Odd Shifting Experience

mines-a-busa

Registered
Well, Im not sure if its anything that hasn't been brought up but I just got back from a ride and had my bike shift quit oddly. I was somewhat getting on it out of a stop and shifted to second gear. I know What your thinking "Got on it in second and it slipped out" Well no. Second was just fine. I came to another stop and was still in second. I pulled in the clutch and started to brake. Then i downshifted and it SLAMMED! into first. I was going a reasonable speed for first. It slammed so hard that it shook me. Im wandering if this could be the cause of second gear problems and bent forks. Idk. Im not very in tune when it comes to how motorcycle trannys work, but man that didn't soon good
rock.gif

Thanks in advance for trying to decipher my lousy typing
sadnews.gif

Take a look at the gear ratios below.

When you consider that first gear spins over two and a half times to one spin of the mainshaft,
it's wise to have the bike friggin' near stopped before pulling in the clutch, and knocking it into gear.
Most times you'll be fine, but it's very fine line.

Also, if it's been a couple years since you've changed and bled the hydraulic clutch line, it might be a good time.

Transmission Gear Teeth (Ratios):
6th 24/23 (1.043:1)
5th 25/22 (1.136:1)
4th 27/21 (1.285:1)
3rd 29/19 (1.526:1)
2nd 31/16 (1.937:1)
1st 34/13 (2.615:1)

When you consider that first gear spins over two and a half times to one spin of the mainshaft,
it's wise to have the bike friggin' near stopped before pulling in the clutch, and knocking it into gear.

Also, if it's been a couple years since you've changed and bled the hydraulic clutch line, it might be a good time.

6th                                   24/23 (1.043:1)
        5th                                   25/22 (1.136:1)
        4th                                   27/21 (1.285:1)
        3rd                                  29/19 (1.526:1)
        2nd                                 31/16 (1.937:1)
        1st                                  34/13 (2.615:1)
Bob is right.

6th                                   24/23 (1.043:1)
        5th                                   25/22 (1.136:1)
        4th                                   27/21 (1.285:1)
        3rd                                  29/19 (1.526:1)
        2nd                                 31/16 (1.937:1)
        1st                                  34/13 (2.615:1)
Bob is right.
bob is always right....

tounge.gif

cheers
ken

Back