Our own worst enemies?

fallenarch

THE SLOW RIDER
Registered
Today I was sitting at a stop light looking to make a right turn on the red signal. The road is 4 lanes, 2 each way with an island in the middle. I was on my way to the cleaners from work driving my GMC. There was an SUV approaching me in the right lane, doing about 30 mph or so. The limit on this road is 45, so I figured I would make the right turn and go to the left lane to make things plenty safe. I looked to check the SUV, then begin turning my head back to commit to the turn.

I saw movement out of the corner of my eye, sort of a blur. I looked back to my left and a guy on a sport bike popped out from the SUV in the left lane doing maybe 55 or 60. Technically he was speeding but he wasn’t really flying or anything – who among us hasn’t gunned it and got up a few mph over the limit?

This really shook me up. The worst thing I can imagine doing is to splat another rider – I would rather crash myself. I’m really careful when I’m in a cage to look out for bikes. But if I hadn’t taken a second look before turning today that guy on the sport bike would be spending a night or two in the hospital; or god forbid the morgue

We all hate cagers with cell phones, or eating, or the infamous texting. But maybe we’re our own worst enemy out there on the road sometimes. Sure it’s the person failing to yield the right-of-way who causes the accident but it’s up to us to make ourselves as visible as possible. That guy on the sport bike didn’t really do anything wrong but he didn’t recognize a seriously dangerous situation that his 15 mph over the limit could have made deadly. Being a good rider means developing a sense for dangerous situations.

You guys be careful out there. :thumbsup:

thats how bikes don't get seen , I try not to change lanes very often just for that reason. Some one looks and see's that it is clear then you move around a car and are right where they just looked .

One of my accidents was very similar to that. A van didn't see me overcoming a slow moving car and pulled out slowly. I ended up being like a huge bug into the side of his van. Totaled me, the van, and my new RD400 Daytona Special. Very bad day!

About a month ago I had an suv and an 18 wheeler try to make a busa sandwich out of me on a multiple lane highway.
We all were going pretty good. :whistle: I checked over my shoulder, gave it even more throttle and got into the "speed" lane.
My heart dropped when I seen the unmistakeable white front end of a Yamaha R1 in my mirror. I thought "how the ____ did I not see him?!?!" I tried to motion to him I was sorry that I overlooked him, he didn't understand. We got off at an exit and I told him I didn't see him and he kinda interrupted said "Oh, no, you're good"
I felt like crap.
I read on a local forum he went down the next day. He wasn't hurt, just rashed plastics. They said he was going too hot into a corner...

Now, I wonder, was he going triple digits or did he see me and pin the throttle to catch up to me......or maybe I really did overlook him. :dunno:

None of which make me feel any better about the whole deal.

I relate to your fear of hitting a biker.. I was on my way to work tonight and was a little spirited in my s2000. I was coming up on a red light to which I was going to turn right at. Well there was a bike in the drive way of the gas station who turns in to the lane stops right in front of me. I lock up breaks and as soon as I hear them skreech, I pump them (as I pushed further than the abs wanted to work) I stopped a good 3 feet behind him, but he almost because the new s-badge of my hood. Then he looked back like he owned the road. After compossing myself I squeeze up where he saw me trying to go right and he gave room. I just looked at him with discuss as I thought I would have REALLY hated myself. I know riding a bit aggressive keeps you in better control of what the cagers do, but I also agree that we as bikers and tend to hit the road like we own it, but yet have the least amount of protection. Kind of like Nepolian complex or something.

Well slowing down (using caution) when entering and intersection is said in most courses few practice it.. kinda a silly to to go speeding into it since there is no way you are going to spot and LEO thats sitting in one of the other lanes. Seen bikers here change lanes while in the intersection, thats just plain dumb. Think you can't change lanes 100 feet before and after and intersection here in FL. Defensive driving will keep you alive and riding longer than gear..

