immediately, put down a deposit and made travel arrangements with greyhound. So this past Thursday I made it to Canton, salesman picked me up from the greyhound station and we made it to the shop where I finished up paperwork and prepared for the long ride back home.

I had carried my tailbag, gmax helmet with Scorpion hat trick jacket and deuce pants. I bought a rain suit at the dealer parts store incase I ran into rain. The bike was a beauty to behold. I was a nervous as I had read in numerous places that the Busa is not for new riders but I had faith and a good head to make sure I was going to be focused to ride safe. I visualized all the things I was taught at the MSF course plus all the weeks of practice I had done to make sure I would be ok. Once I mounted the bike I was surprised at how light it felt. I started it and put it in Cmode. Pulling away in first gear felt so easy and the bike was so smooth and planted to the road. I was amazed! Such comfort, power(even in Cmode), and confidence inspiring handling just blew me away. Well 8 hours later I made it home to Maryland. I took rest stops whenever I felt I needed to. I got caught in heavy rain two times along the way but my rain suit and gear kept me dry and comfy. The tires were broken in too by that time so I just slowed down and kept riding. I found out riding inthe rain is not that bad as long as one has the proper gear. My Fieldsheer tail bag rain cover blew off somewhere along the trip but it still kept the contents completely dry. All the bike papers and seat cowl was in there. I was exhausted when I got home but I still had a huge smile and thanked God for making it safe.

Yesterday I gave the bike a good wash butni still need to clean the rear wheel which has some nasty grease from all the wet riding. Noticed some rusting too on the lever tabs.

All I can say is wow! What a superb bike. All the practice I did definetely helped. I am happy with my purchase and look forward to years of safe riding. A great birthday gift to myself as today is my birthday.

Pics from the trip coming soon.
Posted via Mobile Device

:welcome: and wow what a story!!! Glad you are on board. :beerchug: Happy Birthday

Last edited:
happy b-day. you said you got an 08 blue/black.....is there gold too?

yeah gotta see the pics :)

Here we go..The bike had the sale sticker all the way home. I removed all the warning stickers before the wash yesterday. I hope to add some two brothers dual slip ons after the break in. The stock pipes are too quiet. Its amazing how smooth the motor is compared to the zx6r I had.

The whole trip was about 340miles.

Sorry about the typo errors in the previous post. I dit it from my iphone.

Busa1OH.jpg

Busa2OH.jpg

busasidei76.jpg

i76busa.jpg

If it was Orange it would have been the perfect story :laugh:..but it was damn close :thumbsup:

Thanks for posting this and grats to ya. I am sure there will be more many.

Post them pics!

I need to stop coming here. I'm getting too jealous. >_< Next season is so far away. :colgate:

Grats, man. :welcome:

Thats a great story, and welcome to the oRg! It always rains on the first day. :beerchug:

I am out riding right now. Took the bike to the same parking lot and did some practice for about 15mins. Now Im taking a break at White Flint Mall in Rockville, MD after a good ride on 495. I got a lot of respect for the beast within. A lady rider tried to get me to race her on 495 but I just let her pass. No racing or crazy stunts here.

Last edited:
Am I the only one wondering how you found a new zx-6r for 5600 in Texas????? Nice looking Bike :thumbsup: and Welcome:welcome:!!!!!!!!

Am I the only one wondering how you found a new zx-6r for 5600 in Texas????? Nice looking Bike :thumbsup: and Welcome:welcome:!!!!!!!!

Yep! From Kawasaki Laredo on their eBay store. Check out laredokawasaki1861 on eBay. They sold out on the zx6rs back in Feb. Last I checked they had some cruisers and brand new 2007 zx10rs for $7300.
Posted via Mobile Device

That's a really great story with an excellent outcome. I really dig the gold rims on that color scheme. I'm really bored of the plain black rims on my bike, but keeping the gold ones clean might be a huge chore. Nevertheless, your bike is awesome and you had a very cool story to go along with it. Congratulations man.

Awesome story and sweet lookin' ride. :thumbsup:

Just stay patient and safe, and your newfound steed will grow on you even more. :thumbsup:

D

:welcome: and congrats. What a great story. By the way, where in MD are you?

Back