Thoughts on turning as a sport touring rider

fallenarch

THE SLOW RIDER
Registered
This post is about turning a bike as a sport touring rider. I define the sport touring rider as someone who rides roads fast - not crazy, but fast.

First of all (at the risk of upsetting our track day experts), racing is about spending as much time accelerating as possible. More specifically it’s about achieving the maximum controllable speed at any given point on the track. Because of this a racer approaches turning differently than the touring rider. Let’s say your bike’s power band is between 8K and 12K rpm. The racer goes into the turn geared so when they begin rolling on the power they are well into that 8K to 12K sweet spot. It’s a little more complicated than that but that’s generally the scoop. Two big reasons the racer can reduce cornering to good lines and throttle is because they assume A) the track surface is usually dependable and consistent; and B) they know what’s around the next turn.

If you have ever tried to keep up with a good sport touring (ST) rider you will notice that they never seem to be going fast. But as each mile passes they get a little bigger gap on you. That’s because where racers try to go as fast as possible on any given part of the track, experienced ST riders carry speed and conserve their momentum. As an ST rider approaches a turn, they A) take the longest, smoothest line possible around the corner and B) they set the gearing so that they are only using the engine to replace speed scrubbed off in the process of turning the bike.

There are a couple reasons the ST rider rides this way. First, you don’t always know what is ahead of you so getting around a given corner as fast as that corner can be taken is less important than the average speed on a given route. Since taking every corner at maximum speed increases the danger from road conditions (water, ice, gravel, deer, etc.), other traffic, or other unexpected obstacles; the ST rider concedes absolute speed to a safe speed maintained over a long period of time. Second, trying to leap out of a corner is best done under the controlled environment of a track as it greatly increases the chance of a high side.

So, coming into the turn the ST rider moves to the outside of the road (right side). They then analyze the corner for surface condition, obstacles, and visibility. If hard braking is necessary, it is always done with the bike upright so the contact patch is largest (unlike the racer who is almost always on the edge of traction, the ST rider is always well under maximum traction). In your mind think of the point where you plan to begin the arch into the corner (lean) – your braking should be done by this point (remember, you don’t have braking points marked like on a track). Now the bike is rolled into the turn early and the bike is pointed to the inside of the turn (left side). As soon as braking is done, you also begin rolling on power to keep the drive train tight and smooth (called maintenance power). Gearing is selected to keep the bike in the power band but not into the aggressive area of the power. As an example, where a racer might take a turn in 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] gear, the ST rider might be in 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] or even 4[SUP]th[/SUP] gear. This is because it takes very little power to maintain speed if you do it properly. As you exit the turn you head to the outside (right side) of the road. If all that sounds confusing here is a simpler version:

1. Your line is inside outside.
  2. Run higher in the gears than when you are showing off to the buddies. Be smooth on the throttle.
  3. Brake early, the price of over shooting a turn are huge.
  4. Always turn a 60-70% of maximum. Save some traction for the unexpected.

There are a couple of other things to note when fast touring.

• One thing is that once a bike is in a lean it can be controlled with the throttle – more throttle the bike goes wide, less throttle and the arch tightens (this we share with racers). This is why a good suspension setup, good tires and proper pressures are so critical.
  • On a hot day the tire pressure can soar. If you run a high pressure on the road to save the tires for the twisties, check the pressure at all gas stops. I was once rolling the interstate with 36 psi in the front to keep the bike off the sides of the tire and save gas. I checked the pressure at a stop and it was 49 psi! Now I always ride with a TPMS (tire pressure monitoring system).
  • If there is an obstacle in the road, stand the bike up to brake, cutting the turn into a series of straight segments.
  • Never trust a road surface that looks suspicious. Take your time if you cannot verify satisfactory road conditions in a turn.
  • Don’t get over confident because you know a road. Real world road conditions change daily. A good ST rider is always vigilant.
  • Finally, if you can’t see the road over a hill ahead, use caution. I generally move to the center of the road to allow the most reaction time if the road goes in either direction. I have learned to read the trees ahead to figure out which way the road will go.

Fast ST riding is super fun even though you rarely go above 80 mph. It takes a lot of strategic thinking on the part of the rider and maintaining this mental chess match in heat and cold for hours at a time is very challenging.

^^ That is how I ride when I get in the mountains, fast enough to have fun, without endangering myself and others. Thanks for the post!