Today I was sitting at a stop light looking to make a right turn on the red signal. The road is 4 lanes, 2 each way with an island in the middle. I was on my way to the cleaners from work driving my GMC. There was an SUV approaching me in the right lane, doing about 30 mph or so. The limit on this road is 45, so I figured I would make the right turn and go to the left lane to make things plenty safe. I looked to check the SUV, then begin turning my head back to commit to the turn.

I saw movement out of the corner of my eye, sort of a blur. I looked back to my left and a guy on a sport bike popped out from the SUV in the left lane doing maybe 55 or 60. Technically he was speeding but he wasn’t really flying or anything – who among us hasn’t gunned it and got up a few mph over the limit?

This really shook me up. The worst thing I can imagine doing is to splat another rider – I would rather crash myself. I’m really careful when I’m in a cage to look out for bikes. But if I hadn’t taken a second look before turning today that guy on the sport bike would be spending a night or two in the hospital; or god forbid the morgue

We all hate cagers with cell phones, or eating, or the infamous texting. But maybe we’re our own worst enemy out there on the road sometimes. Sure it’s the person failing to yield the right-of-way who causes the accident but it’s up to us to make ourselves as visible as possible. That guy on the sport bike didn’t really do anything wrong but he didn’t recognize a seriously dangerous situation that his 15 mph over the limit could have made deadly. Being a good rider means developing a sense for dangerous situations.

You guys be careful out there. :thumbsup:

He didn't? It's bad enough dealing with drivers who do not pay attention and or are distracted doing more important things while driving...:whistle: Pitty the fool on the motorcycle who speeds in, around or through intersections or heavily congested areas. You sir are in the minority when you took that second look and Mr. biker dude owes you big time.
As a motorcyclists not only do we need to assume all of the responsibility for our own safety, we need know few if any are actually looking out for us.

My little pickup has a serious blind spot right behind the door to about the back of the bed. Everything will look completely clear in both rearview and side mirrors, but you can completely hide a full size dresser right along side, and unless I do a head check before changing lanes I would never see it. But it's amazing how many times I've had people on all sorts of bikes, riding steadily along, right in that blind spot.
The very few close calls I've had with other bikes have been from them following too closely, or pulling up next to me in the same lane. Always been people I've been riding with, and a pointed talking to at the next pull over has always solved the problem before it became a real problem.:laugh:

It's a rare occurance when a bike is involved in a crash and the rider shares no responsiblity.

I had a very similar situation about a mile from my house over the summer. None the less, while driving to work(motorcycle dealership) in my truck plastered with "Honda East Toledo" stickers. I live a street away from a very busy road in Toledo. I always use my turn signal when switching lanes, making turns, merging etc. Well I was coming up to a red light slowing down from about 45mph and had to switch lanes to make sure I could hit the on ramp about another mile up. So I hit turn signal, check RH mirror, look over shoulder then switch..... Come to a stop at the light and there's an orange CBR600RR right behind waving his arms at me like I tried to kill him.

I stomach went into knots because I thought I almost just ran this dude over, so I made sure he knew how sorry I was. After a few minutes, I thought to myself that he was nowhere behind me when I was slowing down and my only thought was he had to of been ducking in and out of traffic and came up on me as I switched lanes

Usually it is the bikers fault. The stats show that if you don't drink, ride at night, speed or go into turns too quickly, your chance of an accident is down to about a car. The bikers driving is what rachets the risk sky high!

I've crashed numerous times. No crash ever involved any other vehicles. Not a single crash could be classified as an "Accident". Each and every getoff was directly due to no one other than me making poor decisions.

However, on this site as well as friends and acquaintences I have listened to countless lame a$$ excuses placing the blame everywhere except where it belonged.

When ask why I crashed I usually respond with "I simply ran out of talent when I needed it most"!

Tuff, i love that quote. The other one I love similar to it is, "all the gear, none of the talent":laugh:

I've crashed 3 times in my life. And every time my screw up was obvious to me before I even hit the ground. That "ahh s**t" feeling when you know that no amount of luck or skill is going to save you at this point.:laugh:

Back