Harley review 1,300 miles later

jellyrug

Donating Member
Registered
Just did the first service myself this week-end, around 1,300 miles, all two up and 200 miles were in pouring rain.

No issues, the belt did not even need adjustement, real easy to service. Takes three different oils in three different holes.

It's very different but fun to ride. Over here there is a LEO on each corner and riding around or close to town, between 35 and 55 on a Busa is no fun. Harley with half lids and taking in the fresh air while talking with wifey riding two up is a nice experience.

Getting back on the Busa makes one realize though what perfection is all about.

If I could only have one bike, it will always be a Busa, but I can see the miles on the Harley run up much sooner, lots of space for luggage two up, and fun to just plod along.

The only two things Harley did better are really good working self cancelling turn signals and the kick stand which locks solid once it takes the bikes weight,

No comparison though, two totally different bikes with totally different purposes.

The one place where the Harley wins by a long shot, is that somehow the LEO's are much less interested in getting my autograph.:laugh:

PICT0042_edited-1.jpg

Please get rid of the half shell helmets and at least use a 3/4. Half shells are worthless in a crash. For your own safety. The first time the head hits the ground, the half helmet will move and the second impact will cause major skull damage. I have seen it happen. It is not worth the risk.

Please get rid of the half shell helmets and at least use a 3/4. Half shells are worthless in a crash. For your own safety. The first time the head hits the ground, the half helmet will move and the second impact will cause major skull damage. I have seen it happen. It is not worth the risk.

I couldn't imagine riding with anything less then a full face. The face is the part I would want to protect the most. Not much to scrap off with road rash and hell of a lot harder to hide the scars afterward. If you going to protect you head,might as well do it right.

I couldn't imagine riding with anything less then a full face. The face is the part I would want to protect the most. Not much to scrap off with road rash and hell of a lot harder to hide the scars afterward. If you going to protect you head,might as well do it right.

Their both right . I've seen half shells peel back on folks heads and rest on the backside of their neck as they bounce and hit again on their bare head.
Don't change your habits cuz you change your bike .
Would you wear a half shell on your Busa ?
Probably not so why is the Harley any 'safer' ?
Same street same asphalt same hardness .

I had no real issues with the Harley, it was fun to ride but I missed the sport style riding too much and since I am moving my office to another state, the boss said only two bikes, so the harley had to go for another busa. Only on rare occasions though did we ride with half lids, feel more secure with my full face. Rode it for one full year, and no problems at all, just did not handle right or feel right for me.

I hit a truck in 1998 that blew a stop sign I hit it face first in the door.. no helmet most likley would of died! half shell my face ripped apart! full face bad brusises

We use the 1/2, for around town, up to 45mph., 3/4 for around the country and full face long distance.

Good advice Steve, but I have been racing bicycles most of my life, crashing at least 4 times a season, always losing a bit of skin, nothing else. If I fall off a Harley at 45 mph and hurst myself, it's time to retire and stop riding bikes. I can run next to the thing at that speed.:laugh:

Nanny State is strong around here...

I always wear a full face on the Busa and will on my new-to-me FXST, but I put on a novelty helmet to ride the back streets 1 1/2 miles to work at 25 -- 30 mph. An FWIW, I see kids on 600s in flip flops and shorts all the time and guys on sports bikes riding just plain stupidly on Sunday mornings...

Glad you are having fun with it Wil....thats what its all about.:thumbsup:

I could use those canceling signals at times:laugh:

Back