The generic is a set up bike a bit higher than your skill level. It is very easy to go fast speed etc...hitting a track day / drag strip is fun but it is way easier and cheaper to zip around on local roads and in the process build skill and confidence.

I can't watch this enough to catch something new..
Braking Techniques with Kevin Schwantz - YouTube[/url] it is more than going fast ...

not to crash - Best MotoGP? saves of 2013 - YouTube[/url] a brisk ride is almost therapy

Last edited by a moderator:
A lot of those guys are good consistant riders, but the only gap a sport touring rider has put on me mile after mile is the one behind me:laugh:

A street ride should never be classified as a "Fast" ride regardless of the bikes capabilities. Fast is fast and slow is slow, track or street. I like the term "Brisk" when referring to a public road. Brisk means less than 50% of ones ability. Leaving that other 50% margin of safety is what leads to an OLD RIDER!

A rider who has no experience other than public roads should never be compared to a rider with 10 years of track experience. The difference in skill level is extremely wide. When the ST guy is riding through a corner that makes his a$$ so tight you couldn't drive a thumb tack in it with a 3 pound hammer the guy that committed time and effort into raising the bar will be leading at a leisurely pace with one hand on the bars looking back over his shoulder hoping his petrified ST friend doesn't wad it up.

The skills you learn about motorcycle control is all that counts. The upper level of motorcycle control cannot be learned in an uncontrolled environment.

I don't disagree with you Tuff. You say Brisk, I say fast that's symantics. You did miss my point however. I was not comparing a racer to an ST rider to determine who is the better rider. My point was that the St rider has a different mental approach to riding than a racer. There are a lot of dead/injured riders who approached the road like it was a track, which I believe is an undisputable fact.

It's not the race guys that kill themselves on the street. That is a rare occasion but it does happen. It's the guys who don't have the skills to ride fast that kill themselves on the street. I've never met a ST guy who had the skills to go fast. For the most part, it's the guys who don't have the skills to go fast that crash at the track. The fast guys rarely ever crash.

Speed without skill is an accident looking for a place to happen, street or track. If testosterone could be managed motorcycle riding would be a much safer sport!

Ok Tuff, we can agree to disagree. I didn't come back here to get into silly arguments like this one. Hay look at this picture I found!

jorge-lorenzo CRASH.jpg

I'm betting 90% of Team Gixxer would disagree with you. And don't you own a Concours?

Since Team Gixxer got mentioned, I will offer my amateur opinion: Arch: I agree with almost 100% of what you said. The streets shouldn't be ridden like a race track. People's skills are widely varied, so what may seem easy to one isn't easy to the guy that's following him (which is where a lot of people get wadded up). So 'difficulty' is a moving target. The key is "leaving 50% of YOUR skillz in the bag - whatever those skillz are.

Regardless of whether the rider is strictly a street rider, or a AMA veteran, you should leave 50% of your 'ability' in your pocket on the street to save yourself from the plethora of unknowns entailed with a street situation. "Street" and "Track" are not comparable riding situations even though some street riders at times think so. The track is were I have learned to sharpen the skills I was woefully short on and have hopefully improved.

I will say that while I THINK I've slowed down and taking less risk on the street since I started trackriding, it may well be that I'm actually riding faster but at a greater comfort level than I was previously because of the skills I've learned. I'll tell you, riding on the street AT ANY SPEED scares me more now than it did before - just realizing how stupid I used to be. And the skills I learned on the track will hopefully help me save my azz if I miscalculate on the street.

Did you watch yesterday's MotoGP from Qatar?!

You know Tuf is talking about track veterans who are out on the street on a street ride, not during a race....one of my track coaches, says my inablity to go faster is because I'm "riding not to crash" and my reply is "dang skippy"....

It is hard to explain sometimes, because a lot of street riders have never done a trackday - and it's like a skydive ("you can't actually understand until you actually do it"). From my personal experience (and my now-addicted Team Gixxer buds) riding on the track is an eye-opening experience with a boatload of fun-factor included....

P.S. You might not believe this (I didn't) but the Advanced Group at a trackday usually has the least crashes, even though they are going WAAAY fast. It's usually the Intermediate group that's the most dangerous to themselves (just enough skill to THINK they are fast, but without the self-control to know when they are over their limits)...

Back