A new track rider's 'education' begins..

skydivr

Jumps from perfectly good Airplanes
Donating Member
Posted from another forum, from a new track rider. Thought it was mind opening for some of you who haven't tried a trackday yet....

This guy talked a pretty big talk before his first weekend - and promptly crashed at the end of the last session. He's starting to 'get it'...

---------------------------------------------------------------
I am sure this will not sit well with all the riders out there but I just want to state what I have found to be the best reasons to track ride over street ride.

This past weekend it all became clear to me why my street rides have not been as fulfilling as I remembered them in all the past years and my visits to the track have become more than just an added expense. You see I am not your average rider, I have a lot of trouble just going out for what some would call a Sunday Ride. When I throw a leg over my bike I become one with a machine that I control, and I like to test my limits as well as the machine I am riding.

I remember a time when my buddies and I would laugh at track riders that rode on the street because we were faster than they were and just could not understand why someone would spend so much money on riding at the track to be so slow. You see I now understand that they are not necessarily slower than me because they cannot ride as fast as me. THEY SEE ALL THE DANGERS THAT I HAVE BEEN IGNORING FOR YEARS!!

I had a buddy tell me last year after my first track day that he only needed to spend more time on the track to hang in with the FAST guys on the street. I explained that this simply was not totally true. While track riding allows you push the envelope of you and your bikes ability it does not asks you to throw ALL caution to the wind like being a fast street rider does. I know that sounds careless and a lot of FAST riders will tell you that they are in control, but I will argue that there are just to many things involved with street riding that you have zero control of like other drivers going the opposite direction being the biggest one as well as cars that dominate the surface you are riding on.

There simply are more things that get in the way of being as fast on the street. cars, deer, dog, cat, stopped vehicle, farming equipment, cops ect. So what I am saying is the only ways to be fast on the street is to ignore all the above or convince yourself that you are capable of dealing with any and all possible scenarios presented above. Track riding is different in that it requires you to perfect your craft almost to a point that most riders will consider it a job rather than enjoyable. The riders speed, corner entry speed, turn in point, corner exit, braking points and acceleration coupled with achieving all this as smoothly as possible is what makes him fast and SAFE. Anyone can go out there and lay down a reckless FAST LAP, but doing it in a safe and controlled manner takes thought and requires you to be able to repeat the same action every lap, at the same reference points ect. While translating this to the street can be done, it just does not cross over as well since every turn is different and conditions change every second to unknowns.

Safety is paramount at the track. It is not left totally up to the rider to make sure that their bike is in a satisfactory condition to be pushed to speeds well past considered safe on the street. A minimum standard has been set for rider gear to help protect the rider in the event of a crash ( NO NOVELTY BRAIN BUCKETS HERE ). You will not see some brainless teenager on the track in flip flops, no shirt and shorts just because it is hot outside. NO EXCUSES like I just cannot afford the proper riding gear. Without proper gear and you do not ride plain and simple.
Unlike on the street everyone is going the same direction, and you have the WHOLE RACE SURFACE at your disposable, not just the 10 feet on your side of the road :-) the only way I can think of a head on collision happening is if someone spins out in front of you and you hit them. Everyone signs the same waiver which basically says you understand the risks involved and do not hold anyone else or the organization liable for any accidents that you or others may cause. And if you are riding like a BONEHEAD you can be sure that you will be ejected from the event. When was the last time you got a waiver from some person in a car that they understand the risks involved with you using the roadway as your personal race track. No matter what you think, you are not the only person taking the risk on the street when you ride at speeds intended for a track you take a chance of you or your bike becoming a weapon against innocent people. If you loose control you could kill someone as well as yourself.

At the track the unexpected is not so unexpected. Unlike on the street where most turns are a blind crap shoot the track offers the benefits of corner workers. Is there something on the road surface that might create a problem for you?? They help identify these things, whether it be an animal that has wondered on to the track or a piece of equipment that has fallen off another riders bike or possibly a rider and machine on the track that may be in your path. When was the last time you saw some person on the side of the road identifying a dangerous situation that you are approaching at breakneck speeds. The corner workers also have a duty of making sure that the rules of the track are being followed. If by chance they see someone taking risks that could endanger other riders they have the power to remove you from the track surface. There may have been a crash on the track and they need to get emergency services to a rider they would display a red flag effectively ending the session till the rider and bike can be removed.

Coaching and mentoring is also an added perk to track riding. Just because you think you are doing everything right does not mean you are. These coaches will keep you humble and I am thankful for that. So if you like to ride fast or just want to experience what these sport bikes are all about you need to get out on the track where you do not have to worry about loosing your license. Plus, should the worst happen you are only a mile or so from medical attention and the best family you will ever find short of your own flesh and blood.

This is an awsome story. I have been wanting to attend a track day for some time. This has me wanting to attend even more.

Track time will make every rider faster, more confident, better bike control and most of all "Safer"! I urge everyone to attend at least two track events every season. It does make a difference in enjoyment of the sport as well as increasing one's safety margin.

good write up.

I have never been on a track. although I would like to someday.

im not your average Hayabusa rider either. I am a young man, that rides like an old man, on a very fast bike.
maybe it's that I like my family, my home, my life. and that's what keep me slow. :donno:

still...good write up. I always like hearing about riding fast from someone that doesn't wear flip flops when he rides. :thumbsup:

Back