RPM when shifting into 2nd?

you just have to keep your weight over the front end and roll on the throttle, not just slam it open. The front may still come up a bit but if youve got your weight in the right place, it'll just stay a couple inches off the ground, not come all the way up.

It is an acquired skill, one I have yet to acquire. Seen my boys do it though. Their bikes are slammed and stretched.
is all weight and balance... standing forward on the pegs and getting your belly on the tank and loaded wrists will work wonders..

practice practice.. Start with a full take of fuel too... that 35lbs can make a big difference..

my bike is stock wheel base i rev to about 4,500 rpm let the clutch out till it starts to grab then roll on the throttle e=while slipping out the clutch . make sure you are tucked when you do this or you will go over. then i twist it till it stops at right about 8 k the front starts to climb it usually gets about a foot of the ground then wait till it hits the limiter and hit second then it comes up again briefly and then gone . i like to ride in first gear at about 50 mph and pin the throttle it yanks the front tire like a foot and is gone like a rocket all the guys i know ridding the 1,000 bikes cant hang when you do that because thell loop it Ive seen it happen when guys try to race me

its not about shifting where it stops making power, the idea is to shift while its STILL making power, but at a point where you fall into the right spot in second gear where power has started to build. Like I was saying, theres a calculater for figuring out where to shift in each gear based on gear ratio, power and torque curve and the optimum rpm will be slightly different in each gear but if you average them all together to just pick a safe rpm to remember for a stock 1st gen with no mods the magic number is 10300:thumbsup:

Thats all good and well but as I was saying every bike is different depending on what one does or does not do to their bike. MY bike at the time had full hmf exhaust, air filter, air box mod and so on. The more air an engine flows over stock farther its gonna build power in rpms. I would start shifting at 10,5-600 rpms and by the time my body reacted it would be on the money. Out of the hundreds of passes I've made this was the fastest in MY situation.

Thanks all. The picture is much clearer now from your advise. I know what to pratice now and find out what works best for me and my bike setup.

Thanks again.
Brad

Back